What are your first Jelly Bean impressions?

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Not impressed. Google Voice is not playing nice with my paid SwiftKey 3 keyboard. The mic is not activating every time. Happens on sms, email and this forum. In fact is annoyingly inconsistent. Sometimes I see a message saying can't contact Google at this time which would suggest a data issue. Additionally, I've tried the Google now features and really i just don't need them. The whole update is coming off as a way to promote bloated advertisement crap.

Sent using the Amazing RAZR MaxxHD

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Not impressed. Google Voice is not playing nice with my paid SwiftKey 3 keyboard. The mic is not activating every time. Happens on sms, email and this forum. In fact is annoyingly inconsistent. Sometimes I see a message saying can't contact Google at this time which would suggest a data issue. Additionally, I've tried the Google now features and really i just don't need them. The whole update is coming off as a way to promote bloated advertisement crap.

I like the format of the Google Now weather, and the "minutes to home" driving thing is neat I guess, but I could do without some of the other advertisy cards. I do like the ability to swipe up from the home softkey to access Google though.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Battery is not the same anymore and now my RAM usage is up again. Man I hate these updates. I'm going to have to do a damn factory reset again aren't I?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355465468976.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355465468976.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 56
  • uploadfromtaptalk1355465480869.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355465480869.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 55

Potent68

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
After updating to JB on both our devices I don't think it's as smooth as ICS was. They still work fine, but things like the circle widgets take an extra 1/2 second to load sometimes depending on what screen I'm moving from, and various other things. It's not bad, it just doesn't feel as smooth and refined.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Performed a factory reset tonight and will be testing this in depth for some time to come and will report on it later.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Amazon emailed a link with an updated appstore installer which fixed the problem for me. I also noticed increased memory use on my phone after the update. I began hovering around 100mb free where before I was hover around double that. I bit the bullet and did a factory reset. With the same apps load as before I'm hovering around 220mb free now. Specifically amazon and Google services uses much less memory now. Go figure. I think a factory update should be on the top of everyone's list of to do's after a major update to the OS like this. I resisted but am much more satisfied now with jb.

zackh123

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
This might just be me, but going into the JB update, I had some bugs on my phone. Camera bugs, screen lag bugs etc. I did my very first factory reset. After doing this, all bugs went away, the phone seemed to get faster/smoother, and the battery definitely got better. So that is what I would recommend!

chadillac3

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Here's my issue list:

Co-worker and I both have RAZR Maxx HD.

We both had nearly identical performance on Ice Cream Sandwich (i.e. Android 4.0)

We both were upgraded to Jelly Bean (i.e. Android 4.1) the same day via Over The Air updates.

We both have the same applications (i.e. apps) installed that are running in the background on top of the stock bloatware:

FFL = Fantasty Football League
Facebook

My battery drain has increased significantly compared to his even though our usage patterns have stayed the same from ICS to JB.

In addition I have the following issues:
1. Occasional lockups. Had literally none with ICS.
2. Volume upon receiving call. It's at max setting every time I make/receive a call even though I had it set lower before.

I've cleared cache and even done a factory reset. All issues still there. Typically have about 200ish MB of RAM free.

anon(5484072)

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
After ota to JB, I still seem to have noticeable lag doing from screen to screen (don't even mention going to quick settings). Swiping through screens in the app menu does seem noticeably smoother tho, but the home page thing really is annoying. Maybe i'm just spoiled by seeing how smooth 4.2 is on my nexus 7, but looks like i'm just going to be using Nova for now or maybe will have to just root.
I had the same problem, and same solution. Nova works awesome for me. I'm kind of glad I had to use it.

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Interesting issue related to updating many apps. Example is one that began this morning at about 1:00. I stopped the process according to the notification area a few minutes ago, or about 17 hours later. When tapping on that notice (the updating) it takes me to the store, shows the app, it has the open and uninstall buttons, and the install. notification ends. This never happened with ICS. Also, this phone had no issues updating nor has the phone been rooted nor hacked in any way. This has happened with apps that came with the phone and those I have added.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

RwsRichard

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Battery is not the same anymore and now my RAM usage is up again. Man I hate these updates. I'm going to have to do a damn factory reset again aren't I?

Same problem here, but I only have 15MB of FREE RAM. Can't play music, can't play movies, can hardly do anything because I keep getting memory errors.

Here is what is running in memory:
3 - Audible apps
Settings
2 - Acoustic apps
2 - audio effects
circles
4 - Maps apps
Google Services
QuickView
SmartActions
Backup Assistant + Media
Sync Service
2 - Amazon apps
Android Keyboard

It looks like they took lessons from MS!

Oh, I have gone through 4 Maxx HD phones in 3 weeks because of the infamous 'Blue Screen of death' after they were upgraded to JB.

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
@RwsRichard...please tell me more about your "Blue Screen of death" experiences. I received a phone call a few days ago, and before I could answer my phone, the screen went blue and froze up. After a while the phone eventually, and thankfully, rebooted. All has been well since.

RwsRichard

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
@RwsRichard...please tell me more about your "Blue Screen of death" experiences. I received a phone call a few days ago, and before I could answer my phone, the screen went blue and froze up. After a while the phone eventually, and thankfully, rebooted. All has been well since.

I have to change the count to 5 phones. The 4th one did the same thing last night. After about 6 hours of use, it came up with the 'Blue Screen of Death', too.

All the phones did the same thing. At first and before the JB upgrade, they worked perfect. After the upgrade to JB, ALL the phones screens turned blue and they froze. I could not turn them off and I could not get them to respond to the anything.

I even took the SIM card out and the battery out and let them sit for about 10 minutes, then put the SIM card and battery back in. They still turned to the blue screen as soon as they were turned on.

When I took the 2nd one back to Verizon, the service rep said I was going to sit down and he was going to get the 3rd phone working before I left the store. He got a brand new one out of storage and he set the phone up and then let it upgrade to JB. After JB was installed the phone rebooted and he even got the Blue Screen of Death on it. The Tech came out and they messed with it for about 1 hour and could not get it to work, so they brought out a 4th one and started getting it setup for me.

The 4th one worked and I went home, but during the night it also got the Blue Screen and froze. The 5th phone seems to be working ok, at least for now.

There was absolutely no indication of problems when it happened. The upgrade went smooth and there were no problems or glitches. The phones just turned to a blue screen and froze up after JB was installed and during the re-boot process, except for the 4th phone. It actually work for a little while before it went to the blue screen.

Sorry, not much more to tell about it.

I now need help in gaining back some of the RAM, so I can play music and watch movies. The JB upgrade is using over 900Mb of RAM on the 'stuff' it installed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX