Not all Micro-USB cables created equal?

debracey

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Hey,

I'm coming to a RAZR HD from an old Droid Pro and noticed that my Droid Pro's Micro USB charger doesn't charge the HD very well -- it acts like the cable isn't plugged in very well and switches between charging/not charging. If I compare the Pro's charger to the one for the RAZR I notice the RAZR's metal connector is just a tad bit longer, probably about 1mm. This makes sense because the phone's Micro USB port seems to sit back from the bezel by about 1mm more than "normal". The Pro's cable sits in the HD pretty loosely, so that's probably why it doesn't charge the phone that well. I really prefer the Pro's charger because the cable is a lot longer and the power connector blades are interchangeable for easy international travel...

Anyone else noticing this? It's worth noting that the official charger for the RAZR works/fits just fine, so it's not like there's a problem with the phone.

-- Dan

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes there are variations in the cable connector. If a cable gives me trouble I throw it out so I don't have to deal with it again. I use a few different cables though, and they all work fine.

The last time I had an issue where the phone thought it was being connected/disconnected a lot, it was a charger issue. I emailed Motorola and I had a replacement by the end of the week.

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
This is true. I have quite a few micro usb cables around. All of them will charge the phone, but only the one that came with the phone will actually work to transfer data.

dirkbonn

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I would use the charger that came with your phone. You can buy longer cables, up to 2 meters I think. The charger that came with the phone has circuitry that helps prevent damage to the battery due to overcharging.

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I noticed the same thing, some old cables, especially miniusb cables with a prong converter, don't charge the phone; they just maintain its current charge level. Luckily the phone lasts for so long that I only need one charging cable which I keep at home. I haven't found a decent price for the charger that came with the phone, but I'd jump on that if it was available.

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I would use the charger that came with your phone. You can buy longer cables, up to 2 meters I think. The charger that came with the phone has circuitry that helps prevent damage to the battery due to overcharging.
This is no longer true. All Microusb is the same, the "circuitry" is in the phone itself. Now, with that said, some computers dont do high power usb, and as such wont put much charge in the phone, as in, it will maintain a charge, but wont recharge.

jims52

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
All of them will charge the phone, but only the one that came with the phone will actually work to transfer data.

That is good to know. Thanks for that info. I just bought a Maxx HD (coming from a Droid X2) from someone off the Marketplace forums and had no idea that only the one that came with the phone would transfer data. You've saved me a lot of headaches.

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The cable that works is available for around $3.50 on Amazon.
BTW, about half the cables I had lying around worked. The one that came with the Kindle worked, for instance. It's worth trying your existing cables.

jims52

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The cable that works is available for around $3.50 on Amazon.
BTW, about half the cables I had lying around worked. The one that came with the Kindle worked, for instance. It's worth trying your existing cables.

Thanks, I'll try a couple of my other cables to see if they work. Would be nice to have a backup.

ExpatKS

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
I have been having USB to micro USB problems too, with android and recently a Hudl & a TomTom. The original Hudl cable (1m) is thicker (dia) than some of the UK & China purchased ones (about 6), The TomTom cable is thicker too & I have same probs with this bit of gear if I use a generic. Some non-manufacturer supplied will only charge & some will only transfer data (1M & 2M). The Hudl & TomTom supplied cables (thicker dia) charge & data transfer OK, while 3 overseas/cheap (thinner) only transfer data. I suspect the wiring is different and probably the resistance too.

You probably get what you pay for as most Chinese ones eg are very cheap. Ask the supplier on (say) Ebay to confirm that they will charge/transfer data on your particular equipment. If they say yes you can return if they don't. If they say don't know then don't buy it.

If not only use the cable supplied by the manufacturer.

Incidently, the Hudl & TomTom cables are interchangable. Both thick in dia & manufacturer supplied.

It's obvious that all USB/micro USB cables are NOT the same.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX