Maxx hd vs Droid DNA vs S3 (I9300 or I9305)

uanaka

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys!

Anyways, I've had my little razr flip phone for around 4 years now and I can finally get an upgrade. So I've narrowed my choices down to 3/4 options.

Samsung Galaxy S3 (I9300 or I9305, is the extra ram that important?)
HTC Droid DNA
Droid Razr Maxx HD

Just a little information to help you make a decision. I'm still a student and I'm not really that knowledgeable about rooting and that stuff (probably wouldn't root phones, don't see benefit really) . So all I would use the phone for is general texting, calling, web browsing, games, social networking and music/streaming music.
- I'm not too into the gaming and multitasking, so idk about ram and that stuff. But essentially, I'm looking for a phone with a battery that can last me the entire day (limited to moderate usage) or even more would be great. I know the Maxx has the best battery, but it also has a bad camera (i like to take pictures from time to time). But I like its build.

I guess in general i'm looking for fast and good battery life... the android 4.1/4.0 doesn't really matter seeing as I don't really keep up with it. As long as the phone works, I can message, call, play and listen to music it fits my need.

Thanks!

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
HTC Sense takes away a lot from Android. The multitasking is horrible and battery life was sub par. HTC is flooding the market with high specs but its not worth it to me. Samsung devices feel cheap and Touchwiz, for me when i tried it out was the worst thing i had experienced. The camera on the MAXX HD is great on JB, the battery life is unreal, the phone construction is unbeatable, its 99% vanilla android and the most reliable/stable phone I think I've ever used. I've finally found a phone that I could see using for 5+ years...you won't regret it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

uanaka

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
HTC Sense takes away a lot from Android. The multitasking is horrible and battery life was sub par. HTC is flooding the market with high specs but its not worth it to me. Samsung devices feel cheap and Touchwiz, for me when i tried it out was the worst thing i had experienced. The camera on the MAXX HD is great on JB, the battery life is unreal, the phone construction is unbeatable, its 99% vanilla android and the most reliable/stable phone I think I've ever used. I've finally found a phone that I could see using for 5+ years...you won't regret it.

Wow in that case I'm leaning towards the Maxx HD , but what about when compared to the DNA?

Thanks

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree the maxx HD for your needs if you were a power user I'd say get the s3 the maxx is a great phone with awesome battery life in my opinion the dna is just a really nice screen nothing wow about it

uanaka

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree the maxx HD for your needs if you were a power user I'd say get the s3 the maxx is a great phone with awesome battery life in my opinion the dna is just a really nice screen nothing wow about it

So IF i was a power user get the maxx.. but if not the S3 is fine? I know I stressed about the maxx, but how is the battery life on the s3, would it get me through the day with moderate use? (texting, like 20 minutes of calling, 1 hr gaming ... and web browsing?) Doesn't the DNA have a 2gb ram and quad core? neither phones have that.. is it a big difference?

thanks

Also do you know if tmobile supports 4g on an unlocked phone?

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
So IF i was a power user get the maxx.. but if not the S3 is fine? I know I stressed about the maxx, but how is the battery life on the s3, would it get me through the day with moderate use? (texting, like 20 minutes of calling, 1 hr gaming ... and web browsing?) Doesn't the DNA have a 2gb ram and quad core? neither phones have that.. is it a big difference?

thanks

Also do you know if tmobile supports 4g on an unlocked phone?

The s3 has good. Battery life and will get you through a day maybe more the quad core and 2gb of ram on the dna is. Good on paper but in real life use the maxx and s3 perform great I say the maxx because of the battery life and the skin on android the max has is real light compared to tw and sense

uanaka

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
The s3 has good. Battery life and will get you through a day maybe more the quad core and 2gb of ram on the dna is. Good on paper but in real life use the maxx and s3 perform great I say the maxx because of the battery life and the skin on android the max has is real light compared to tw and sense

Thanks I'll probably get the Maxx, i'm guessing you have the maxx? How is the speed? response touch compared to the S3? I dont really care for the camera

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I could be the token DNA guy, but I really think you need to pick up all three devices and base your decision how you think it feels in your hands and how you like the screen. You will be holding the device in your hands and staring at the screen or then duration of ownership. If one feels better than the other and the screen makes you happy then go with it.

The truth is that all three devices will make it through the day and serve the needs you describe.

Steve

PS Today's HTC Sense is not the Sense of the past. It is a lightly modified experience... Not the behemoth that barely looks like Android.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks I'll probably get the Maxx, i'm guessing you have the maxx? How is the speed? response touch compared to the S3? I dont really care for the camera

I actually have a note 2 but I've used the maxx and I think it better suits your needs and the maxx has jellybean which is smoother then ice cream Sandwich which the verizon s3 has

edneum2

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
sounds like you are in the same boat i was, only i had the droid x for 2 years. before that I had a motorola flip phone. I'd say chances are with the razr you've not experienced the frustration of limiting your daily phone use due to worry of running out the battery. I remember this when I first got the droid x. I was enamored with the ability to access the internet anywhere anytime, but those feelings of elation soon turned to frustration when I realized if I wanted to use the phone the way i wanted I had to have my phone in my right pocket and a charger in the left. If you look at the battery usage summary for anyone's phone, the screen's display is gonna hog the majority of juice by a long shot. With the DNA's massive display, if you but the same battery in it and the maxx hd, i'd guess the DNA would run 2/3s to 3/4s as long. Combine that with the fact that the DNA has a 2020 mAh battery vs 3300 mAh in the maxx hd and its gotta be a huge difference. S3 has essentially same display as max hd with 2010 mAh battery.
Quad-core vs dual core should allow more apps and functions to run simultaneously, however, I have experienced no lag in apps no matter what I have running on my max hd (granted, I have no experience with gaming).
Every phone takes X amount of storage right off the bat with what's pre-loaded on the phone. This leaves 11gb of of storage with the DNA vs 26gb on the maxx hd (not sure what the available user storage is on the S3, but it like the maxx hd, starts out with 32gb).
The biggest leg up for the S3 and DNA is the extra GB of RAM. The fact that I just don't ever see any lag on my max HD leads me to believe the extra RAM is a not-so-necessary luxury.
DNA seems to have a significant leg up on camera. All 3 are 8 MP, but F2.0 aperture on the DNA compared to F2.4 on maxx hd and F2.6 on S3 (smaller F is better) is going to allow for better low light performance, or blurry backgrounds like what you'd see on high end SLR lens. However, to take advantage of that large aperture, the shutter speed is gonna have to be be pretty fast to prevent overexposure or blur (haven't seen any info on max shutter speed for any of the 3 phones).
Obviously, myself or anyone else that owns a max hd places great importance on battery life, but its hard for me to accept an argument as to why you wouldn't (kinda takes the "mobile" out of the phone).

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't care what anyone says, unless you're using all 3 phones at once, you will notice zero speed differences. This phone (the MAXX HD) really does not get enough credit. It should be the best phone of 2012 but it won't bc on paper, the specs aren't "top of the line". This phone is amazing and I am one of the most anal people when it comes to cell phones.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I've really like my original maxx, decided to buy maxx hd now because of it. Bought on swappa and will have this weekend. Not looking forward to setting everything up but know I'll be happy after I do..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2