Considering Razr Maxx HD

BlackAudiA5

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Really close to pulling the trigger on the Maxx HD, but a little concerned about the non-removable battery.

On my current original Droid X... it has conveniently locked up on me at very inconvenient times. The only way to fix my X is to remove the battery.

Has anyone experienced this problem with the new Motorola phones with non-removable batteries?

Thanks,
BlackAudiA5

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Fear not about the battery. I came from a Galaxy Nexus and had a few extra batteries. I swore I'd never buy a phone without a removable battery because sometimes, like on vacation, you just aren't near a charger and need the security of the extra battery. The battery on this phone is just amazing though. Although my brain won't let me, I know I could easily go 2 days without charging it. I'd do a 10h shift at the hospital and there were times where my GNex was down in the 30% range towards the end of the shift. I always kept my charging cable handy. With this phone I can go through 10h and am usually in the 85-90% range. So, I guess now my rule is that I will never buy a phone with a non-removable battery unless it has one the size of the 3300mAH one in this phone.

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
Yea, I don't worry about battery anymore. Here are two screen shots, one 3g and one with 4g.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353871170919.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353871170919.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 227
  • uploadfromtaptalk1353871178990.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353871178990.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 58

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Really close to pulling the trigger on the Maxx HD, but a little concerned about the non-removable battery.

On my current original Droid X... it has conveniently locked up on me at very inconvenient times. The only way to fix my X is to remove the battery.

Has anyone experienced this problem with the new Motorola phones with non-removable batteries?

Thanks,
BlackAudiA5

I haven't had the phone freeze so I can't comment on what happens, but I've heard anecdotally that long-pressing the power button is enough to force newer phones to power off when they freeze. Also, Android 4.x seems stable - maybe it just won't freeze.

Since most of the top phones have non-removable batteries now, I assume it's something the manufacturers have taken into account. Razr HD, Nexus 4, Optimus G, Droid DNA, One X - all non-removeable.

BlackAudiA5

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had any luck turning off my Droid X by LONG pressing the power button... I've always had to pull the battery when it freezes. Hopefully they have fixed the issue.
Well, I took advantage of Cyber-Monday and bought the Razr Maxx HD today from Amazon Wireless today for $175.00. Very excited.

durango992007

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
If the HD versions are line the regular RAZR's, holding down the power button, and the volume down button simulates a battery pull. Even when your phone us dead frozen, it will reset it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I usually charge 2x per week. I've even gotten 3 days before. The smart actions app really helps a lot.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353955928149.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353955928149.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 30

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
No problem. I will list the two main ones I use.
1 Triggers-
Charging status-not charging
Display status-off
Actions-
brightness-smart brightness
background data- only when im using that app
gps-off
mobile data-disable
wifi-off
bluetooth-off
display sleep-1 minute

This first one stops apps from syncing in the background and sucking battery unless they are being used. Now if you are a heavy facebook/twitter user this may not work for you. Both of these settings still allow calls and text messages to come through no problem. I will now list the second one i use and thats nighttime.
2. Trigger-
timeframe-2200 hrs to 0700 hrs
Actions-
background data- only when using that app
mobile data- off
brightness-smart brightness
bluetooth-off
wifi-off
gps-off
volumes-vibrate
display sleep-1 minute

These may seem extreme but the way I figure it I dont want battery to be used up unless im using a specific app. Everything reconnects and syncs up when I turn the screen back on. I treat it as a mobile computer and i dont let apps run in the background. Alot of the time im connected to wifi but even if I was running 4g only I still think I could go 2 full days with these 2 rules set up in smart actions. I hope this helps. With the supposed battery being able to be charged 1000 time without degrading I figure it will last 3-4 years. I too was very concerned about not being able to remove the battery but not after seeing the battery life.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Here's one I got last week. Keep in mind this was mostly wifi.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353962829416.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353962829416.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 23

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
I have three Smart Actions that I use and I have been using 4g on my phone. I can go from 6:00am to 1030pm with at least 60% plus battery every day (usually it's more than 60%):

1. Trigger - Display Status (Off)
Actions - Mobile data (Off)

2. Trigger - Location (My house)
Actions - WIFI (On) <-- to counter this one I downloaded an app called WIFI Powersaver to turn WIFI back off after one minute of not being connected like for when I leave home.

3. Trigger - Timeframe (2230-0500)
Actions - Mobile Data (off)
Airplane Mode (on)
Display sleep (15 seconds)
Brightness (Smart brightness)
WIFI (Off)
GPS (Off)

Last edited:

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had any luck turning off my Droid X by LONG pressing the power button... I've always had to pull the battery when it freezes. Hopefully they have fixed the issue.
Well, I took advantage of Cyber-Monday and bought the Razr Maxx HD today from Amazon Wireless today for $175.00. Very excited.

As others have said, to simulate battery pull you hold power and volume down. What they didn't say is that after about one second this key combination does a screen capture. You have to keep the buttons pressed past that point (which is signalled with a shutter click) for another couple of seconds. At that point, the phone does a hard reset.

CSI Guy

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I just ordered my Maxx HD and it should arrive tomorrow. No concerns about battery at all. Had the regular Maxx and it was great.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
If the HD versions are line the regular RAZR's, holding down the power button, and the volume down button simulates a battery pull. Even when your phone us dead frozen, it will reset it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

This is exactly correct!

Lord Vadger

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have three Smart Actions that I use and I have been using 4g on my phone. I can go from 6:00am to 1030pm with at least 60% plus battery every day (usually it's more than 60%):

2. Trigger - Location (My house)
Actions - WIFI (On) <-- to counter this one I downloaded an app called WIFI Powersaver to turn WIFI back off after one minute of not being connected like for when I leave home.

Do you have to leave GPS on all the time then so Smart Actions knows when you're back at your house to turn the WiFi back on?

ralph greene

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had the phone freeze so I can't comment on what happens, but I've heard anecdotally that long-pressing the power button is enough to force newer phones to power off when they freeze. Also, Android 4.x seems stable - maybe it just won't freeze.

Since most of the top phones have non-removable batteries now, I assume it's something the manufacturers have taken into account. Razr HD, Nexus 4, Optimus G, Droid DNA, One X - all non-removeable.

- - - Updated - - -

has anybody heard anything about the jelly bean update on the razor HD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781