Any way to make the camera usable?

Dheinle

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I've been using this phone for about 2 weeks and love everything about it except the camera. Is this a case where it has good optics and crappy software like the Nexus 4? Or is is just crappy hardware? I tried using Camera Zoom FX and the pictures are not much better. Is there anyway to make this thing take a decent picture? Any other apps or settings I can check to get decent pictures?

Thanks for any suggestions
Dennis

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been using this phone for about 2 weeks and love everything about it except the camera. Is this a case where it has good optics and crappy software like the Nexus 4? Or is is just crappy hardware? I tried using Camera Zoom FX and the pictures are not much better. Is there anyway to make this thing take a decent picture? Any other apps or settings I can check to get decent pictures?

Thanks for any suggestions
Dennis

What problems are you having? My experience is that the camera has trouble in low light shots where the flash is not invoked. Otherwise, it's a pretty good camera.

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Same here as PowrDroid. The incidence of blurry pics had gone down with the JB update on my camera. I find the flash is more frequently switched on now in low light situations, but there are still times where I find I need to manually enable the flash.There are workarounds, but I don't find the camera to be a deal breaker by any means.

Dheinle

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
It seems like it doesn't use the flash when it should, then when I turn on the flash the pictures are too bright. It just seems like all the pictures are fuzzy to me. Maybe I am being too picky.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
It seems like it doesn't use the flash when it should, then when I turn on the flash the pictures are too bright. It just seems like all the pictures are fuzzy to me. Maybe I am being too picky.

A couple of tricks I employ:

1. Don't use the virtual shutter button on the phone's viewfinder screen to take your shots. Tapping on that will sometimes cause camera jiggle. Instead, go into your camera settings and set "Volume Key Function" to capture. Once you make that change, to take a picture you hold down the volume button and when you want to take the shot you release the volume rocker. This method allows you to use two hands to hold onto the phone, increasing stability and minimizing camera jiggle.

2. While framing the shot, using index finger of your free hand, tap the screen in the area where you want the camera to focus. Using this tip, in conjunction with tip #1, will give you clearer shots.

My sequence is this: Holding the camera in right hand with thumb on bottom edge, index finger positioned on volume rocker, middle and ring finger on top edge, I depress and hold down the volume rocker. Then I tap the screen with my left index finger on the area I want the camera to focus. Then I grip the phone with my left hand--index finger on top left corner, thumb on bottom left corner, for added stability. Then I release the volume rocker/shutter. After a while it becomes a natural movement.

As always, make sure your camera sensor window is clean.

bevorules

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I have been using the "Stable Shot Mode" in Camera Zoom FX, and my shots come out a bit clearer.
If your shots are not being exposed correctly, try a different metering mode in Camera Zoom FX. Spot metering can help if you are trying to expose for one small part of your scene.

dbeedle

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
+1 on the Camera Zoom FX. It seems to do a better job for me but I don't take a lot of pictures with my phone so, my experience is limited. Camera 360 is also supposed to be a good alternative.

Cowchip

May 17, 2010
Visit site
"Any way to make the camera usable?"

Simple answer: no.

Nothing can help this sorry excuse of a camera. It is easily the worst camera I've ever used. It's too bad because enjoy the phone for the most part.

anon(5484072)

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
"Any way to make the camera usable?"

Simple answer: no.

Nothing can help this sorry excuse of a camera. It is easily the worst camera I've ever used. It's too bad because enjoy the phone for the most part.

LOL. You must be young.You've probably never had to use one of these:
31515624-2-300-DT1.gif

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
My problem is pictures out of focus, not overexposed nor underexposed. No problems with "noise" in dark photos. I just wish I could focus manually. Quick Shot camera definitely focuses better.

GatsbyGlen

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
For a phone, I think the pictures come out fine. If I want a real, quality picture then I'll use a real camera :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
^ the camera really needs to be better, the original RAZR was even better, if I take a picture of small text it is illegible on this phone. Unacceptable.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
^ the camera really needs to be better, the original RAZR was even better, if I take a picture of small text it is illegible on this phone. Unacceptable.

No sweat. Could have been sharper yet, if my hand was steadier.

Attachments

• Fine-Print.jpg
    Fine-Print.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 30

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
^a broken clock is right twice a day, too.

I normally don't complain over this kind of stuff, but with taking a photo in the same conditions, the RAZR HD yields a WORSE picture than the original RAZR.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey