Got Jellybean Update: Speed Dial Gone!

spudskier

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
What happened to speed dial!? I used to be able to touch/hold a number on the keypad and it'd dial whomever I had assigned to that number. No more! Not even an option!

islanddude

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
There is NO WAY to contact Google; I hope they find this post:

I?m writing in regards to the recent upgrade to Jellybean on my Motorola Razr MAXX HD. Please keep in mind that it?s a ?MOBILE? device, and my concern wouldn?t matter if it were a landline phone. Safety is an issue and the law as it applies to using a mobile device while driving is an issue.

The Jellybean upgrade has removed the ?Speed Dial? feature on my phone. I realize that you?ve added the ?Direct Dial? widget, but this is not a suitable replacement for Speed Dial and here?s why; I can operate Speed Dial with a simple long press of a number on my phones keypad. With Direct Dial, (and even with Favorites), I have to take my eyes off the road to fumble for my reading glasses, then fumble with the phone to find the person?s Direct Dial widget I?m looking for, (the key phrase being ?looking for?), Then press the widget.

Things can go bad in a split second while driving and that?s why most states have laws against ?Distracted Driving?. You really need to reinstate the Speed Dial feature for safety reasons, and further more, why did you make a decision to remove it in the first place? Hopefully it was an oversight and it doesn?t reflect on the poor judgment of your engineers, and the poor judgment of your decision making executives.

Do the right thing, put it back!

myRT

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I knew I saw this post somewhere.

If you guys go into your apps list and check out the widgets, there's a direct dial widget. Once you drag it onto your home screen you can select any contact to apply to it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-07-13-20-53.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-07-13-20-53.png
    408.4 KB · Views: 87

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
And, you can drag each new direct dial widget on top of the current and stack them. Then when you want to call tap the widget and all the widgets pop up. Tap who you want to call. Pretty slick.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Direct dial or speed dial shouldn't be used while driving. The only thing allowed here is full hands free. Meaning voice dial from a bluetooth device. The police have the right to ticket you for having in your hand, though truth be told I haven't seen them that strict.

Jeff Dyreson

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with the others on this page. The one touch feature is much safer than taking your eyes off the road to find your contact. I drive every day for hours and I am use to where the numbers are on the one touch dialing feature and now its gone. You are creating saftey hazards by taking features like this away. Besides I know the laws and the rules what works for one person may not work the best for the other. And besides what gives you the right to take away features on my phone, that I pay for and make decisions for me!!! Just one more way our freedoms are being stipped right out from underneith us. Maybe they should let us all work from home and we can go back to the old corded landline phone that we grew up with...........stop making decisions for what is right and or wrong for people.........maybe at least ask what we as users want rather than just taking stuff away

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Direct dial or speed dial shouldn't be used while driving. The only thing allowed here is full hands free. Meaning voice dial from a bluetooth device. The police have the right to ticket you for having in your hand, though truth be told I haven't seen them that strict.

I agree with this. Using driving as an example ....I dont think thats gonna go over too well....lol. I just tried Google Now and it works great. The accuracy is amazing. I just had to say what my exact contact name was. Some I will have to change because it sound like something else.

I just tried saying call and said the phone number. That worked too. There was a lil delay, it eventually dialed on its own. Give Google Now a try. As for Speed Dial....might have to look at apps from the Play Store. I used to use Dialer One on my Droid X, it still has speed dial.

Last edited:

Helloneumann

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
There is NO WAY to contact Google; I hope they find this post:

I?m writing in regards to the recent upgrade to Jellybean on my Motorola Razr MAXX HD. Please keep in mind that it?s a ?MOBILE? device, and my concern wouldn?t matter if it were a landline phone. Safety is an issue and the law as it applies to using a mobile device while driving is an issue.

The Jellybean upgrade has removed the ?Speed Dial? feature on my phone. I realize that you?ve added the ?Direct Dial? widget, but this is not a suitable replacement for Speed Dial and here?s why; I can operate Speed Dial with a simple long press of a number on my phones keypad. With Direct Dial, (and even with Favorites), I have to take my eyes off the road to fumble for my reading glasses, then fumble with the phone to find the person?s Direct Dial widget I?m looking for, (the key phrase being ?looking for?), Then press the widget.

Things can go bad in a split second while driving and that?s why most states have laws against ?Distracted Driving?. You really need to reinstate the Speed Dial feature for safety reasons, and further more, why did you make a decision to remove it in the first place? Hopefully it was an oversight and it doesn?t reflect on the poor judgment of your engineers, and the poor judgment of your decision making executives.

Do the right thing, put it back!

Do the right thing and pull over before using your phone.

Webbslinger

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Just bring back speed dial. Did Moto hire fired Audi HVC designers? Do they want to keep customers? Look: they can want us to use something else, but they can't make us want it. Why not just keep it simple?

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
"Direct dial or speed dial shouldn't be used while driving. The only thing allowed here is full hands free. Meaning voice dial from a bluetooth device. The police have the right to ticket you for having in your hand, though truth be told I haven't seen them that strict. "
What state? What if you have it on speaker and just holding the phone?

Personally, won't affect me. I use voice activated bluetooth in my Hummer through my Pioneer, and Onstar activated bluetooth in my Silverado. Don't need to touch anything.

islanddude

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
OK smart guy, since you can?t understand the analogy, I want to use speed dial while I'm lying on my couch. It?s a convenient feature that you can use with your eyes closed and removing it is not a technological step forward, it?s a ten year step backwards. There?s no point in removing it, there?s no gain in removing it, so why not just reinstate it for the many people who choose to like it?

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Why not just slide up from the home button to activate Google Now, say "Google", then say "call (persons name)" and never have to look at the phone?

I never used the speed dial, but I'm assuming one would have to look at the phone to tap the phone icon then look at the dial to press the corresponding number on the dial pad, correct?

dirkbonn

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Voice dial is the answer.

The people who are used to speed dial need to try it. It is easier when you get comfortable with it.

islanddude

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
You offer some wonderful options to using speed dial, thank you for your insight; however, I still don?t see an advantage to totally removing the speed dial option. I guess we?ve beat the dead horse on this one!

colaemmy

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I totally agree with u...I love speed dial and use it all the time. Whether I am home or driving. I don't want to have to open an app or use voice dial to call someone... they shld make it an option and not completely take speed dial away. I wish I wldve never updated my phone cuz I don't like the new system at all....

islanddude

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I got the ?Rocket Dial? app, and I made Verizon credit my account to pay for it. It has speed dial and it also has at least 99 locations. That means you can make #3 your moms land line and #33 her cell. (Press #3 once for home, twice for cell, etc). I added a skin that makes it look exactly like the original dialer on my Moto Razr HD Maxx.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo