Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By cheeta186
  • 1 Post By Snareman
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Ringtone and notification volumes

Is there any way to make the notification and ringtone volumes the same? When I open the volume options there is no check box to make them go off the same volume. Any help would be appreciated!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums
    College student that spends far too much money on phones.

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Default Re: Ringtone and notification volumes

Android has sucked with volume management forever. I use In fact, I purchased the Pro version so I can save presets.

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

Settings > Sound > Volumes

Mine has volume options for both the ringtone and notifications.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    1,040 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by blg923 View Post
    Settings > Sound > Volumes

Mine has volume options for both the ringtone and notifications.

Right, but from any normal screen if you move the volume rocker down to turn down the volume of the ringer it doesn't affect the notification volume. So you can think you're turning the phone to quiet and then suddenly you get a glaringly loud email notification. The volume rocker should control all volumes.

Global Posts
    1,040 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post
    Android has sucked with volume management forever. I use In fact, I purchased the Pro version so I can save presets.
    Does it still work well? A lot of the reviews seem to say it works poorly either since the last update or since ICS/JB.

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

My mistake. So if I turn the volume setting to vibrate with the rocker, I'll still hear email notifications?

Global Posts
    451 Global Posts

My mistake. So if I turn the volume setting to vibrate with the rocker, I'll still hear email notifications?

When ringer is set to mute or vibrate the notifications will not sound. If you turn music or any other media on it will sound as will the alarm. Does that answer it for you?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    1,040 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Well geez... the free version is completely useless. Only options are full blaring and mute and can't edit or add profiles. Nor can you create a short cut. I think I'm so pissed at the uselessness of the free version to try ANY of the features that it makes me not want to pay for the real version just out of spite.

Ok, maybe this is one of those things where I should have sat for 10 minutes before composing this.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

^It's well worth the .99 they are charging for it. I use it every day. Presets are great, avoids those 'oh crap, even though the ringer is off some other volume level is up and my phone is causing a ruckus, now I look like an ***** that doesn't know how to mute his phone because Android handles volume levels poorly' moments.

As you can tell, its happened to me before.

Global Posts
    1,040 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

^It's well worth the .99 they are charging for it. I use it every day. Presets are great, avoids those 'oh crap, even though the ringer is off some other volume level is up and my phone is causing a ruckus, now I look like an ***** that doesn't know how to mute his phone because Android handles volume levels poorly' moments.

Side note...

Are you involved with the 787 btw?
    HES

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts

tying the notification and ringer volume together was actually that was one of the biggest gripes that came as a result of ICS. What about folks who wanted their phone to ring any time but shut off their notifications off at night. Restoring the two as separate entities, but having access to them on the same screen was the most brilliant thing that they did. So when you are at Settings > Sound > Volumes, and you slide one bar, slide the next. Elsewise you can use the physical volume rocker to put your phone into vibrate or silent mode and everything will be quiet.

- - - Updated - - -

No you wont.

Global Posts
    1,040 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Ok, so I splurged on the $0.99 and there is no place to adjust the notification settings. The updated version of smart actions says its also supposed to include them now, but no go there either.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by HES View Post
    tying the notification and ringer volume together was actually that was one of the biggest gripes that came as a result of ICS. What about folks who wanted their phone to ring any time but shut off their notifications off at night. Restoring the two as separate entities, but having access to them on the same screen was the most brilliant thing that they did. So when you are at Settings > Sound > Volumes, and you slide one bar, slide the next. Elsewise you can use the physical volume rocker to put your phone into vibrate or silent mode and everything will be quiet.
    I understand why they separated them for reason like you stated, but I know I have had a least one phone that when you went into the menu there was a check box to use the ringer volume for notifications, and I see no reason why that should not at least be an option. For people who need/want them separately then they don't need to check the box, but for those of us that want them to be based off the same volume level, just give us a check box to make them similar.
    Snareman and ClintRo like this.

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Snareman View Post
    Side note...

Are you involved with the 787 btw?
    No! And I had this username for at least 10 years. Boeing owes me!

Global Posts
    1,040 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by cheeta186 View Post
    I understand why they separated them for reason like you stated, but I know I have had a least one phone that when you went into the menu there was a check box to use the ringer volume for notifications, and I see no reason why that should not at least be an option. For people who need/want them separately then they don't need to check the box, but for those of us that want them to be based off the same volume level, just give us a check box to make them similar.
    Exactly
    ClintRo likes this.

GO Switch widget is what I use. I think it only works with GO Launcher (a UI), but it's a better UI than the stock UI anyway.

two things that handle all my volume needs: True Silence by Panic Productions (widget that mutes literally every volume level with one click & restores all with one click). Slider Widgets - Volumes. The 2 widgets are 2nd to top and 3rd to top far right on my homescreen:
    Ringtone and notification volumes-uploadfromtaptalk1356142600539.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I use the AudioManager app as well, but I keep getting worried that the presets you can make will interfere with the SmartActions profiles I have set up. For example, I have my class schedules in SmartActions so it will go silent at a certain time. I don't want the presets in AudioManager to override that profile, or the other way around where the profile will prevent the preset to take effect after class ends. Has anyone had any experience using these apps and their features together?
    Motorola Moto X on Verizon
    -Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx HD (Ret)
    -Motorola Droid 4 (Ret)
    -HTC Droid Incredible 2 (Ret)
    -Motorola Droid (Ret)

I use "volume control" by ROYS. its free and when you change the rocker volume it changes the ringer and notification volumes. You would probably have to uninstall the app to get the individual volume controls back tho, theres no check box in it to unlink them.

volume synch doesn't work. it syncs media volume to ringer volume and mostly to silence the media volume when ringer volume is silenced.

volume control by roys advertises that it links notification and ringer volume but it doesn't. unless i'm missing something, it doesn't work.

Just downloaded Audio Manger for free. It works great so far.

Volume Butler is the best app for separate ringer and notification volumes, and it's free. The app is simply one of the best apps I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul M1 View Post
    Just downloaded Audio Manger for free. It works great so far.
    On my Nexus 4 JB, the latest free Audio Manager installed 6/27/2013 resolves the problem by not providing any setting at all for Notifications. I.e., it doesn't resolve the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancake345 View Post
    Volume Butler is the best app for separate ringer and notification volumes, and it's free. The app is simply one of the best apps I've ever seen.
    Installed this today, 6/27/2013 on my Nexus 4 JB. Two observations:

1. From everything I could tell, it uses a silent ring tone, not volume adjustment, to silence the ringer. As such, it's either ringer=notification, or ringer=0 with notification>0. Not the same thing as ringer=x and notification=y.

2. While the slider bars within Volume Butler would have me believe I'm actually adjusting sound levels like I used to do on my old Nexus 1, in fact any other volume display tool will show that ringer=notification. Conclusion: VB is just showing things on the screen, but it isn't really changing the 2 controls separately.

While the silent ringtone may be good for some, others have multiple ringtones for a class of callers and we like to keep the ring volume low (not off) while the notification volume can be a little louder.

Looks like the bottom line is this: Android 2.4 on Nexus 1 was far superior to Android 4.2 on Nexus 4, at least as far as this issue is concerned. Another case of Google Group Design following the HGIGAIWC methodology (Hey guys, I got an idea! Way cool!)

Hate to bring up an old thread but this is, in all means, total BS. How can an operating system that has SO MANY OPTIONS not have this as an option. If an indie-developer can make an app that syncs the volume, I wonder how long it'd take a GOOGLE ENGINEER. (Guesstimating 5-10 minutes tops)