Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts

Default Re: What are your first Jelly Bean impressions?

It seemed that way for me and for others who got it earlier this week. Today I turned off Google Now and ran my phone in safe mode for a couple of hours. I then rebooted to normal, kept Google Now off, and things are a lot smoother than they have been compared to the prior 36 hours. Still not sure about the battery, because of the update I haven't had a "normal" usage day since ICS. Tomorrow morning will be the test; for the past two days Gmail has frozen in the morning as I'm flipping through emails that came in overnight.

Bottom line: if you're unhappy with lag and stuttering in JB, try turning off Google Now. Still can't get Light Flow to work for Gmail, though, and turning off Google Now will probably not solve any third party app issues. But it does make things feel better, at least for me.

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

I had to get rid of light flow, it was causing lag. I as soon as I un installed, the all lag went away.

Quote Originally Posted by ShuckNet View Post
    I don't seem to have my speed dials anymore? Anyone else having the issue?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums
    Speed dial is no longer available. :thumbdown:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by tygerman View Post
    I had to get rid of light flow, it was causing lag. I as soon as I un installed, the all lag went away.
    Successfully running light flow with no lag.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredJedi View Post
    So, I can use the mobile hotspot on my Maxx HD and it doesn't cost anything extra, just takes up data on my Share Everything plan? I did not know that.
    Correct.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Just noticed moving the cursor arrow along text is more precise and fluid in PORTRAIT mode but gets jerky in landscape. Wow weird. Anyone else?? I just tested this multiple times within the AC forums text box and the JB native text app. And backspacing is slower.

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

24 hours later and no complaints on either device.

I don't know if any of you had a RAZR on ginger bread and experienced what it was like to move to ICS, but every phone that did it took a hit on battery initially. I believe the battery eventually returned to normal but damn what a pain it was. I also found glitches from the move and had to do a factory reset to get it worked out. I wasn't happy about that either because I lost data in a few of my apps. I'm not looking forward to another update because I've been happy with the performance an stability of ICS on this new HD and feel that the update is going to screw with this one now. However I also know that resistance is futile so I will accept the update when it's presented. Just expect some moaning from me till it settles in.

Sent using the Amazing RAZR MaxxHD
    "When you turn your Android on, does it return the favor?"

Quote Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
    Yeah noticed that one also. The black was much better.
    I love Google Now but the white background for my contacts drive me nuts.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    1,149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD View Post
    Are you on a Share Everything plan? If so, there's no longer an extra charge for using your phone as a hotspot, so you can use the built-in hotspot. Sure, it doesn't have all the features and whatnot, but it works.
    Yeah I am still on unlimited data.

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts

So is there anyway to just leave the phone in ics or does one have to eventually do the update?

I agree with you about the battery life. JB seems to me to be a bit more aggressive on the battery....still love my phone, just saying.

Stock Droid RAZR MAXX HD

My experience so far has been mixed. I love some of the new features such as Google Now, but can't stand some other things other people have mentioned such as the white background on the contacts. My biggest complaint is that the OS is choppy, not even close to "buttery" smooth. Swiping between home screens is choppy, swiping between pages in the app drawer is choppy, pulling down the notification bar is choppy. I've rebooted about 4-5 times, wiped the cache, etc. I'm going to wait another day or so and see if things stabilize, but I fear a factory reset is in my future. Although I'm fearful because that never really helped my original RAZR when it was upgraded from GB to ICS and I experienced some of these same issues.
    juststart and Who? like this.

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

Is it me or did a shopping app for a specific company appear as part of the 4.1 upgrade? A Google company? And, of course, it is not uninstallable, but by default 'Alerts' are turned on. Huh? Yes, it did not automatically appear on the desktop. So? It adds to the waste of space and is pushed on users. Is this a direction Google is going?

Otherwise, no significant user experience changes.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts

Just come out and say what's on your mind, no one from Google is reading this, you don't have to be cute about it.
    myRT likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by QuadCam View Post
    Seems like the battery is takings hit with jelly bean. I usually go all day and am left with over 60% battery. By about 3:00 today, I was already down to 50%. I'll keep an eye on this over the next few days.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems like the battery is takings hit with jelly bean. I usually go all day and am left with over 60% battery. By about 3:00 today, I was already down to 50%. I'll keep an eye on this over the next few days.
    I haven't noticed anything all week. Yesterday was the first I noticed a major battery drain. Normally I am at 60% at the end of the day and was sitting at 30% yesterday. When I checked the apps it looked like G+ was the culprit. Did you happen notice a particular app causing the drain?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisOS2 View Post
    Is it me or did a shopping app for a specific company appear as part of the 4.1 upgrade? A Google company? And, of course, it is not uninstallable, but by default 'Alerts' are turned on. Huh? Yes, it did not automatically appear on the desktop. So? It adds to the waste of space and is pushed on users. Is this a direction Google is going?

Otherwise, no significant user experience changes.
    Are you talking about Zappos? I thought they were owned by Amazon.

I am NOT thrilled. My biggest complaint is the update TOTALLY screwed up my contacts - multiple duplicates were created for each original. Called Verizon and was told to delete and re-import. Did that and the import attempt from both google and Verizon failed - reported there was nothing to import, even though I'm looking at my contact list on the google website. Thank you google for issuing more half baked software. This is what I get for breaking my own rule ... never, never, never, never update, it will just screw up the phone.

Everything seems fine to me as far as battery life.

I don't have any issues with JB and it's snappy. Ok my only gripe after a day is really just the new white popup box for the three point Share function. I miss the simple and quick list!

Annoying. What are your first Jelly Bean impressions?-uploadfromtaptalk1354902053875.jpg

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Moose View Post
    Are you talking about Zappos? I thought they were owned by Amazon.
    Sure am. I realize there were two games included in 4.0.xx. Wasn't happy about that either. Don't know really who owns Z. Just wasted space with another app that is not part of the OS.

Quote Originally Posted by pblakk View Post
    I don't have any issues with JB and it's snappy. Ok my only gripe after a day is really just the new white popup box for the three point Share function. I miss the simple and quick list!

Annoying. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1354902053875.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	50053

What's with all the white backgrounds I'm hearing about? Don't the programmers realize we need black backgrounds for better battery life? Uggg. Why do they keep changing things?

Default Re: What are your first Jelly Bean impressions

Quote Originally Posted by rbess1965 View Post
    What's with all the white backgrounds I'm hearing about? Don't the programmers realize we need black backgrounds for better battery life? Uggg. Why do they keep changing things?

Battery is so good I don't care about that, for me it's just the larger space to deal with vs the ICS list which was easier for one handed selection.

Just received the update. Can hardly wait to see what issues I'll have now. I know. Cynical right. Too bad. Every freaking update brings unwanted issues too.

Who? likes this.

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

I find it funny with the comments about stopping the update. If you were to read all the other Android threads, it's about people upset and angry that their phone isn't getting so and so update.

I'm with the people on this thread. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm happy we got jb, but would have been satisfied with ics because the phone was great before. If it had introduced issues such I'm reading about above, I would have been extremely pissed off.

I rooted and disabled OTA updates on my last phone because after numerous updates, the final gingerbread OS was finally working great and I didn't want to get anymore updates, even the broken promises of ics (my last phone was a Thunderbolt).

Leave the frequent updates to the Nexus line of phones and just leave the rest if us with one solid stable version. IMHO of course.

Back on topic, my only complaint is really the white background in contacts. So different from every single other app/page in the OS. No other negatives from me.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast