Nighttime Clock / Alarm

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I know there are a ton of clocks/timers/alarms. As a constant traveler it would be nice to have a clock that on a tap took over the screen, stayed visible all night on screen (with configurable brightness), and have one or two alarms. It would take over a nighttime alarm clock duties so with each hotel room you wouldn't have to re-learn how to set the alarm.

I found one that is really good except that it blanks when the system screen timer times out. So, if you woke up at night you still had to hunt for the phone to wake up the app to get the time.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

myotherbrotherdarrell

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I know there are a ton of clocks/timers/alarms. As a constant traveler it would be nice to have a clock that on a tap took over the screen, stayed visible all night on screen (with configurable brightness), and have one or two alarms. It would take over a nighttime alarm clock duties so with each hotel room you wouldn't have to re-learn how to set the alarm.

I found one that is really good except that it blanks when the system screen timer times out. So, if you woke up at night you still had to hunt for the phone to wake up the app to get the time.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

I tried that on another phone and after about 1 month of the screen being on all night I had really really bad burn-in.
I could still see the image of the alarm clock app after I had closed it. Even after I rebooted the device.

If I remember the name of the app I'll post back but it escapes me at the moment.

galpdawg

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
the maxx hd has a desk clock you can leave on all night and dim. go into alarm then hit options and choose desk clock. you will see the time date and the time you have alarm set to. touch and hold screen for a few seconds and it will go black with just time an date displayed. NOt sure if this is what you wanted but it should do the job.

Edit. It might only stay on screen if phone is plugged in.

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
the maxx hd has a desk clock you can leave on all night and dim. go into alarm then hit options and choose desk clock. you will see the time date and the time you have alarm set to. touch and hold screen for a few seconds and it will go black with just time an date displayed. NOt sure if this is what you wanted but it should do the job.

Edit. It might only stay on screen if phone is plugged in.
Apologies ........... still learning this phone/Android. I don't see any icon that says Alarm or Clock or Time that came with the phone.. Where would I find that?

Also, the first app I DL'ed to try this with is simply called Clock. The second one is Alarm Clock Plus (free). Again neither seem to claim the screen and stay on while not plugged in and neither of their settings imply they would or could be set to stay on while unplugged.

EDIT: The app Clock does stay active as a digital clock face if the phone is plugged in. It goes black if the phone is not plugged in or is unplugged. Comes back if you plug the phone back in.

Last edited:

dirkbonn

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Apologies ........... still learning this phone/Android. I don't see any icon that says Alarm or Clock or Time that came with the phone.. Where would I find that?

Also, the first app I DL'ed to try this with is simply called Clock. The second one is Alarm Clock Plus (free). Again neither seem to claim the screen and stay on while not plugged in and neither of their settings imply they would or could be set to stay on while unplugged.

EDIT: The app Clock does stay active as a digital clock face if the phone is plugged in. It goes black if the phone is not plugged in or is unplugged. Comes back if you plug the phone back in.

It's at the bottom of the date/time circle widget. See the little alarm clock at the bottom of the circle? Touch it!

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Got it. Didn't see it because I'm not using that widget. For some reason you can't use the built in widgets when using a third party launcher. Too bad. The circles widget is one of the nicest.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I use Bedside which is a paid app but I love it. I can make it very dim (dimmer than any other app I've tried) but even better I can set it up so that no LED lights flash at night, no notifications come through, only phone calls come through or only phone calls from specific people. I've also set up a Smart Action that activates Bedside if my phone is plugged in between 9:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. With the Maxx virtually never needing bump charging this works perfectly for me. I don't plug it in until I'm going to bed and as soon as I do Bedside starts up with my dimmed screen. You can set up an alarm to repeat during the week so you shouldn't have to keep setting that up.

I've never had screen burn in but I keep Bedside VERY dim and the numbers for the clock are a light gray (black background). Anything brighter than that wakes me up.

What I'd love to see is someone enhance an app like Bedside one step further and allow the backlight to get brighter the closer it gets to the time for the alarm to go off. With it being right beside my bed at face level the gradual brightening of the screen would wake me more gently than a blaring alarm going off in pitch dark. A "sunrise" clock of sorts.

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
OK ....... found two that seem to allow the alarm clock display to remain on even if the phone is unplugged ........

Bedside developer got back to me saying: "Go into Bedside's Preferences, then Extras -> Keep Screen On (check it). That should keep the display on while Bedside is open even if it's not charging. You can also use the Built-in Screensaver if you'd like." He does warn (obviously) that on some phones the display might drain the battery significantly and might not last an 8hr night. Your mileage may vary :)

AdyClock - Night Alarm Clock also allows, through a setting, to keep the alarm clock display on
all the time even when the phone is unplugged. Trying that now ............ ran it landscape for 45min and the battery has gone from 81% to 80%. Not bad ..... almost unbelievable.

EDIT: I tried the Ady Clock for 7hrs last night. Display on the entire time. The battery went from low 80s to high 60s. A drop of ~12% which, of course varies with size of battery. One thing I didn't like was how bright the display was/is. Way too bright.

Last edited: