Charging

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I just charge every night, its too difficult to let it drain and charge to 100% every time...in fact, its impossible. Though I've read other chargers can cause issues and the Motorola one has some circuitry in it, don't know if there is any truth to that, but it doesn't matter, I've never been able to kill my battery in a day anyhow.

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I've read conflicting stories about your question. Some say its best to drain the battery before charge, whereas others say its better not to allow it to drain between charges. Hopefully someone can shed some light on which method is better. :confused:

I personally charge it every night.

sent from RAZR HD MAXX

dirkbonn

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Here's everything you want to know about charging and discharging Lithium-ion and Lithium-ion polymer batteries. Our Razr series Motorola phones have Lit-ion polymer batteries. When you access the link there's a section about overcharging, over discharging and also talks about the similarities of the polymer batteries.

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

There's lots of info on the above linked site so surf around.

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Here's everything you want to know about charging and discharging Lithium-ion and Lithium-ion polymer batteries. Our Razr series Motorola phones have Lit-ion polymer batteries. When you access the link there's a section about overcharging, over discharging and also talks about the similarities of the polymer batteries.

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

There's lots of info on the above linked site so surf around.

I think I need a more basic "do and don't" haha. I wasn't sure what the article was talking about with voltage and stuff.

dirkbonn

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I think I need a more basic "do and don't" haha. I wasn't sure what the article was talking about with voltage and stuff.

This was at the bottom of the page I linked.

Simple Guidelines for Charging Lithium-based Batteries
? A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger.

? Charge at a moderate temperature. Do not charge below freezing.

? Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better.

? Chargers use different methods for ?ready? indication. The light signal may not always indicate a full charge.

? Discontinue using charger and/or battery if the battery gets excessively warm.

? Before prolonged storage, apply some charge to bring the pack to about half charge.

? Over-discharged batteries can be ?boosted? to life again. Discard pack if the voltage does not rise to a normal level within a minute while on boost.

Does this help?

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
This was at the bottom of the page I linked.

Simple Guidelines for Charging Lithium-based Batteries
? A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger.

? Charge at a moderate temperature. Do not charge below freezing.

? Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better.

? Chargers use different methods for ?ready? indication. The light signal may not always indicate a full charge.

? Discontinue using charger and/or battery if the battery gets excessively warm.

? Before prolonged storage, apply some charge to bring the pack to about half charge.

? Over-discharged batteries can be ?boosted? to life again. Discard pack if the voltage does not rise to a normal level within a minute while on boost.

Does this help?

It's just that it doesn't say whether it's good to let it the charge run down sometimes before charging, or whether it's bad to leave it plugged into the charger for a long time, stuff like that.

As far the "turn it off while charging," that's a no-go for me. I only have a cell phone, no land line, so I'm not comfortable cutting off my contact with people while I'm charging it.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It's just that it doesn't say whether it's good to let it the charge run down sometimes before charging, or whether it's bad to leave it plugged into the charger for a long time, stuff like that.

As far the "turn it off while charging," that's a no-go for me. I only have a cell phone, no land line, so I'm not comfortable cutting off my contact with people while I'm charging it.

There is no reason to ever drain the battery to 0%.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

dirkbonn

May 19, 2010
Visit site

In the link I sent, this is in the "Over-discharging lithium-ionbatteries" section;

Li-ion should never be discharged too low........

In the "Over-charging Lithium-ion batteries" section, it said this;

Lithium-ion operates safely within the designated operating voltages; however, the battery becomes unstable if inadvertently charged to a higher than specified voltage

And this;

Lithium-ion is not the only battery that is a safety hazard if overcharged

Those statements alone would lead me to believe you should not leave the charger on to long.
So like I said all the info you were looking for was on the battery university website.

I agree with you regarding turning off the phone while charging as my wife and I gave up our landlines many years ago.

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much about overcharging. Unless the charger and phone malfunction, the battery will not receive extra energy once it's charged. It doesn't hurt to disconnect the charger (and unplug it to save a little on the electric bill) but it's nothing to worry about too much.

The big enemy of these batteries is heat. A charging battery is a warm battery. A phone that's doing a lot is a warm environment. So, for instance, the normal suggestion to keep your phone plugged in when using it as a mobile hotspot (native or FoxFi) is not a good idea anymore. Keep your eye on battery level when you're using it for anything that makes the back run warm, but don't charge it then. Charge it when it's back in standby mode. Waiting for calls is fine. But keeping it plugged into the car charger while using Google navigation with the screen on, probably not so good. Use the battery capacity to get a few hours of GPS+screen. If it gets low, plug it in again but keep the screen off as much as you can.

Keeping the battery cool is much more important than worrying about charge cycle.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
In the link I sent, this is in the "Over-discharging lithium-ionbatteries" section;

Li-ion should never be discharged too low........

In the "Over-charging Lithium-ion batteries" section, it said this;

Lithium-ion operates safely within the designated operating voltages; however, the battery becomes unstable if inadvertently charged to a higher than specified voltage

And this;

Lithium-ion is not the only battery that is a safety hazard if overcharged

Those statements alone would lead me to believe you should not leave the charger on to long.
So like I said all the info you were looking for was on the battery university website.

I agree with you regarding turning off the phone while charging as my wife and I gave up our landlines many years ago.

Once the RAZR battery reaches 100% it will discharge to about 95% before charging again. Like most devices, many chargers, especially OEM, cut off the power safely when needed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2