Data Plan Being Eaten By Chrome?

Rj Anderson

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
So I recently got the Maxx HD (from Thundersuckbolt) and thus lost my unlimited data plan which was up soon anyways. Now I'm on a 2GB per month plan. I noticed today that even though I'm only two weeks into the new plan, 90% has been used. I looked at my phone settings/Data Usage and noticed Chrome has used 1.5GB of data (background)! What exactly is Chrome doing? For now I have restricted background data until I figure this out. Any help would be appreciated.

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
First and foremost...Congrats on your new device. Although you may have lost unlimited, 2GB is a whole lot of data for chrome to have used. I believe...I repeat...believe the 1.5GB used is probably a proration of your previous use before you went with the tiered plan. I'm just taking a wild guess. Nonetheless, hope you find an answer to your data issue.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
So I recently got the Maxx HD (from Thundersuckbolt) and thus lost my unlimited data plan which was up soon anyways. Now I'm on a 2GB per month plan. I noticed today that even though I'm only two weeks into the new plan, 90% has been used. I looked at my phone settings/Data Usage and noticed Chrome has used 1.5GB of data (background)! What exactly is Chrome doing? For now I have restricted background data until I figure this out. Any help would be appreciated.

That's a lot of bandwidth. Mine doesn't show much at all. It's hard to imagine that kind of data unless you're streaming video.

ThePurpleAndroid

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Did you make sure that you closed out your browser completely? Leaving the browser windows open will eat up data. Try Jucie Defender if you aren't already using it.

?~?~?HTC Evo Design?~?~?

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
With everything stated here it could be a combo of all of these. 2gb eaten by a web browser is insane unless you literally have been using it since you got your phone and haven't put it down. I don't know Verizon's policy on data proportioning when switching from unlimited to tiered but it wouldn't shock me that they screw you over there. That would be my first guess. Even though Chrome could remain open in recents should be the reason its chewing data either.

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
When you say, "close out your browser completely," is pressing the home button when your browser is open enough to close it, or will that still leave it running in the background? I'm a little confused about how "multi-tasking" works, whether that's a list of open programs or whether it's just a list of stuff that was recently open.

myotherbrotherdarrell

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
When you say, "close out your browser completely," is pressing the home button when your browser is open enough to close it, or will that still leave it running in the background? I'm a little confused about how "multi-tasking" works, whether that's a list of open programs or whether it's just a list of stuff that was recently open.

That will leave it running in the background.

I use Advanced Task Manager Pro
It allows you to kill every running at regular intervals as well as manually killing running apps. You can set regular kill to as often as every 1 minute or every 4 hours.
It has an auto kill feature which kills running apps when the screen is turned off
There's a start-up function that kills apps when the device is turned on
And finally there is an ignore list to keep it from killing the apps you want to be left running (widgets ,etc)

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Wouldn't manually closing each tab inside Chrome by clicking the little X in the corner before hitting the Home button stop all background stuff?

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
That is an exorbitant amount of background data. I've never seen a web browser need that much data. Heck, even Spotify doesn't use that much background data and it's a data hog. Here is my use from last month. Notice how the background data is only very small in proportion to the foreground data.

BTW, I have the little brother version of your phone, the Razr Maxx.

Sent from Droid Razr Maxx using Tapatalk 2.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352641992150.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352641992150.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 74

fankyousomuch

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Came here to post about this as well. I got a data usage warning in my notification today. Chrome used 1.5gb of background data within the span of just about TWO HOURS. I did notice that I had 4 tabs open, but nothing that would eat up 1.5gb of data within 2 hours. Just some static content. Did you ever figure out what caused this data usage?

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Well there is the Chrome setting under Bandwidth management about preloading webpages. Mine is set to Only on wifi. I just now changed to it NEVER.

gusrouff

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I think that Chrome has a problem. I've had my Razr Maxx for at least 6 months now. This past month...and now this month - CHROME is eating my data plan. I never even came close to half way in the first 3-4 months - - now - I was over last month and this month is looking the same - - and it's Chrome every time. I think that there has to have been a recent update to Chrome that is now causing this. Need to complain to Verizon and to Google. I run Advanced Task Killer Pro - and always have - this is on Google I think with a "release". It's just been these past two months that this all started.

meldroid

May 14, 2013
Visit site
My data started being chewed up on the 9th may. Right at the end of my billing cycle.

2gb in two days. 1.3gb foreground data. 700mb in background

Then happened again on the first day of my billing cycle.

1.3gb in one day. 900mb foreground, 400mb background.

Majority of the time I am on wifi. And only use mobile data on the train.

There is definately a fault with chrome.

I have uninstalled it as a precaution.

Will google pay for the data use? Nope
Will telstra refund the excess data charges? Nope

joelbon

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You can also go into the settings>Developers options>Don't keep activities. This should stop all processes as you leave the app, by any means. Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

djluis48

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Wow, just noticed this issue. Its really troublesome. Chrome downloaded 2.5gb in background between the las two days. Im definetly uninstalling it now. Will try with Firefox or Opera. -.-

dark_mirage

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Yep same here. Uninstalled for clogging up my metered connection at the beginning of the month. I switched to Firefox.

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2

whTeverrr

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Same here. Chrome was consuming insane amounts of data. I uninstalled it and my data usage dropped by 90%. Thanks google for the overage!

YV Rao

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Chrome Browser high Network Activity even during idle :( fix )
(we may get a fat internet bill) only thing that worked for me is this:

* right-click on Chrome icon SHORTCUT
* click PROPERTIES
* add -DISABLE-BACKGROUND-NETWORKING at the end of TARGET:
* click APPLY

old TARGET:
"C:\.....\..... .....\chrome.exe"

new TARGET:
"C:\.....\..... .....\chrome.exe" -DISABLE-BACKGROUND-NETWORKING

Steve Hollingsworth

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
It's not going to cost me anything, but it is going to slow me to 2G speeds for the last 10 days of my month cycle. On my Motorola Moto G (2nd Gen) I see consumption of about 50MB/day without doing any audio or video at all. As a system app I can't uninstall it and the only data setting I can find is a data compression option that's claimed to be saving me about 28 percent vs. uncompressed. But what is it downloading all the time that I DON'T want or need? Sheesh!

If there's a special place to go where it means not just a few settings but ALL settings, I'm not that Android smart yet, so anyone able to provide guidance there, I'd appreciate the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech