Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Global Posts
    491 Global Posts

Default Re: What are your first Jelly Bean impressions?

Quote Originally Posted by t0ked1 View Post
    I find it funny with the comments about stopping the update. If you were to read all the other Android threads, it's about people upset and angry that their phone isn't getting so and so update.

I'm with the people on this thread. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm happy we got jb, but would have been satisfied with ics because the phone was great before. If it had introduced issues such I'm reading about above, I would have been extremely pissed off.

I rooted and disabled OTA updates on my last phone because after numerous updates, the final gingerbread OS was finally working great and I didn't want to get anymore updates, even the broken promises of ics (my last phone was a Thunderbolt).

Leave the frequent updates to the Nexus line of phones and just leave the rest if us with one solid stable version. IMHO of course.

Back on topic, my only complaint is really the white background in contacts. So different from every single other app/page in the OS. No other negatives from me.
    If I root and install the FOTAkill.apk, will that stop the update from automatically installing?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts

It's been a few days now with Jelly Bean and my phone appears to be pretty stable now.

Pros: Google Now works flawlessly
    OS might be a bit smoother but there is still an occasional jerkiness when transitioning to Quick settings or 'Manage Pages'
    Battery is as solid as ever. The first 2 days my battery life appeared to take a hit. But the phone definitely stabilized as I'm at 40% on 52 hours of usage since I unplugged Friday morning.

Cons: Mostly aesthetic. I liked the ICS theme of the phone better than the Jelly Bean theme. Notification Bar should be blue. People App should be black or at least have an option for a white or black background. Google Search bar is probably unnecessary now but at least on ICS the transparent bar blended into the Home Pages.

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts

Actually, just as I say things stabilized I found that the Amazon App store still doesn't work consistently. I uninstalled and re-installed the other day and it was working fine. Then, it suddenly stopped working again. Then, without doing anything, the app was working again later in the day. Then today it stopped working again. When I restarted my phone, it was once again working fine.

I'm seeing some lag with home screens but I'm using Apex launcher and it may be an issue. Not happy about Foxfi not being compatible with JB. Wondering if I'm going to need to do a freaking factory reset.

Sent using the Amazing RAZR MaxxHD
    Last edited by rbess1965; 12-11-2012 at 03:14 PM.
    "When you turn your Android on, does it return the favor?"

Quote Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
    Actually, just as I say things stabilized I found that the Amazon App store still doesn't work consistently. I uninstalled and re-installed the other day and it was working fine. Then, it suddenly stopped working again. Then, without doing anything, the app was working again later in the day. Then today it stopped working again. When I restarted my phone, it was once again working fine.

Wow. :banghead:
    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

Anyone else noticing screen lag when you swipe through your picture gallery?

Global Posts
    182 Global Posts

Not I.

Not impressed. Google Voice is not playing nice with my paid SwiftKey 3 keyboard. The mic is not activating every time. Happens on sms, email and this forum. In fact is annoyingly inconsistent. Sometimes I see a message saying can't contact Google at this time which would suggest a data issue. Additionally, I've tried the Google now features and really i just don't need them. The whole update is coming off as a way to promote bloated advertisement crap.

Quote Originally Posted by rbess1965 View Post
    Not impressed. Google Voice is not playing nice with my paid SwiftKey 3 keyboard. The mic is not activating every time. Happens on sms, email and this forum. In fact is annoyingly inconsistent. Sometimes I see a message saying can't contact Google at this time which would suggest a data issue. Additionally, I've tried the Google now features and really i just don't need them. The whole update is coming off as a way to promote bloated advertisement crap.

I like the format of the Google Now weather, and the "minutes to home" driving thing is neat I guess, but I could do without some of the other advertisy cards. I do like the ability to swipe up from the home softkey to access Google though.

Battery is not the same anymore and now my RAM usage is up again. Man I hate these updates. I'm going to have to do a damn factory reset again aren't I?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What are your first Jelly Bean impressions?-uploadfromtaptalk1355465468976.jpg   What are your first Jelly Bean impressions?-uploadfromtaptalk1355465480869.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Iggymart View Post
    Speed dial is no longer available. :thumbdown:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Agreed, BIG thumbsdown on removing speed dial. Created a Safety Hazard

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

After updating to JB on both our devices I don't think it's as smooth as ICS was. They still work fine, but things like the circle widgets take an extra 1/2 second to load sometimes depending on what screen I'm moving from, and various other things. It's not bad, it just doesn't feel as smooth and refined.
    Who? likes this.

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckG73 View Post
    Since FoxFI nor svtp pro works I now need something to provide me with my much needed hotspot
    Yep... got mine today and took the OTA for JB without getting root first...

I have sworn upon the alter of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Performed a factory reset tonight and will be testing this in depth for some time to come and will report on it later.

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts

Amazon emailed a link with an updated appstore installer which fixed the problem for me. I also noticed increased memory use on my phone after the update. I began hovering around 100mb free where before I was hover around double that. I bit the bullet and did a factory reset. With the same apps load as before I'm hovering around 220mb free now. Specifically amazon and Google services uses much less memory now. Go figure. I think a factory update should be on the top of everyone's list of to do's after a major update to the OS like this. I resisted but am much more satisfied now with jb.

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts

Yeah I got the email from Amazon also (3 of them for some reason actually).

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Color me impressed
    What are your first Jelly Bean impressions?-uploadfromtaptalk1355681563584.jpg

What are your first Jelly Bean impressions?-uploadfromtaptalk1355681577186.jpg

I have sworn upon the alter of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    - Thomas Jefferson

This might just be me, but going into the JB update, I had some bugs on my phone. Camera bugs, screen lag bugs etc. I did my very first factory reset. After doing this, all bugs went away, the phone seemed to get faster/smoother, and the battery definitely got better. So that is what I would recommend!
    erjennin likes this.

my first impression is wheres the beef. see no difference

Sent from my AT100 using Android Central Forums

Here's my issue list:

Co-worker and I both have RAZR Maxx HD.

We both had nearly identical performance on Ice Cream Sandwich (i.e. Android 4.0)

We both were upgraded to Jelly Bean (i.e. Android 4.1) the same day via Over The Air updates.

We both have the same applications (i.e. apps) installed that are running in the background on top of the stock bloatware:

FFL = Fantasty Football League
    Facebook

My battery drain has increased significantly compared to his even though our usage patterns have stayed the same from ICS to JB.

In addition I have the following issues:
    1. Occasional lockups. Had literally none with ICS.
    2. Volume upon receiving call. It's at max setting every time I make/receive a call even though I had it set lower before.

I've cleared cache and even done a factory reset. All issues still there. Typically have about 200ish MB of RAM free.

Quote Originally Posted by jigz23 View Post
    After ota to JB, I still seem to have noticeable lag doing from screen to screen (don't even mention going to quick settings). Swiping through screens in the app menu does seem noticeably smoother tho, but the home page thing really is annoying. Maybe i'm just spoiled by seeing how smooth 4.2 is on my nexus 7, but looks like i'm just going to be using Nova for now or maybe will have to just root.
    I had the same problem, and same solution. Nova works awesome for me. I'm kind of glad I had to use it.

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

Interesting issue related to updating many apps. Example is one that began this morning at about 1:00. I stopped the process according to the notification area a few minutes ago, or about 17 hours later. When tapping on that notice (the updating) it takes me to the store, shows the app, it has the open and uninstall buttons, and the install. notification ends. This never happened with ICS. Also, this phone had no issues updating nor has the phone been rooted nor hacked in any way. This has happened with apps that came with the phone and those I have added.

Quote Originally Posted by rbess1965 View Post
    Battery is not the same anymore and now my RAM usage is up again. Man I hate these updates. I'm going to have to do a damn factory reset again aren't I?

Same problem here, but I only have 15MB of FREE RAM. Can't play music, can't play movies, can hardly do anything because I keep getting memory errors.

Here is what is running in memory:
    3 - Audible apps
    Settings
    2 - Acoustic apps
    2 - audio effects
    circles
    4 - Maps apps
    Google Services
    QuickView
    SmartActions
    Backup Assistant + Media
    Sync Service
    2 - Amazon apps
    Android Keyboard

It looks like they took lessons from MS!

Oh, I have gone through 4 Maxx HD phones in 3 weeks because of the infamous 'Blue Screen of death' after they were upgraded to JB.

Global Posts
    182 Global Posts

@RwsRichard...please tell me more about your "Blue Screen of death" experiences. I received a phone call a few days ago, and before I could answer my phone, the screen went blue and froze up. After a while the phone eventually, and thankfully, rebooted. All has been well since.

Quote Originally Posted by kmf View Post
    @RwsRichard...please tell me more about your "Blue Screen of death" experiences. I received a phone call a few days ago, and before I could answer my phone, the screen went blue and froze up. After a while the phone eventually, and thankfully, rebooted. All has been well since.
    I have to change the count to 5 phones. The 4th one did the same thing last night. After about 6 hours of use, it came up with the 'Blue Screen of Death', too.

All the phones did the same thing. At first and before the JB upgrade, they worked perfect. After the upgrade to JB, ALL the phones screens turned blue and they froze. I could not turn them off and I could not get them to respond to the anything.

I even took the SIM card out and the battery out and let them sit for about 10 minutes, then put the SIM card and battery back in. They still turned to the blue screen as soon as they were turned on.

When I took the 2nd one back to Verizon, the service rep said I was going to sit down and he was going to get the 3rd phone working before I left the store. He got a brand new one out of storage and he set the phone up and then let it upgrade to JB. After JB was installed the phone rebooted and he even got the Blue Screen of Death on it. The Tech came out and they messed with it for about 1 hour and could not get it to work, so they brought out a 4th one and started getting it setup for me.

The 4th one worked and I went home, but during the night it also got the Blue Screen and froze. The 5th phone seems to be working ok, at least for now.

There was absolutely no indication of problems when it happened. The upgrade went smooth and there were no problems or glitches. The phones just turned to a blue screen and froze up after JB was installed and during the re-boot process, except for the 4th phone. It actually work for a little while before it went to the blue screen.

Sorry, not much more to tell about it.

I now need help in gaining back some of the RAM, so I can play music and watch movies. The JB upgrade is using over 900Mb of RAM on the 'stuff' it installed.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast