Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Default Re: Ford Bluetooth music skipping tracks with Jellybean

This is not a Ford Sync issue.

1. Motorola Droid HD & Droid HD MAXX both worked properly with the same car and Ford Sync version PRIOR to the Jellybean update.

2. Other phones running Jellybean work fine in the same car and Ford Sync version.

Therefore, the problem is specific to the Motorola Jellybean update, most likely due to a bug in their proprietary bluetooth stack or Verizon mandated crapware.

Do NOT blame Ford or Sync. To do so is simply irrational and it blurs the issue, allowing Motorola and Verizon to attempt avoiding blame.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

That is irrational.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

@TuringLock - I had ruled out Ford Sync as the root cause until the exact same issue started occurring on my Blackberry Bold 9300 with Slacker. Also, after less than a month, the bluetooth functionality in our 2013 Escape completely went down (couldn't pair phones, "Connecting..." text frozen on screen, couldn't remove entries for previously paired devices, Sync would broadcast itself as some really long string with "Apollo board" in the name instead of "Sync" and eventually stopped being discovered). After a master reset of Sync bluetooth functionality was restored, although the skipping issue with Slacker/Pandora continued. Pointing to the JellyBean update from Verizon makes sense, as the problem manifests itself across multiple apps, and the three of us that have reported the issue on this thread all have Motorola Droid phones on Verizon running that JellyBean update. That said, the fact that I've now seen this problem on a completely different phone/platform leads to other theories. I'm hoping that I hear something back from Slacker support to at least provide a hint as to where the bug is getting triggered. I'd be happy to pile onto Verizon support as well to finally get resolution. My incident that I opened with Slacker support is 121222-000193 if anyone wants to make some noise there. Pandora didn't provide me with a ticket number - I just got an email from a "listener advocate" that recommended reinstalling Pandora. If you've got a ticket number for Verizon, send it my way and I'll refer to it when I call so we won't be considered isolated incidents. Thanks.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

I talked to Verizon and Motorola tech support. Neither had heard of the problem or had any suggestions except to do a factory reset. I really don't want to do that and have to re-install all my apps.

Global Posts
    344 Global Posts

I have the Droid Razr Maxx HD and I have mine paired w/ my 2012 Ford Focus. My phone is running Jelly Bean 4.1.1 and I've had ZERO issues with tracks skipping listening to music through Google Music. I have noticed on occasion a 1-2 second drop in audio, (not drop in bluetooth) but that only seems to happen when I listen to a particular podcast using Doggcatcher. I'm pretty sure that dropout is due to crappy recording on the podcast.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

@Mitalis - Can you try Pandora and/or Slacker? Note that typically we've seen the first session work fine, then reconnecting the phone and running the app a second time introduces the skipping problem. Also, do you know which version of Sync you've got? I'm running Sync VersionGen2 - V3.2.2

Jellybean has a known issue with streaming music over blue tooth and Google says it'll be fixed in the next version of android.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    344 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pomvr View Post
    @Mitalis - Can you try Pandora and/or Slacker? Note that typically we've seen the first session work fine, then reconnecting the phone and running the app a second time introduces the skipping problem. Also, do you know which version of Sync you've got? I'm running Sync VersionGen2 - V3.2.2
    Yeah I'll try out Pandora & Slacker radio on my commute to & from work tomorrow & get to you on this.

If you have MyFord Touch like I do in my 2012 focus then I feel your pain. I too have an issue with track skipping involving spotify, bluetooth, and an iphone in this case. My issue started after an update to MyFord Touch.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

When I checked yesterday, I noticed that version 3.5.1 of Sync is now available for our car. There was a delay in the availability for MyFord Touch w/ Navigation due to the incompatibility with the Nav system that the Sync update to 3.5.1 introduces. We had to order a new SD card for our Navigation system, but that arrived in less than a day, so I'll be running the upgrade tonight. I'll post my findings after the upgrade and a few stop/start cycles with the vehicle and the Pandora/Slacker apps.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

I just ordered my SD card for my Ford update as well. Should be receiving on Monday. I hope it fixes the problem.

To everyone, the latest update to My Ford Touch is a major upgrade to the Sync system and it has fixed my music skipping issues that appeared after the JB update. I had to have mine done at the dealer and it included a new SD Nav card. The Sync system works better relatively speaking. It is still as slow an laggy as ever.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

I installed the upgrade of Ford Sync from 3.2.2 to 3.5.1 this weekend, and although the sync update section of syncmyride.com claimed I needed a new SD card, my upgrade path did not. The SD card I received in the mail was identical to the one I already had. Additionally, the 10-step instructions for installing do not match the experience for those upgrading from 3.2.2. My system displayed that it was installing 3 cab files, completed, and did not reboot. It just popped up a message that the installation was complete, and then went back to the home screen. I used the Sync status checker tool to get a dump of my Sync installations, and noticed that on the USB stick, there is an XML file that gets written with the installation data. That data is then deleted when you run the web-based status check on syncmyride.com. It definitely claims I'm upgraded to 3.5.1. I ran several diagnostic sessions with our Droid RAZR M, and I can't reproduce the track skipping problem anymore. I'm going to continue to run some further tests with Pandora and Slacker to see if I can resurface the problem.

Global Posts
    1,912 Global Posts

I found after the Ford sync update while tracks play fine the tracks playing no longer is displayed. Everything else works fine and haven't found reason the now playing isnt displayed. I have this issue from stock player, power amp app, slacker and Pandora. I have MFT without nav. Update was done my Ford.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bob61 View Post
    I found after the Ford sync update while tracks play fine the tracks playing no longer is displayed. Everything else works fine and haven't found reason the now playing isnt displayed. I have this issue from stock player, power amp app, slacker and Pandora. I have MFT without nav. Update was done my Ford.

Interesting....I presume the songs have MP3 tags and you've pressed the "Text" button on the radio?

After reading these posts about an upgrade to MySync, I also went online and ordered the SD card (for navigation). I ordered it on Friday and it arrived on Monday. I then downloaded the software update to a USB drive and then spent the next 50 minutes letting the system update (to 3.5.1). After software update was completed, inserted new SD card (A4), and the navigation came on as well. So far, everything seems to be running smooth.

Global Posts
    1,912 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PowrDroid View Post
    Interesting....I presume the songs have MP3 tags and you've pressed the "Text" button on the radio?
    Everything was working fine, but sure why not showing now. I will occasionally get a songs info to display, not sure why or how. But it doesn't update after that. Has me scratching my head as all other functions work. I'll look for a text button, but don't recall that as button on the radio.

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #43  

No more skipping since I installed the Ford Sync update! Been working great for a few days now.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  

ARgh the problem is back! Yesterday I could not play any music at all thru bluetooth. Ford sync could see my phone and was connected for phone calls but not for music. I tried everything. Then I did a master reset for sync and that got the music playing but now it skips again! So frustrating. I tried to reflash the update and it says I still have the latest sync update.

One thing I've noticed is that it only skips for music playing thru the internet. So Pandora, Rhapsody, etcc skip, but when I play music that's stored on my phone, it doesn't skip. It will skip when using the stock music player if I play my music that is stored on Google's music cloud.

I have had the same problem for the past week. It's really annoying, I have tried doing a master reset twice and nothing. It's not a problem with the phone because as soon as I disconnect the bluetooth it plays normally.

Does your vehicle support the "Applink" part of MySync which allows playing Pandora (and others) through the system or are you running the Pandora app and playing it through the bluetooth input option?
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #47  

I have the navigation, so it does not support Applink. I'm running he Pandora app on my phone. It happens with rhapsody and the stock music player when playing music from the cloud.

Did anybody get any resolution on this? I came across this searching on my issue as my original Razr Maxx just got updated to Jelly Bean (4.1.2, not 4.2 as the HD).
    I have a 2013 explorer with the latest version of Sync/MFT. Everything worked fine with ICS.

It seems that the change in Jelly bean is that Bluetooth Music streaming now sends the audio timestamps along with the audio data. Both Sync and my Parrot system in my other car now display the current track time while playing music through the Play Music App. The problem is that when playing slacker & Pandora. The current track time left over from the Play Music App starts incrementing. When that incrementing time passes the total track time of the last song played in the Play Music App (even though you are playing slacker), Sync seems to be sending the Skip track signal back to the phone and slacker skips to the next song. Slacker/Pandora never reset this time (Not Sure if they can), so Sync keeps skipping to the next track thinking the current one is over. On my Parrot Bluetooth device, when the time exceeds the total track time, it just stops displaying the time, and the slacker track keeps playing.

So I think its an issue on both ends. Android is always incrementing the track time sent over bluetooth based on the last timestamp from the Play App, even when other music sources are playing, and Sync seems to be sending the Skip track signal back to the phone when it sees the timestamps as invalid, instead of just ignoring it.

I can easily reproduce this issue by playing through google music, and advancing towards the end of the song, lets say 30 seconds from the end, and then pausing it. Then open slacker and start playing. The song will skip in about 30 seconds.

Hopefully someone has figured out the problem or a workaround, cause I'm pretty sure if this is the problem that both sides will just blame the other and even if there is a fix, the phone will be obsolete before it comes out.
    PowrDroid and Sleightt like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jhadad View Post
    It seems that the change in Jelly bean is that Bluetooth Music streaming now sends the audio timestamps along with the audio data. Both Sync and my Parrot system in my other car now display the current track time while playing music through the Play Music App. The problem is that when playing slacker & Pandora. The current track time left over from the Play Music App starts incrementing. When that incrementing time passes the total track time of the last song played in the Play Music App (even though you are playing slacker), Sync seems to be sending the Skip track signal back to the phone and slacker skips to the next song. Slacker/Pandora never reset this time (Not Sure if they can), so Sync keeps skipping to the next track thinking the current one is over. On my Parrot Bluetooth device, when the time exceeds the total track time, it just stops displaying the time, and the slacker track keeps playing.

So I think its an issue on both ends. Android is always incrementing the track time sent over bluetooth based on the last timestamp from the Play App, even when other music sources are playing, and Sync seems to be sending the Skip track signal back to the phone when it sees the timestamps as invalid, instead of just ignoring it.

I can easily reproduce this issue by playing through google music, and advancing towards the end of the song, lets say 30 seconds from the end, and then pausing it. Then open slacker and start playing. The song will skip in about 30 seconds.

Hopefully someone has figured out the problem or a workaround, cause I'm pretty sure if this is the problem that both sides will just blame the other and even if there is a fix, the phone will be obsolete before it comes out.
    Nice detective work. Can anyone verify these findings?
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #50  

I hope the new update that just came out fixes the problem. Has anybody received the update yet?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast