Searching for GPS!!!

CollegePartyBoy

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Where did this go! I used to get this on all my previous HTC phones, Incredible, T-Bolt, Rezound. I thought it was standard.

I cannot believe how quickly and accurately this phone discovers me. It is instantaneous.

I travel a ton, and every time I landed and turned on my HTC phones, I had to wait...and wait...and wait.

Swavek

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I know what you mean. it is nearly instantaneous.
I once ran gps test app and it said that the Razr saw around 20 satellites immediately and started using most of them almost immediately.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
With or without Google location services activated??

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Google location services has nothing to do with the GPS. It uses local wifi hotspots to approximate your location without the GPS.

The GPS receiver is amazing on this phone. My Droid X sometimes had trouble getting a fix on 4 satellites for several minutes. This one always finds 15 or 20 instantly.

jpr196

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Yep, I agree the GPS is quick and accurate. My Droid X would struggle at times also. This phone is instantaneous.

Bob-B

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
For reasons I can't understand, with Google location services enabled, my GPS is much more accurate (most of the time) than it is with Google location services off.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
It's being phones only use aGPS so with it enabled it is finding known wifi locations to determine your location better along with cell towers and gps

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
It's being phones only use aGPS so with it enabled it is finding known wifi locations to determine your location better along with cell towers and gps

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not sure what you mean by "only aGPS." Assisted GPS uses a full GPS receiver but adds information about local cell towers' locations. This is primarily for improving the speed of satellite fixes, because having an approximate location is a huge help in determining which satellites should be listened to. There is theoretically a small improvement in accuracy, but aGPS is used by phones mainly to improve fix speed. By the way, these phones also support sGPS ("simultaneous GPS"), which is a newer technology that can get the local cell location information directly from the tower, without needing a data connection to the assistance server that does the work in aGPS. I suspect the vastly improved fix times we're seeing has to do with the new sGPS support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance