Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Default Galaxy S3 vs. Droid Razr Maxx HD - Which should I get?

Just how much worse is the camera in the Maxx?

I don't really take many pics with my phone.

Default Re: Galaxy S3 vs. Droid Razr Maxx HD - Which should I get?

Quote Originally Posted by KSChris View Post
    Just how much worse is the camera in the Maxx?

I don't really take many pics with my phone.
    Daytime is fine. Not awesome. Low light indoors is where it's not that great.

Here is a daytime shot.

sent from RAZR HD MAXX
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S3 vs. Droid Razr Maxx HD - Which should I get?-uploadfromtaptalk1352852726006.jpg  

Here's an inside no flash shot of my kitchen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S3 vs. Droid Razr Maxx HD - Which should I get?-uploadfromtaptalk1352853493895.jpg  

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Megaroad View Post
    An update: I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was going to have my MAXX HD replaced because of a build-quality issue with the metal band near the volume control...I did get a replacement, and although it's better, it's still has a slight imperfection there. I actually had the guy at the store open up a few different boxes (he was very nice and accommodating about it) and they all had this issue to some degree or another. Also, the way the different pieces of metal meet up at the corners isn't perfect. This supports my notion that although this phone is made of really nice materials, the build quality is a little suspect. It's not a big deal as long as it doesn't lead to durability issues over the lifespan of the phone. I think I'm going to stick with it because I like the overall design of the phone and love the battery life. It still feels like more of a top-shelf gadget than the SIII because of the materials and design, but I can't say I'm 100% satisfied with the way the phone was assembled.

I think I can see what you're talking about with the metal band around the volume control and I think it might be by design and not a build issue. If you look at it closely, it looks to be a bit thicker than the rest of the band, almost like there are two pieces to it. I wouldn't worry about it.

Well here is my 2 cents. I have both phones on my desk now. S3 and Maxx HD. The Maxx is a little bulky to me and I really wish the on screen nav button were a little lower, but having said that the S3 buttons are a little too low and hard to use. I also like the physical home button on the S3 and the menu button as an option. I don't like the recent apps button on the Maxx. Holding down the home button is better IMO. Pictures on the S3 are better and so is the screen. The S3 seems to have it, but I am going to be using the Maxx HD as my phone. I can leave without a charger and not use my phone any different than if it was plugged in. I also travel in a poor sevice area and the Maxx will hold a signal, S3 drops and actually loses service. The plastic on the S3 is also a let down. Searching for contact or the alarm clock function with the google widget works on Maxx and not on S3. That I really don't understand. Removable battery is a nice feature, but I don't see me needing to EVER swap a battery on the Maxx. S3 also slips out of my hand a lot.

And I am really surprised that nobody mentioned that the S3 predictive text AND keyboard are aweful! Moto totally nailed it there.

I also like the home screen on the Maxx better. There is room for 2 rows of apps under the clock / weather widget and the S3 only one row.

There are so many different qualities between the 2 it is hard to pick, but after two weeks with both, Moto has my vote.
    jroc likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

Default Galaxy S3 vs. Droid Razr Maxx HD - Which should I get?

I'm leaning towards the Galaxy Note 2 now (not a choice in the OP I know)

But I saw one today and its amazing, plus it also has a big battery at 3100 mAh. Bigger screen and quad core too, but from what I hear the battery life on that should still be pretty great.
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

If call quality, signal strength, and battery are important to you then get the Max. If the camera and Samsung software features are important get the GS3. To me the screen quality is about the sane. The Max has overall better build quality but the GS3 is durable unless you drop it on the screen a certain way.

And yes I own both devices.

Sent from my Motorola Droid RAZR Max HD using the Android Central Forums app.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
    Thanked by:
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,708 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

gs3....battery life is maxx, and looks are "unlocked."

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Sorry to reply to an old thread but I've been going back and forth trying to decide between these 2 phones and I'm still not sure. First the 2gb of RAM in the GS3 makes me think it will perform better than the Maxx HD (even though they have the same Snapdragon S4 processor). Then I like the ability to swap out the battery in the GS3. Then it has a better camera and the premium suite features that came with the Jelly Bean upgrade. Here are the Samsung videos showing the premium suite features.

The advantages the Razr Maxx HD has over the GS3 are the huge built in battery, built in microHDMI port, kevlar back and water resistant nano coating. However one the biggest advantages the Maxx HD has is for international travelers who will use an international data plan. The Maxx HD also supports GSM on 850, 900, 1800 and 1900 MHz and WCMDA (aka UMTS/HSPA+) on 850, 900, 1900 and 2100 MHz which will give you 2G/3G data in almost every country. It's not clear if the Verizon GS3 supports GSM or not (I'm finding inconsistent information) but it almost definitely doesn't support international 3G data. The international GS3 (model GT-I9300) supports WCDMA on 850, 900, 1900 and 2100 MHz (like the Maxx HD) but the Verizon model doesn't. There is a huge thread on xda-developers on how to hack the Verizon GS3 to enable the international GSM and UMTS/HSPA but you'd be risking screwing up your GS3 to enable it. I think if you travel internationally a lot the Maxx HD is a better choice.

I was leaning towards the GS3 but then there was the recent report of GS3's failing after 150-200 days of use and the possibility that I might have to travel internationally for work so now I'm not sure. Does anybody have any comments/thoughts?
    Last edited by Sam K; 12-23-2012 at 02:03 AM.
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

To me the GS3 does not seem significantly faster than the Max HD. Samsung needed the second gb of ram because YouchWiz is so topheavy. Motoblur or whatever they are calling it these days is almost stock.

As for the reports of quality control issues with the GS3 remember the GS3 is a much higher profile handset and is selling more than any other android phone so problems will be more common and more discussed.

The international features of the Max are compelling and if you were definitely planning to travel internationally a lot I would say get that one. But if its just a possibility or something that might happen occasionally I would suggest you take a look at Verisons Global rental service which is free and allows you to borrow a global device for international trips.

Now if you will indulge me for a second here I will address something a little less tangible: long term satisfaction with the device. My gut is telling me that if you plan on keeping the phone for 2 years you will stay satisfied with your device longer if you get the max. For that refer you to the forums for last years Razr Max and the various GS2 variants.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts

I see no reason to get the GS3 with the Note 2 available. Played with a N2 for a while yesterday at a Verizon store and loved the S Pen and it actually didn't feel too big in my hand. Not sure how it is for everyday use being so big, but if you're leaning Samsung you are doing yourself a disservice by not checking out the N2.

That said, I hate Touchwiz and hardware buttons, and I'm happy with my Maxx HD, although I was happier before the JB upgrade.

Why do ppl hate touchwiz so much?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by diegoesk View Post

There are basically 3 reasons. Once upon a time ( back in the eclair, froyo, and Gingerbread days) it was the ugliest and most poorly designed UI and widgets, but it has come a long way since then. And there is a growing snobbish view that anything that changes the stock look and feel is bad. And filally there is s common misconception that "skins" significantly delay software updates which flat out isn't true. Its only one of many factors.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by whatwhat View Post
    I see no reason to get the GS3 with the Note 2 available. Played with a N2 for a while yesterday at a Verizon store and loved the S Pen and it actually didn't feel too big in my hand. Not sure how it is for everyday use being so big, but if you're leaning Samsung you are doing yourself a disservice by not checking out the N2.

That said, I hate Touchwiz and hardware buttons, and I'm happy with my Maxx HD, although I was happier before the JB upgrade.
    After installing Nova Launcher yesterday, I'm happier with my Maxx HD. I liked it before, but now I really like it. The phone scrolls through screens noticeably smoother now. The softkeys now really shine as a feature because I removed the redundant on-screen google bar but can still access Google Search/Voice Seach/Google Now with swipe-up-from-Home. Now I'm glad I have a phone with softkeys. I also made some other tweaks that I like with the customization options Nova has.

However, without Moto's launcher you do have to work around the lack of the Circles widget and the lack of the swipe-to-the-left for quick settings. I liked Moto's quick settings, but I'm okay with using an alternative to that because the lag in swiping to the left was annoying. I'm using Widgetsoid to add quick settings to the notifications pull-down instead. There is an advantage to that, in that you can put whatever quick settings you want in there, instead of what Moto picked.

Overall I feel that with Nova, the phone is smoother and more tailored to me. It took me a while to figure out what to replace Moto's widget and quick settings with so that I'm satisfied with the look and functionality, but I think the end result is a better phone for me. IMO, Maxx HD + Noval Launcher > GS3 because of the battery life and softkeys.
    Thanked by:
    revtech likes this.

I have a friend who loved the Note 2 but didn't like how big it was even though they said it was surprisingly small for being that big. They returned the Note 2 and got the GS3 and all they can keep saying is they miss the battery life of the Note 2 because GS3 has a much smaller battery. Then i show up at work with my Razr Maxx HD and they can't stop looking at it. They love the design and even the fact that the LED indicator is a big light so you don't always have to pick up your phone to see if you have a notification. Jelly bean is very snappy on the Razr Maxx HD and with Smart Actions you can do alot of things. Plus the predictive keyboard is amazing. The camera is is a good camera and even though the S3 and iPhone 5 camera are better it is still a good camera for the normal user. Of course if you want to be a photographer buy a professional camera.

The feature that i actually like better on the S3 is S-Beam because it transfers data from NFC bumps faster than Android Beam. The better camera is not a big sway for me and i am perfectly happy with my Maxx HD camera. I had time to play with 2 friends Galaxy S3 phones prior to making my decision and after a week of having the Razr Maxx HD i am still happy about the features. I am a heavy user and i can still go without a charge until the afternoon next day on heavy use. When i say heavy use i mean anywhere from 2-4 hrs phone time. Lots of web browsing (which eats most battery life because heating the screen is the biggest battery hog) and apps like scoremobile and 4 email addresses all syncing. Keep in mind most of the time is on 4G compared to wifi because i don't connect to wifi at work. So i would say 2/3 4G time with a fairly poor signal. Plus the S3 build is iffy to me and it doesn't look good in a case either. The GS3 is a great phone though but so is the Razr Maxx HD. it will all come down to preference either way.

Also Jelly Bean is close to stock but Moto Blur still gives you some cool features to enhance the experience without it taking away from Jelly Bean or being a drag on the OS

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sorry to reply to an old thread but I've been going back and forth trying to decide between these 2 phones and I'm still not sure. First the 2gb of RAM in the GS3 makes me think it will perform better than the Maxx HD (even though they have the same Snapdragon S4 processor). Then I like the ability to swap out the battery in the GS3. Then it has a better camera and the premium suite features that came with the Jelly Bean upgrade. Here are the Samsung videos showing the premium suite features.

The advantages the Razr Maxx HD has over the GS3 are the huge built in battery, built in microHDMI port, kevlar back and water resistant nano coating. However one the biggest advantages the Maxx HD has is for international travelers who will use an international data plan. The Maxx HD also supports GSM on 850, 900, 1800 and 1900 MHz and WCMDA (aka UMTS/HSPA+) on 850, 900, 1900 and 2100 MHz which will give you 2G/3G data in almost every country. It's not clear if the Verizon GS3 supports GSM or not (I'm finding inconsistent information) but it almost definitely doesn't support international 3G data. The international GS3 (model GT-I9300) supports WCDMA on 850, 900, 1900 and 2100 MHz (like the Maxx HD) but the Verizon model doesn't. There is a huge thread on xda-developers on how to hack the Verizon GS3 to enable the international GSM and UMTS/HSPA but you'd be risking screwing up your GS3 to enable it. I think if you travel internationally a lot the Maxx HD is a better choice.

I was leaning towards the GS3 but then there was the recent report of GS3's failing after 150-200 days of use and the possibility that I might have to travel internationally for work so now I'm not sure. Does anybody have any comments/thoughts?
    Last edited by jpeezus; 12-24-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diegoesk View Post

It's ugly

Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM

It's ugly
    But it's extremely useful

GSIII Tapatalk 2

So I'm testing out the Maxx HD while my iphone 5 sits on the desk. When I tried the work Maxx HD it had ICS, smooth and quick. I updated this Maxx HD with JB and I've noticed it being laggy when switching between home screens. I've done the normal Factory Reset but still have issues. I'm curious if Moto will release a performance update to resolve the lag. I wouldn't eliminate that I'm very OCD with these kinds of things either.

Thoughts?

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by taylorz_412 View Post
    But it's extremely useful

GSIII Tapatalk 2
    Just answering the question presented to me. Is Touchwiz really substantially more useful than stock or almost stock?

Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM

Just answering the question presented to me. Is Touchwiz really substantially more useful than stock or almost stock?
    In my opinion and many others it is.. It may not be as visually attractive but has more useful features

GSIII Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts

In my opinion and many others it is.. It may not be as visually attractive but has more useful features

GSIII Tapatalk 2
    Very informative. Thank you.
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

GSIII Tapatalk 2
    Modern TouchWiz absolutely. The old one was just all around bad ... Offered absolutely nothing that could not be gotten elsewhere in a nicer package.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

taylorz_412 likes this.

Just got mine yesterday, and I swapped the SIM from the S3 into it. I had the OLD Maxx before the S3. A few observations;
    I could not get through the day on a battery in the S3. I got an Onite extended battery for it which fixed the problem. But I think even with the Onite, the MaxxHD has better life. At least if I can believe battery percentages. I have not been anal enough to record voltages on a daily basis for comparison - and that would be too much messy data since there are no typical days for me. I use my phone a LOT. It's always in my hands with the screen on it seems. Usually running texting or the HP41 calc app. Sometimes Tesla or something. I'm an engineer, and this thing took over all duties of my scientific calcs. The battery of the HD seems better in terms of remaining charge than the old Maxx. Amazing.

I miss the screen on the S3 and will probably go back to it on a pretty regular basis. I wish there was a simpler way of swapping phones than swapping SIMs. I suspect I will damage the contacts on the SIM eventually, then I will be SOL until I get to my local Verizon. The HD screen is good, make no mistake. But the S3 is better. More real estate and a better look to it. No one beats Samsung at displays. But the lower density of the HD makes no difference to my eyes - what I see is a better color palette and balance on the S3.

I love the notification bar light. Classy. It doesn't take much to make me happy

The size of the HD is easier for me with average hands. The display of the S3 is better for me with less than average eyes. The buttons on the HD are far better. JB is good, but sometimes annoying. I swapped launchers on both to the Nova launcher and both are set up the same way. I hated wasting valuable screen on a google bar I will never use. If I want google, I will fire up a browser.

Coming from the old Maxx I am POed that the jacks are in different spots. Neither my bedside cradle nor my rather expensive car mount will work with it.

I like the feel and materials of the HD better than the S3. Even better than the old Maxx. The case is nice and grippy. But there is such a thing as too much carbon fiber. It makes the phone look tacky. I don't know who in the world actually thinks woven carbon fiber is classy looking. Maybe as an accent. They need to get the people who design for Blackberry in to show them how it's done. The S3 is beautiful for what it is. It's not trying to be a business mans accessory - it's trying to be state of the art phone and looks the part. The materials, fit and finish on the S3 are awesome.

The HD and old Maxx are amazing speaker phones. The S3, not so much. Call quality as a handset on both the old and new Maxx and S3 are superb. Nothing to choose from there.

Performance of the HD is really good. I have not noticed a single problem with anything stuttering or pausing.

So, what do you want from your phone? The S3 and HD are on equal terms as phones. The display of the S3 is better, but the phone is taller and wider, but thinner. Stock, the HD will run far, far longer than the S3. I can't decide which one I like better.

I just saw you came from the iPhone. I would be more afraid to drop than damn thing than the S3. Glass is just going to explode off it. Battery on the iPhone purely sucks compared to the Maxx - there is actually no comparison. I couldn't get through a day on my old iPhone4. The S3 build is up there with iPhone - difference in materials just makes it feel different. But that display! Kicks the iPhone to the curb. Even the iPhone 5, which has an amazing display, which is far too small. A dead iPhone is a useless iPhone, and a dead S3 the same. So I think if you are looking for something with a premium feel to it (note that feel and actual premium-ness are two different things) get the HD. It feels better in the hands than an iPhone, has a superb display, runs until the sun burns out, and just makes the iPhone look dated. The S3 does that, but even more so, but has no battery advantage in stock form over the iPhone. The advantage there is you can buy a spare battery or get an extended one. Neither option is available for iPhone.
    Last edited by MikeLip; 12-28-2012 at 10:30 AM.
    Thanked by 3:
    ozarkham likes this.

ROM
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

I love being able to swap batteries. I have been without power due to an ice storm for 3 days and keep my batteries on a charging dock plugged into my vehicle. Everyone around me with iphones have to limit use or leave it in their vehicle.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast