Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Transfering old photos (SD card) to MAXX internal memory... can it be done?

Coming from a Droid X. I have some photos on my old SD card that I would like to put on my new MAXX.

I transfered the photos from my X to my laptop.

Hooked up my USB from the laptop to my MAXX. I was expecting to see a folder breakdown for the MAXX under Internal Memory. I was planning to put the photos under Camera or Gallery or whatever the folder name would be. I see nothing but just Internal Memory.

What is the best procedure for transfering old photos to the MAXX? I don't want to just dump them into Internal Memory.
    Thanks,
    BlackAudiA5

Default Re: Transfering old photos (SD card) to MAXX internal memory... can it be done?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAudiA5 View Post
    Coming from a Droid X. I have some photos on my old SD card that I would like to put on my new MAXX.

I transfered the photos from my X to my laptop.

Hooked up my USB from the laptop to my MAXX. I was expecting to see a folder breakdown for the MAXX under Internal Memory. I was planning to put the photos under Camera or Gallery or whatever the folder name would be. I see nothing but just Internal Memory.

What is the best procedure for transfering old photos to the MAXX? I don't want to just dump them into Internal Memory.
    The phone has three connection modes. You can select the mode either in Settings, or simply by tapping the USB notification that you get when you connect.

The latest driver changed what folders you see in each mode. The latest one shows a subfolder tree under Internal Memory that leads to Camera via DCIM. If you don't have that behavior, try the other modes. One might kick off the driver upgrade, so the behavior could even change midstream. But in each driver level, one of the three connection modes will let you navigate to DCIM/Camera.

MTP is probably the mode you want. With the latest driver, you see the phone as a device in My Computer. Select it and you see two file systems: Internal Storage and SD Card. You can navigate both and even move files from one to the other. I avoided this all by just using my old SD Card in my new phone. The Gallery has my old photos automatically.

But with the latest driver (update possible forced by selecting MTP mode once), Camera mode on USB-phone connect will show you DCIM, parent of Camera, when you click the DROID RAZR HD device under Portable Devices and then click Internal Storage. (Note: you have to wait a while for the directories to appear under Internal Storage because the driver is filtering out everything but picture folders.)
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Transfering old photos (SD card) to MAXX internal memory... can it be done?

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    The phone has three connection modes. You can select the mode either in Settings, or simply by tapping the USB notification that you get when you connect.

The latest driver changed what folders you see in each mode. The latest one shows a subfolder tree under Internal Memory that leads to Camera via DCIM. If you don't have that behavior, try the other modes. One might kick off the driver upgrade, so the behavior could even change midstream. But in each driver level, one of the three connection modes will let you navigate to DCIM/Camera.

MTP is probably the mode you want. With the latest driver, you see the phone as a device in My Computer. Select it and you see two file systems: Internal Storage and SD Card. You can navigate both and even move files from one to the other. I avoided this all by just using my old SD Card in my new phone. The Gallery has my old photos automatically.

But with the latest driver (update possible forced by selecting MTP mode once), Camera mode on USB-phone connect will show you DCIM, parent of Camera, when you click the DROID RAZR HD device under Portable Devices and then click Internal Storage. (Note: you have to wait a while for the directories to appear under Internal Storage because the driver is filtering out everything but picture folders.)
    In your first paragraph, you mention "Settings". Is this for the phone (somewhere) or on the laptop (somewhere)? Thanks... I just need a little more help locating these settings. I don't see a "mode" setting on the phone.
    Thanks,
    BlackAudiA5

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAudiA5 View Post
    In your first paragraph, you mention "Settings". Is this for the phone (somewhere) or on the laptop (somewhere)? Thanks... I just need a little more help locating these settings. I don't see a "mode" setting on the phone.
    The mode is on the phone. Go to All Settings (from the Quick Settings page). Then tap Storage. Then tap settings (three dots in the upper right corner). Then tap USB computer connection. That gives you the screen with the three selections.

But as I said, when you connect the phone and the computer, you get a USB notification on the phone. Pull down notifications and tap the USB notification and it takes you to the same screen.