4.1.1 build 9.8.1Q_39 download and findings

McIrish

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
The Jelly Bean update is available as a download for those who don't want to wait. It's 4.1.1 build 9.8.1Q_39
JB update official for RAZR HD/MAXX 9.1.41 - DroidRzr.com

My findings:
Pros:
It does seem smoother. that's the one plus I see.

Cons:
The Desk Clock setting has been removed so i now have to go look for another clock app
Speed Dial isn't working for me, but I'm still checking it out
Some notification LED settings don't work anymore (What's App) - still checking into this
Battery drain seems higher - still testing

I was really looking forward to this, but so far I'm a bit disappointed. What is everyone else seeing?

McIrish

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Update to my findings.
There is now an app called clock that turns on the desk clock function (for bedtime use) They just removed it from the menu in Circles clock
There is no speed dial. That's gone for sure. Hard to understand why it would be removed.
After a few more reboots, the LEDs are working a bit better but still not quite normal.
Battery drain may be a bit higher, but fortunately with the maxx, it still last the whole day.
FoxFi absolutely does not work as a wifi hotspot anymore. Confirmed it with FoxFi this morning.

What are you seeing?

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I haven't received the update yet, but the speed dial issue and FoxFi seem consistent with the features on RAZR M once updated to JB. Question, if anyone is rooted, were you able to retain root using the Voodoo OTA program? I got root on this phone using the instructions posted on AC.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
The notifications aren't loud as **** anymore. Low volume is actually low volume.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

I noticed that too. Although now that I look at it I think I was just moving the volume rocker not realizing that it wasn't changing the notification volume. Didn't know that volume and notification volume wasn't the same thing or linked. Very odd setup

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you will retain root with OTA Rootkeeper. Just make sure to do a temp unroot before installing the update, or you will lose root.

galpdawg

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you will retain root with OTA Rootkeeper. Just make sure to do a temp unroot before installing the update, or you will lose root.

I am having issues with this. I temp unrooted with ota rootkeeper my binaries are updated in SU. I downloaded the jb update and attempted to install but got notice saying update failed. Any help would be appreciated. Do you think the google now I have running in ICS is causing issues?

jphillips1963

Banned
Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I am having issues with this. I temp unrooted with ota rootkeeper my binaries are updated in SU. I downloaded the jb update and attempted to install but got notice saying update failed. Any help would be appreciated. Do you think the google now I have running in ICS is causing issues?

Same here I'm getting failed install any help would be appreciated

Sent From my Droid RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk 2

deathbysnoosnoo

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I also noticed that the phone in general is smooth now. When using any application the phone would frequently freeze for 5-10 second. It was really frustrating.

That being said my setup is different now. My phone is synched with exchange and when I first setup the phone I used the factory email client which forced the phone encryption policy.

Well before I installed this update I wiped the phone, did the update then used touchdown for email which enforces the encryption policy on the email client data instead.

So I guess it's possible that the freezing I was seeing previous was caused by the full system encryption.

If anyone else experienced the system wide freezing prior to the update I would be curious to hear about it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
For the OTA Rootkeeper... I went through a bunch of hassle updating the RAZR M to JB. What I did was update SU and Superuser to latest versions (3.1.1 and 3.1.3 respectively) before updating the MAXX to JB. I was able to reestablish root on my MAXX HD and M.

I couldn't answer any of the failed updates questions. A factory reset seems to solve many of these issues, but I know that's a PITA.

deathbysnoosnoo

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Well I did a factory reset on my phone and tried to reinstall the update and it failed again

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Does the md5 check pass? The first time I downloaded it the file was corrupted. The second time was a charm.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jphillips1963

Banned
Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Does the md5 check pass? The first time I downloaded it the file was corrupted. The second time was a charm.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Explain please md5?

I'm rooted so everyone knows but I did the temp unroot as been explained and updated super user as well.

RHS

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Anyone notice that the phone doesn't revert back to the home screen after you hang up from a phone call? It stays on the recent call page.

deathbysnoosnoo

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
MD5 explanation: MD5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In short MD5 creates a unique hash of the file. If even one bit of code is different in the file, due to malicious intent or a messed up download, the MD5 hash will not match.

I don't have the file anymore and the original link now requires an account to get the details but I believe the MD5 ended in 737 or 727. As long as you are on the latest OTA do the following

1. install "Astro file manager"
2. Open it and navigate to /mnt/external1
3. Long press on the file and choose 'Properties'
4. What are the last 3 of the MD5? If it is 737 or 727 (honestly I don't remember which it is) then you should be fine to install. If doesn't end in that like mine did the first time I grabbed it then download it again and check the MD5 again.

Let us know what you find.

EDIT: I just found the MD5. It should be 0aebd88f7e975bdc4323002215cad727

Explain please md5?

I'm rooted so everyone knows but I did the temp unroot as been explained and updated super user as well.

Last edited:

jphillips1963

Banned
Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
MD5 explanation: MD5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In short MD5 creates a unique hash of the file. If even one bit of code is different in the file, due to malicious intent or a messed up download, the MD5 hash will not match.

I don't have the file anymore and the original link now requires an account to get the details but I believe the MD5 ended in 737 or 727. As long as you are on the latest OTA do the following

1. install "Astro file manager"
2. Open it and navigate to /mnt/external1
3. Long press on the file and choose 'Properties'
4. What are the last 3 of the MD5? If it is 737 or 727 (honestly I don't remember which it is) then you should be fine to install. If doesn't end in that like mine did the first time I grabbed it then download it again and check the MD5 again.

Let us know what you find.

EDIT: I just found the MD5. It should be 0aebd88f7e975bdc4323002215cad727

Thank you very much for info. Now the bad news is I don't show a md5 or any MD anything in properties. So now my question is how or where will I be able to obtain this so I can get my update to install?

deathbysnoosnoo

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I've never seen that not being an option in the properties of Astro File Manager. You can try downloading 'MD5 Checker'. That will do the same thing.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
You can no longer turn it on vibrate by holding the volume down button down. When watching a video the volume rocker no longer controls the media volume.

I HATE those changes.

Sent from my Droid RAZR HD MAXX