Smart Actions and turning wi-fi on based on location

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
How have your results been getting the wi-fi to automatically turn on based on your arrival at specified locations? I've been trying to have it automatically turn wi-fi on when I'm at work and when I'm at home, but the results have been spotty. Seems to work sometimes, and sometimes not. Has anyone gotten this to work reliably? I'm still trying to decide whether Smart Actions is worth using.

duff1914

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Its definitely worth it. At first it was a little spotty with me but after giving it a few tries it works perfectly. I use it at home and at work to automatically connect to wifi and other things using location as a trigger. I always have these two location items selected and it gives me no problems.

uploadfromtaptalk1352780142013.jpg

Stock Droid RAZR MAXX HD

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Its definitely worth it. At first it was a little spotty with me but after giving it a few tries it works perfectly. I use it at home and at work to automatically connect to wifi and other things using location as a trigger. I always have these two location items selected and it gives me no problems.

View attachment 46013

Stock Droid RAZR MAXX HD

Hmm, I have those two checked, and also Standalone GPS services and VZW location services checked (I don't know whether having them all checked is good or bad or what). I'm wondering whether it's having problems because I take the subway to and from work, which confuses it because I have no signal while I'm traveling?

When I open up Google maps it puts me in the right spot on the map with no problem, so the GPS is working.

Under wi-fi settings I don't have "auto-connect wi-fi" checked, and I assume I don't have to or else it would be automatically turning on when I don't want it to, right?

duff1914

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I don't have auto connect checked either and it still kicks on with no problem. Sometimes I have noticed that the smart action takes a few minutes to come on when you arrive at the location.

Stock Droid RAZR MAXX HD

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
My company has two buildings across the street from each other. My location based Smart Action worked for my primary building. Sometimes it worked if I was across the street and sometimes it didn't. I wouldn't expect it to be so precise; I figured it work at both locations.

I bought a pack of Samsung Tec Tiles for $20 with shipping a couple weeks ago. I've been using those instead. They are even more customizable than the Smart Actions and work 100% of the time. I'd recommend looking into Tec Tiles.

desse3

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
is anyone having problems after upgrading to jelly bean? i have the same location settings as the picture that was posted, and wifi wont trigger on when i arrive at home. it worked like a charm before the upgrade, but hasnt worked since