Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CollegePartyBoy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Searching for GPS!!!

Where did this go! I used to get this on all my previous HTC phones, Incredible, T-Bolt, Rezound. I thought it was standard.

I cannot believe how quickly and accurately this phone discovers me. It is instantaneous.

I travel a ton, and every time I landed and turned on my HTC phones, I had to wait...and wait...and wait.
    jroc likes this.

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Default Re: Searching for GPS!!!

I know what you mean. it is nearly instantaneous.
    I once ran gps test app and it said that the Razr saw around 20 satellites immediately and started using most of them almost immediately.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

With or without Google location services activated??

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Quote Originally Posted by blakke39 View Post
    With or without Google location services activated??

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
    Google location services has nothing to do with the GPS. It uses local wifi hotspots to approximate your location without the GPS.

The GPS receiver is amazing on this phone. My Droid X sometimes had trouble getting a fix on 4 satellites for several minutes. This one always finds 15 or 20 instantly.

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts

Yep, I agree the GPS is quick and accurate. My Droid X would struggle at times also. This phone is instantaneous.

For reasons I can't understand, with Google location services enabled, my GPS is much more accurate (most of the time) than it is with Google location services off.

ROM
    Arctic HD

It's being phones only use aGPS so with it enabled it is finding known wifi locations to determine your location better along with cell towers and gps

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by carracerz14 View Post
    It's being phones only use aGPS so with it enabled it is finding known wifi locations to determine your location better along with cell towers and gps

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    I'm not sure what you mean by "only aGPS." Assisted GPS uses a full GPS receiver but adds information about local cell towers' locations. This is primarily for improving the speed of satellite fixes, because having an approximate location is a huge help in determining which satellites should be listened to. There is theoretically a small improvement in accuracy, but aGPS is used by phones mainly to improve fix speed. By the way, these phones also support sGPS ("simultaneous GPS"), which is a newer technology that can get the local cell location information directly from the tower, without needing a data connection to the assistance server that does the work in aGPS. I suspect the vastly improved fix times we're seeing has to do with the new sGPS support.