Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Dheinle's Avatar

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

    Default Any way to make the camera usable?

    I've been using this phone for about 2 weeks and love everything about it except the camera. Is this a case where it has good optics and crappy software like the Nexus 4? Or is is just crappy hardware? I tried using Camera Zoom FX and the pictures are not much better. Is there anyway to make this thing take a decent picture? Any other apps or settings I can check to get decent pictures?

    Thanks for any suggestions
    Dennis
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Any way to make the camera usable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dheinle View Post
    I've been using this phone for about 2 weeks and love everything about it except the camera. Is this a case where it has good optics and crappy software like the Nexus 4? Or is is just crappy hardware? I tried using Camera Zoom FX and the pictures are not much better. Is there anyway to make this thing take a decent picture? Any other apps or settings I can check to get decent pictures?

    Thanks for any suggestions
    Dennis
    What problems are you having? My experience is that the camera has trouble in low light shots where the flash is not invoked. Otherwise, it's a pretty good camera.
  3. #3  
    t0ked's Avatar

    Posts
    169 Posts
    Global Posts
    187 Global Posts

    Default Re: Any way to make the camera usable?

    Same here as PowrDroid. The incidence of blurry pics had gone down with the JB update on my camera. I find the flash is more frequently switched on now in low light situations, but there are still times where I find I need to manually enable the flash.There are workarounds, but I don't find the camera to be a deal breaker by any means.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Dheinle's Avatar

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

    Default Re: Any way to make the camera usable?

    It seems like it doesn't use the flash when it should, then when I turn on the flash the pictures are too bright. It just seems like all the pictures are fuzzy to me. Maybe I am being too picky.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Any way to make the camera usable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dheinle View Post
    It seems like it doesn't use the flash when it should, then when I turn on the flash the pictures are too bright. It just seems like all the pictures are fuzzy to me. Maybe I am being too picky.
    A couple of tricks I employ:

    1. Don't use the virtual shutter button on the phone's viewfinder screen to take your shots. Tapping on that will sometimes cause camera jiggle. Instead, go into your camera settings and set "Volume Key Function" to capture. Once you make that change, to take a picture you hold down the volume button and when you want to take the shot you release the volume rocker. This method allows you to use two hands to hold onto the phone, increasing stability and minimizing camera jiggle.

    2. While framing the shot, using index finger of your free hand, tap the screen in the area where you want the camera to focus. Using this tip, in conjunction with tip #1, will give you clearer shots.

    My sequence is this: Holding the camera in right hand with thumb on bottom edge, index finger positioned on volume rocker, middle and ring finger on top edge, I depress and hold down the volume rocker. Then I tap the screen with my left index finger on the area I want the camera to focus. Then I grip the phone with my left hand--index finger on top left corner, thumb on bottom left corner, for added stability. Then I release the volume rocker/shutter. After a while it becomes a natural movement.

    As always, make sure your camera sensor window is clean.
    Thanked by 2:
    mumfoau likes this.
  6. #6  
    Dreamliner330's Avatar

    Posts
    1,032 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

    Default Re: Any way to make the camera usable?

    Your not being too picky. This camera is worse than the original RAZR. Pics are constantly dark/blurry.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Any way to make the camera usable?

    I have been using the "Stable Shot Mode" in Camera Zoom FX, and my shots come out a bit clearer.
    If your shots are not being exposed correctly, try a different metering mode in Camera Zoom FX. Spot metering can help if you are trying to expose for one small part of your scene.
  8. #8  
    dbeedle's Avatar

    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock, Rooted

    Default Re: Any way to make the camera usable?

    +1 on the Camera Zoom FX. It seems to do a better job for me but I don't take a lot of pictures with my phone so, my experience is limited. Camera 360 is also supposed to be a good alternative.
  9. #9  
    Cowchip's Avatar

    Posts
    254 Posts
    Global Posts
    546 Global Posts

    Default Re: Any way to make the camera usable?

    "Any way to make the camera usable?"

    Simple answer: no.

    Nothing can help this sorry excuse of a camera. It is easily the worst camera I've ever used. It's too bad because enjoy the phone for the most part.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Any way to make the camera usable?

    Quote Originally Posted by ditchparrot View Post
    "Any way to make the camera usable?"

    Simple answer: no.

    Nothing can help this sorry excuse of a camera. It is easily the worst camera I've ever used. It's too bad because enjoy the phone for the most part.
    LOL. You must be young.You've probably never had to use one of these:
    Thanked by 4:
    spiraleze and klwit307 like this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Any way to make the camera usable?

    My problem is pictures out of focus, not overexposed nor underexposed. No problems with "noise" in dark photos. I just wish I could focus manually. Quick Shot camera definitely focuses better.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Any way to make the camera usable?

    I took a bunch of pics this Christmas and I was pleasantly pleased with the results.
  13. #13  
    Cowchip's Avatar

    Posts
    254 Posts
    Global Posts
    546 Global Posts

    Default Re: Any way to make the camera usable?

    Quote Originally Posted by PowrDroid View Post
    I took a bunch of pics this Christmas and I was pleasantly pleased with the results.
    I took pics today as well and was disappointed as predicted.
  14. #14  
    Cowchip's Avatar

    Posts
    254 Posts
    Global Posts
    546 Global Posts

    Default Re: Any way to make the camera usable?

    Quote Originally Posted by pegs520 View Post
    LOL. You must be young.You've probably never had to use one of these:
    http://asset1.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d...-2-300-DT1.gif
    The quality isn't too far off.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Any way to make the camera usable?

    For a phone, I think the pictures come out fine. If I want a real, quality picture then I'll use a real camera

    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
    t0ked likes this.
  16. #16  
    Dreamliner330's Avatar

    Posts
    1,032 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

    Default Re: Any way to make the camera usable?

    ^ the camera really needs to be better, the original RAZR was even better, if I take a picture of small text it is illegible on this phone. Unacceptable.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Any way to make the camera usable?

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post
    ^ the camera really needs to be better, the original RAZR was even better, if I take a picture of small text it is illegible on this phone. Unacceptable.
    No sweat. Could have been sharper yet, if my hand was steadier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any way to make the camera usable?-fine-print.jpg  
    klwit307 likes this.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Any way to make the camera usable?

    What's the trick? I can't photograph small print either.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Any way to make the camera usable?

    Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    What's the trick? I can't photograph small print either.
    Trick? No trick. Every setting was on Auto and it was in natural light. No flash. Point and shoot.
  20. #20  
    Dreamliner330's Avatar

    Posts
    1,032 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

    Default Re: Any way to make the camera usable?

    ^a broken clock is right twice a day, too.

    I normally don't complain over this kind of stuff, but with taking a photo in the same conditions, the RAZR HD yields a WORSE picture than the original RAZR.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Any way to make the camera usable?

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post
    ^a broken clock is right twice a day, too.

    I normally don't complain over this kind of stuff, but with taking a photo in the same conditions, the RAZR HD yields a WORSE picture than the original RAZR.
    The original Razr? As in the flip phone from 2006 or thereabouts? BTW, was your avatar photo taken with your phone?
  22. #22  
    Dreamliner330's Avatar

    Posts
    1,032 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

    Default Re: Any way to make the camera usable?

    ^As in the original Android RAZR.


    My Avatar is Nic Cage from Face Off.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Any way to make the camera usable?

    I'm using Jelly Bean with the latest version of Camera FV-5. Just snapped the attached photo and am not disappointed. Shot under kitchen ceiling halogen lights with shadows. You shouldn't let the camera performance stop you from buying the Razr HD Maxx.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any way to make the camera usable?-rootbeers.jpg  
    Thanked by 3:
  24. #24  
    dbeedle's Avatar

    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock, Rooted

    Default Re: Any way to make the camera usable?

    Wish I had known about Camera FV-5 before paying for Camera Zoom FX. I'm really not interested in all the effects. FV-5 looks, to me, how a camera should look! If it works better than the onboard camera software I may just have to buy another camera app!
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Any way to make the camera usable?

    Quote Originally Posted by warrusty View Post
    I'm using Jelly Bean with the latest version of Camera FV-5. Just snapped the attached photo and am not disappointed. Shot under kitchen ceiling halogen lights with shadows. You shouldn't let the camera performance stop you from buying the Razr HD Maxx.
    My indoor shots don't seem to look that good. I wonder whether I'm doing it wrong, or whether it's that app you mentioned.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Any way to make the screen dimmer?
    By Soundtrack to Chaos in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-23-2013, 03:40 AM
  2. Any way to make the phone button go to call log instead of dialer?
    By durangojim#AC in forum Verizon Fascinate
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-24-2012, 02:59 PM
  3. Any way to get the stock ICS Camera and Calendar apps?
    By youngjediboy in forum Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-13-2012, 01:44 PM
  4. Any way to change the default camera app?
    By LandLockedPH in forum Droid RAZR MAXX
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-04-2012, 11:07 AM
  5. Any way to make default email view the combined view?
    By eriet30 in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-31-2012, 01:47 PM

Posting Permissions