Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

Default Got Jellybean Update: Speed Dial Gone!

What happened to speed dial!? I used to be able to touch/hold a number on the keypad and it'd dial whomever I had assigned to that number. No more! Not even an option!

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Default Re: Got Jellybean Update: Speed Dial Gone!

yea speed dial is gone with JB. they want you to use the direct dial widgets

There is NO WAY to contact Google; I hope they find this post:

Im writing in regards to the recent upgrade to Jellybean on my Motorola Razr MAXX HD. Please keep in mind that its a MOBILE device, and my concern wouldnt matter if it were a landline phone. Safety is an issue and the law as it applies to using a mobile device while driving is an issue.

The Jellybean upgrade has removed the Speed Dial feature on my phone. I realize that youve added the Direct Dial widget, but this is not a suitable replacement for Speed Dial and heres why; I can operate Speed Dial with a simple long press of a number on my phones keypad. With Direct Dial, (and even with Favorites), I have to take my eyes off the road to fumble for my reading glasses, then fumble with the phone to find the persons Direct Dial widget Im looking for, (the key phrase being looking for), Then press the widget.

Things can go bad in a split second while driving and thats why most states have laws against Distracted Driving. You really need to reinstate the Speed Dial feature for safety reasons, and further more, why did you make a decision to remove it in the first place? Hopefully it was an oversight and it doesnt reflect on the poor judgment of your engineers, and the poor judgment of your decision making executives.

Do the right thing, put it back!
    Thanked by 2:
    dawghowse and dra1 like this.

I knew I saw this post somewhere.

If you guys go into your apps list and check out the widgets, there's a direct dial widget. Once you drag it onto your home screen you can select any contact to apply to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Got Jellybean Update:  Speed Dial Gone!-screenshot_2012-12-07-13-20-53.png  

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts

And, you can drag each new direct dial widget on top of the current and stack them. Then when you want to call tap the widget and all the widgets pop up. Tap who you want to call. Pretty slick.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    180 Global Posts

Direct dial or speed dial shouldn't be used while driving. The only thing allowed here is full hands free. Meaning voice dial from a bluetooth device. The police have the right to ticket you for having in your hand, though truth be told I haven't seen them that strict.
    Thanked by:
    jroc 

I have to agree with the others on this page. The one touch feature is much safer than taking your eyes off the road to find your contact. I drive every day for hours and I am use to where the numbers are on the one touch dialing feature and now its gone. You are creating saftey hazards by taking features like this away. Besides I know the laws and the rules what works for one person may not work the best for the other. And besides what gives you the right to take away features on my phone, that I pay for and make decisions for me!!! Just one more way our freedoms are being stipped right out from underneith us. Maybe they should let us all work from home and we can go back to the old corded landline phone that we grew up with...........stop making decisions for what is right and or wrong for people.........maybe at least ask what we as users want rather than just taking stuff away
    Thanked by 2:
    dra1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by t0ked1 View Post
    Direct dial or speed dial shouldn't be used while driving. The only thing allowed here is full hands free. Meaning voice dial from a bluetooth device. The police have the right to ticket you for having in your hand, though truth be told I haven't seen them that strict.
    I agree with this. Using driving as an example ....I dont think thats gonna go over too well....lol. I just tried Google Now and it works great. The accuracy is amazing. I just had to say what my exact contact name was. Some I will have to change because it sound like something else.

I just tried saying call and said the phone number. That worked too. There was a lil delay, it eventually dialed on its own. Give Google Now a try. As for Speed Dial....might have to look at apps from the Play Store. I used to use Dialer One on my Droid X, it still has speed dial.
    Last edited by jroc; 12-08-2012 at 06:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by islanddude View Post
    There is NO WAY to contact Google; I hope they find this post:

Im writing in regards to the recent upgrade to Jellybean on my Motorola Razr MAXX HD. Please keep in mind that its a MOBILE device, and my concern wouldnt matter if it were a landline phone. Safety is an issue and the law as it applies to using a mobile device while driving is an issue.

The Jellybean upgrade has removed the Speed Dial feature on my phone. I realize that youve added the Direct Dial widget, but this is not a suitable replacement for Speed Dial and heres why; I can operate Speed Dial with a simple long press of a number on my phones keypad. With Direct Dial, (and even with Favorites), I have to take my eyes off the road to fumble for my reading glasses, then fumble with the phone to find the persons Direct Dial widget Im looking for, (the key phrase being looking for), Then press the widget.

Things can go bad in a split second while driving and thats why most states have laws against Distracted Driving. You really need to reinstate the Speed Dial feature for safety reasons, and further more, why did you make a decision to remove it in the first place? Hopefully it was an oversight and it doesnt reflect on the poor judgment of your engineers, and the poor judgment of your decision making executives.

Do the right thing, put it back!
    Do the right thing and pull over before using your phone.
    Thanked by:
    jroc 

I agree. I don't want to use an app. Put the original speed dial back!
    Last edited by dra1; 12-08-2012 at 08:38 AM.

Just bring back speed dial. Did Moto hire fired Audi HVC designers? Do they want to keep customers? Look: they can want us to use something else, but they can't make us want it. Why not just keep it simple?

"Direct dial or speed dial shouldn't be used while driving. The only thing allowed here is full hands free. Meaning voice dial from a bluetooth device. The police have the right to ticket you for having in your hand, though truth be told I haven't seen them that strict. "
    What state? What if you have it on speaker and just holding the phone?

Personally, won't affect me. I use voice activated bluetooth in my Hummer through my Pioneer, and Onstar activated bluetooth in my Silverado. Don't need to touch anything.
    C3H6N6O6 + (CH2)8(COOC8H17)2 + C4H8 + C5H8 = BOOM
    You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!

One tap on the microphone at the top of the screen, and then you say "call xxx." It works pretty well.

What bull. Quit thinking you bastards know what is best for. Make it an option and mandatory you dumbasses!

OK smart guy, since you cant understand the analogy, I want to use speed dial while I'm lying on my couch. Its a convenient feature that you can use with your eyes closed and removing it is not a technological step forward, its a ten year step backwards. Theres no point in removing it, theres no gain in removing it, so why not just reinstate it for the many people who choose to like it?

Why not just slide up from the home button to activate Google Now, say "Google", then say "call (persons name)" and never have to look at the phone?

I never used the speed dial, but I'm assuming one would have to look at the phone to tap the phone icon then look at the dial to press the corresponding number on the dial pad, correct?

Voice dial is the answer.

The people who are used to speed dial need to try it. It is easier when you get comfortable with it.
    dirkbonn
    The government can't give you anything until it first takes it from someone else.

You offer some wonderful options to using speed dial, thank you for your insight; however, I still dont see an advantage to totally removing the speed dial option. I guess weve beat the dead horse on this one!

I totally agree with u...I love speed dial and use it all the time. Whether I am home or driving. I don't want to have to open an app or use voice dial to call someone... they shld make it an option and not completely take speed dial away. I wish I wldve never updated my phone cuz I don't like the new system at all....

I got the Rocket Dial app, and I made Verizon credit my account to pay for it. It has speed dial and it also has at least 99 locations. That means you can make #3 your moms land line and #33 her cell. (Press #3 once for home, twice for cell, etc). I added a skin that makes it look exactly like the original dialer on my Moto Razr HD Maxx.

Smile Re: Got Jellybean Update: Speed Dial Gone!

Wow! Thanks, islandude. This app is great. I don't mind paying the money. I've been trying forever to change my dialer to a white background. What fun it is to play with this one. Hope you're really on an island. I'm in Michigan right now--I travel a lot--and it's kinda snowing.

Catalina Island off the coast of Southern California

Thank you for posting this screen shot and details!! This is an awesome replacement for speed dial, but I will have to get used to it, ie. remember that I can do this, LOL!

But even with the direct dial widgets I click the widget and still have to press the call button. Is there a way around this? or a way to bring back speed dial? Ive had a Motorola for a few years and I'm seriously looking at other options. Thinking of returning the phone today.

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Dlynn Fernald View Post
    But even with the direct dial widgets I click the widget and still have to press the call button. Is there a way around this? or a way to bring back speed dial? Ive had a Motorola for a few years and I'm seriously looking at other options. Thinking of returning the phone today.
    Not sure what you're doing. My direct-dial widgets dial with a single tap.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast