Considering the Maxx HD, but the camera ....

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi Folks,

Such a huge attraction to the Maxx HD for me as I contemplate my Thunderbolt upgrade, and the camera stories are about the only negative I hear. I wonder - is it known to be a hardware issue at this point or software? If this is something that might be fixed with an update then it almost isn't a flaw, just a temporary drawback ....

Any thoughts?

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
In general, the Motorola cameras aren't as nice as what Samsung, HTC, LG, or Sony put on their phones. By no means are they terrible though. I never had any issues with the camera on my DROID RAZR. However, if you're really picky about picture quality, you might want to look elsewhere.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
In general, the Motorola cameras aren't as nice as what Samsung, HTC, LG, or Sony put on their phones. By no means are they terrible though. I never had any issues with the camera on my DROID RAZR. However, if you're really picky about picture quality, you might want to look elsewhere.

Thanks Paul. I'm kinda actually looking for something to help me ignore it, cuz it's among the only negatives to this phone (that I'm hearing about) . Jelly Bean coming wipes out the update fear, and the phone seems a powerhouse in every other way. Arg.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
What good is a marginally better camera if you don't have a battery that will handle a day at the park taking photos and videos of your kids. There are no outlets in the park,at the ball game or on the lake. The peace of mind of knowing you can shoot all the shots you want without compromising your ability to use it as a phone too in my opinion trumps a marginally better camera. The camera on this phone does not 'suck'. Go to a store and try out both before you buy. You'll get the Maxx HD.

Sent using the Amazing RAZR MaxxHD

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
matter of opinion. I would ALREADY own a Maxx HD if the camera didn't suck so badly. I went to verizon to check it out recently and the camera was so bad that I quickly abandoned the idea of getting the phone, despite it otherwise being pretty nice. to each his own. If you guys think you can get passable images from that phone, in other-than-bright sunlight, than I say "go for it". if you want a phone that can shoot in less than bright outdoor lighting, this phone will SORELY disappoint.

WrexAndroid

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I went from TB to the DRM HD and my biggest concern was also the camera. I don't use the native app and instead use Camera360. It seems to take a bit better pictures than the native app. If you set the native app to HDR the pictures come out much better.

Depends though on what you are going to do with the pics.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

Example of a more general, general public opinion.

how could it be "temporary" when every Moto phone has a crappy camera?? they all SUCK.

matter of opinion. I would ALREADY own a Maxx HD if the camera didn't suck so badly. I went to verizon to check it out recently and the camera was so bad that I quickly abandoned the idea of getting the phone, despite it otherwise being pretty nice. to each his own. If you guys think you can get passable images from that phone, in other-than-bright sunlight, than I say "go for it". if you want a phone that can shoot in less than bright outdoor lighting, this phone will SORELY disappoint.

This is for those that value the camera more than anything....or put camera use at the top of their list.

Figure out which one you are....and go from there. I wouldnt say terrible or suck either, but there are better cameras in other phones. Could be software.

Some forums that users posted pics in: will let yall be the judge...

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-razr-hd-maxx-hd/635447-pics-taken-razr-hd-maxx-hd.html

Last edited:

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Yep. Objectively the cameras on Moto phones have performed less well than the cameras on other manufacturers phones. The key is which is more important to you. Overall I find the device to be excellent for my needs. Yes I wish the camera was better, but I make do with a simple point and click.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Example of a more general, general public opinion.

This is for those that value the camera more than anything....or put camera use at the top of their list.

Figure out which one you are....and go from there. I wouldnt say terrible or suck either, but there are better cameras in other phones. Could be software.

Some forums that users posted pics in: will let yall be the judge...

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-razr-hd-maxx-hd/635447-pics-taken-razr-hd-maxx-hd.html

Thanks for direction to those photos, jroc, and to all who've chimed in. I hope I haven't stirred up a contentious subject. I truly am drawn to this phone, but am also equally so to the DNA. Every time I think I've ruled one out I my attention gets diverted back. The battery life and all that wonderful storage just keeps pulling me.

Every single phone I have owned since my Treo 700w has been an HTC. Loved the camera on each one. I don't NEED a camera all the time - I'm more social app-oriented on my phones than I am a photographer (have an SLR for that), BUT - when I need my phone camera, I need my phone camera. I need it to be there for me when I need it, period. Critical? No, but I don't want the pic to suck when I need it, either.

Hey, you guys are all real worlders - what are you longest battery runs? (this oughta be fun ;-) ) Anything else that you love about this phone that sets it apart?

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for direction to those photos, jroc, and to all who've chimed in. I hope I haven't stirred up a contentious subject. I truly am drawn to this phone, but am also equally so to the DNA. Every time I think I've ruled one out I my attention gets diverted back. The battery life and all that wonderful storage just keeps pulling me.

Every single phone I have owned since my Treo 700w has been an HTC. Loved the camera on each one. I don't NEED a camera all the time - I'm more social app-oriented on my phones than I am a photographer (have an SLR for that), BUT - when I need my phone camera, I need my phone camera. I need it to be there for me when I need it, period. Critical? No, but I don't want the pic to suck when I need it, either.

Hey, you guys are all real worlders - what are you longest battery runs? (this oughta be fun ;-) ) Anything else that you love about this phone that sets it apart?

Just ordered the Razr MAXX HD this morning, coming from the OG Droid Incredible. Got tired of waiting for the next great HTC phone. The DNA had promise but 11g of usable storage was a deal breaker for me. Plus the RMHD is about the right size, the DNA will be significantly bigger. Personally I don't want a giant phone. 4.7" screen is about the sweet spot. The Samsung S3 just felt cheap and plasticky, and from what I've read the radios are weak. I hardly use the camera so it's not an issue for me. Aside from the camera, the RMHD as far as I can see is the best phone on the market right now.

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
After some testing, what I'd is that it takes pretty good daytime outdoor photos, as long as you use HDR for settings where there are shadows - however, that also means you can't have a lot of motion. For night shots in the city (I took photos around Times Square), you need HDR mode for the camera to pick out the individual colors of lights in the distance, otherwise it will turn distant lights into one big mass of light. Urban night shots actually look decent with HDR, but the same caveat about motion. So if you need to combine motion with darkness or just normal daytime shadows, the camera is weak, but it works well with either full light or not much motion.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site

Maybe you should create a camera with a smartphone on it, then you could be happy :)

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site

Pretty average for me.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353428169464.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353428169464.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 47
  • uploadfromtaptalk1353428198081.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353428198081.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Ah, awesome, thanks rbess! Damn look at that - 18 hours and still only 60% through the battery. Incredible. Hey .. on the benchmark screen, looking at the notif bar ... this phone shows that it has a 4G signal even when Wifi is turned on?

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
The pics show pretty average results for me. To answer the second part, the build. It's very solid and doesn't feel like a toy. Next best thing is RF quality. (Radio frequency) I had a Samsung before and continuously had call and data issues but what bugged me more was intermittent Bluetooth connection issue with my cars Sync. Songs would skip, connections lost and so on. To be fair it was not a GSIII and I've heard no complaints about that with them. All I know is the Razr connection is flawless and even added voice messaging that verbally states the message if you want. I just trust Moto more now and a camera on a phone is never going to be my main reason for spending money for my communications device. That's just me.

Last edited:

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Ah, awesome, thanks rbess! Damn look at that - 18 hours and still only 60% through the battery. Incredible. Hey .. on the benchmark screen, looking at the notif bar ... this phone shows that it has a 4G signal even when Wifi is turned on?

The 4G symbol stays present but when it's white its not active. Wifi was active during the screen capture. Also when I snapped the battery shot it was showing 3g but I can promise you I keep it on 4G and the only time it goes 3 is inside some buildings. Just wanted to point that out.

scott15851

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Came from a thunderbolt last Friday, phone is absolutely perfect. Camera is fine.
Oh and it works as promised

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
The camera isn't the greatest but its not bad either... in fact it seems to be the best Motorola camera to date. But yes HTC and Samsung cameras are better

Sent from my Motorola Droid RAZR Max HD using the Android Central Forums app.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'll take the bait...
3 days 16 hours with 3% battery left
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums