Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Considering the Maxx HD, but the camera ....

Hi Folks,

Such a huge attraction to the Maxx HD for me as I contemplate my Thunderbolt upgrade, and the camera stories are about the only negative I hear. I wonder - is it known to be a hardware issue at this point or software? If this is something that might be fixed with an update then it almost isn't a flaw, just a temporary drawback ....

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Considering the Maxx HD, but the camera ....

how could it be "temporary" when every Moto phone has a crappy camera?? they all SUCK.
    Samsung Note 2

In general, the Motorola cameras aren't as nice as what Samsung, HTC, LG, or Sony put on their phones. By no means are they terrible though. I never had any issues with the camera on my DROID RAZR. However, if you're really picky about picture quality, you might want to look elsewhere.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA
    Thanked by:
    jroc 
    jroc likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by paul-c View Post
    In general, the Motorola cameras aren't as nice as what Samsung, HTC, LG, or Sony put on their phones. By no means are they terrible though. I never had any issues with the camera on my DROID RAZR. However, if you're really picky about picture quality, you might want to look elsewhere.

Thanks Paul. I'm kinda actually looking for something to help me ignore it, cuz it's among the only negatives to this phone (that I'm hearing about) . Jelly Bean coming wipes out the update fear, and the phone seems a powerhouse in every other way. Arg.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

What good is a marginally better camera if you don't have a battery that will handle a day at the park taking photos and videos of your kids. There are no outlets in the park,at the ball game or on the lake. The peace of mind of knowing you can shoot all the shots you want without compromising your ability to use it as a phone too in my opinion trumps a marginally better camera. The camera on this phone does not 'suck'. Go to a store and try out both before you buy. You'll get the Maxx HD.

Sent using the Amazing RAZR MaxxHD
    "When you turn your Android on, does it return the favor?"
    bgl321 and revtech like this.

matter of opinion. I would ALREADY own a Maxx HD if the camera didn't suck so badly. I went to verizon to check it out recently and the camera was so bad that I quickly abandoned the idea of getting the phone, despite it otherwise being pretty nice. to each his own. If you guys think you can get passable images from that phone, in other-than-bright sunlight, than I say "go for it". if you want a phone that can shoot in less than bright outdoor lighting, this phone will SORELY disappoint.
    Samsung Note 2

I went from TB to the DRM HD and my biggest concern was also the camera. I don't use the native app and instead use Camera360. It seems to take a bit better pictures than the native app. If you set the native app to HDR the pictures come out much better.

Depends though on what you are going to do with the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by paul-c View Post

Example of a more general, general public opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
    how could it be "temporary" when every Moto phone has a crappy camera?? they all SUCK.
    matter of opinion. I would ALREADY own a Maxx HD if the camera didn't suck so badly. I went to verizon to check it out recently and the camera was so bad that I quickly abandoned the idea of getting the phone, despite it otherwise being pretty nice. to each his own. If you guys think you can get passable images from that phone, in other-than-bright sunlight, than I say "go for it". if you want a phone that can shoot in less than bright outdoor lighting, this phone will SORELY disappoint.
    This is for those that value the camera more than anything....or put camera use at the top of their list.

Figure out which one you are....and go from there. I wouldnt say terrible or suck either, but there are better cameras in other phones. Could be software.

Some forums that users posted pics in: will let yall be the judge...

Last edited by jroc; 11-19-2012 at 09:15 PM.
    HES likes this.
    HES

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts

Yep. Objectively the cameras on Moto phones have performed less well than the cameras on other manufacturers phones. The key is which is more important to you. Overall I find the device to be excellent for my needs. Yes I wish the camera was better, but I make do with a simple point and click.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    Example of a more general, general public opinion.

This is for those that value the camera more than anything....or put camera use at the top of their list.

Figure out which one you are....and go from there. I wouldnt say terrible or suck either, but there are better cameras in other phones. Could be software.

Some forums that users posted pics in: will let yall be the judge...

Thanks for direction to those photos, jroc, and to all who've chimed in. I hope I haven't stirred up a contentious subject. I truly am drawn to this phone, but am also equally so to the DNA. Every time I think I've ruled one out I my attention gets diverted back. The battery life and all that wonderful storage just keeps pulling me.

Every single phone I have owned since my Treo 700w has been an HTC. Loved the camera on each one. I don't NEED a camera all the time - I'm more social app-oriented on my phones than I am a photographer (have an SLR for that), BUT - when I need my phone camera, I need my phone camera. I need it to be there for me when I need it, period. Critical? No, but I don't want the pic to suck when I need it, either.

Hey, you guys are all real worlders - what are you longest battery runs? (this oughta be fun ;-) ) Anything else that you love about this phone that sets it apart?

Quote Originally Posted by hannsoft View Post
    Thanks for direction to those photos, jroc, and to all who've chimed in. I hope I haven't stirred up a contentious subject. I truly am drawn to this phone, but am also equally so to the DNA. Every time I think I've ruled one out I my attention gets diverted back. The battery life and all that wonderful storage just keeps pulling me.

Every single phone I have owned since my Treo 700w has been an HTC. Loved the camera on each one. I don't NEED a camera all the time - I'm more social app-oriented on my phones than I am a photographer (have an SLR for that), BUT - when I need my phone camera, I need my phone camera. I need it to be there for me when I need it, period. Critical? No, but I don't want the pic to suck when I need it, either.

Hey, you guys are all real worlders - what are you longest battery runs? (this oughta be fun ;-) ) Anything else that you love about this phone that sets it apart?
    Just ordered the Razr MAXX HD this morning, coming from the OG Droid Incredible. Got tired of waiting for the next great HTC phone. The DNA had promise but 11g of usable storage was a deal breaker for me. Plus the RMHD is about the right size, the DNA will be significantly bigger. Personally I don't want a giant phone. 4.7" screen is about the sweet spot. The Samsung S3 just felt cheap and plasticky, and from what I've read the radios are weak. I hardly use the camera so it's not an issue for me. Aside from the camera, the RMHD as far as I can see is the best phone on the market right now.

After some testing, what I'd is that it takes pretty good daytime outdoor photos, as long as you use HDR for settings where there are shadows - however, that also means you can't have a lot of motion. For night shots in the city (I took photos around Times Square), you need HDR mode for the camera to pick out the individual colors of lights in the distance, otherwise it will turn distant lights into one big mass of light. Urban night shots actually look decent with HDR, but the same caveat about motion. So if you need to combine motion with darkness or just normal daytime shadows, the camera is weak, but it works well with either full light or not much motion.
    Thanked by:

Maybe you should create a camera with a smartphone on it, then you could be happy :-)

revtech likes this.

Pretty average for me.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Considering the Maxx HD, but the camera ....-uploadfromtaptalk1353428169464.jpg   Considering the Maxx HD, but the camera ....-uploadfromtaptalk1353428198081.jpg  
    Last edited by rbess1965; 11-20-2012 at 12:54 PM.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Ah, awesome, thanks rbess! Damn look at that - 18 hours and still only 60% through the battery. Incredible. Hey .. on the benchmark screen, looking at the notif bar ... this phone shows that it has a 4G signal even when Wifi is turned on?

The pics show pretty average results for me. To answer the second part, the build. It's very solid and doesn't feel like a toy. Next best thing is RF quality. (Radio frequency) I had a Samsung before and continuously had call and data issues but what bugged me more was intermittent Bluetooth connection issue with my cars Sync. Songs would skip, connections lost and so on. To be fair it was not a GSIII and I've heard no complaints about that with them. All I know is the Razr connection is flawless and even added voice messaging that verbally states the message if you want. I just trust Moto more now and a camera on a phone is never going to be my main reason for spending money for my communications device. That's just me.

Last edited by rbess1965; 11-20-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Ah, awesome, thanks rbess! Damn look at that - 18 hours and still only 60% through the battery. Incredible. Hey .. on the benchmark screen, looking at the notif bar ... this phone shows that it has a 4G signal even when Wifi is turned on?
    The 4G symbol stays present but when it's white its not active. Wifi was active during the screen capture. Also when I snapped the battery shot it was showing 3g but I can promise you I keep it on 4G and the only time it goes 3 is inside some buildings. Just wanted to point that out.

Came from a thunderbolt last Friday, phone is absolutely perfect. Camera is fine.
    Oh and it works as promised

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums
    bgl321 likes this.
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

The camera isn't the greatest but its not bad either... in fact it seems to be the best Motorola camera to date. But yes HTC and Samsung cameras are better

Sent from my Motorola Droid RAZR Max HD using the Android Central Forums app.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison

I'll take the bait...
    3 days 16 hours with 3% battery left

I'll take the bait.....plus I'm curious if anyone else gets this much life out of the battery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Considering the Maxx HD, but the camera ....-uploadfromtaptalk1353559461510.jpg  

Wow I have no idea what you are all talking about with the camera on this phone. I just bought it a week ago and the FRONT camera takes better pics than the MAIN camera on my Galaxy Nexus did. The main camera on this phone takes really incredible high detail pics.

The REAL advantage of this phone is I don't have to carry a charger around with me anymore to try and always leave it plugged in everywhere I go like I had to with the Nexus. The battery life is near what blackberrys used to do.

I received my Razr Maxx HD a week ago, and three days later my wife received her Razr M. We are both very happy with our phones.

I had the original Galaxy S, then Droid Incredible 2 (for less than 2 weeks, hated it), the a Droid X2 for the last 18 months or so.

My wife had a Galaxy S for a week or so, didn't like it, switched to another smartphone, then within the 30 day period dropped down to a LG Cosmos feature phone. She is now very happy with the Razr M, her 81 year old Grandmother even liked it, but realized she would never figure it out, she has enough trouble with Vmsgs on her feature phone! :-)

We are both very happy with the camera, haven't taken a lot of pictures yet. My HD Maxx battery life is incredible, hers is really good on the Razr M as well.

Sound quality and reception Wi-Fi, LTE, and Cellular are all good. I saw a site giving the HD screen a bad review in comparison to other current top of the line phones, but it looks great to me.

I was holding out for a Quad core phone, but I checked out the HTC Droid DNA in person the Wednesday before Thanksgiving when they were released, I decided I would have to pass on Quad cores for now. There isn't one perfect phone out there right now. The Quad core CPU and 2 Gb or RAM would be nice additions to the Razr Maxx HD, then I'd be happy!
    Thanked by:
    jroc 

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Woodson View Post
    There isn't one perfect phone out there right now.
    Amen haha. you hit the nail on the head. Im starting to think they do this on purpose....
    ozarkham likes this.

Global Posts
    2,077 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

And you derived all of this from shooting in the store?
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - William F. Buckley, Jr.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast