1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Estimated data usage

Ok, I'm looking for some estimates from some of you travelers out there. We have just upgraded our VZW plan to the 10gb of shared data between 4 people and are going on a trip during Christmas to my in-laws. So if I use Navigator (not VZNavigator) to get to where I'm going, anyone have a rough estimate of the amount of data it will use up during that drive. I am driving from South Carolina to Arkansas and the total trip is around 14 1/2 hrs. I am in no hurry so I will break it up into two 7 hour driving days. Any estimates out there??

Thanks

Default Re: Estimated data usage

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredJedi View Post
    Ok, I'm looking for some estimates from some of you travelers out there. We have just upgraded our VZW plan to the 10gb of shared data between 4 people and are going on a trip during Christmas to my in-laws. So if I use Navigator (not VZNavigator) to get to where I'm going, anyone have a rough estimate of the amount of data it will use up during that drive. I am driving from South Carolina to Arkansas and the total trip is around 14 1/2 hrs. I am in no hurry so I will break it up into two 7 hour driving days. Any estimates out there??

Thanks
    If you're talking about Google Maps navigation, my experience is that it uses about 10-15 MB/hour. That's around 100 hours/GB. 10GB is probably way much unless you plan on streaming a lot of video, the only way one normally gets into large numbers of gigs. (Pandora also quotes around 15 MB/hour, which is typical for music streaming.) The good news is that you can change it down or up anytime online.

My kid works in an internet content company and they had a major firewall outage. He played hero by using his phone as 4G hotspot for 6 colleagues for an entire day. They were editing all kinds of graphics-heavy pages and I was worried he'd blow my 2 GB family plan. Together, they used 50 MB. Except for video, a gigabyte is a lot of bytes.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Estimated data usage

Thank you so much for the input, I feel better. I know 10 is a lot but we looked back at our usage and at one point I used 5gb myself. With football season here, I watched quite a bit of WatchESPN when not home. I know that will decrease now that the season is winding down though. So with my 5 plus the others (we added someone to the line) we got almost to 8 and don't want to chance it. However, like you said, if after the holidays we start using a lot less then I can switch it down some.

Thanks again.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums