[Solved] Disable Facebook Birthday Notifications

pmkelly

May 4, 2011
www.pmkelly.com
I keep getting notifications in the notification bar from facebook (apparently) telling me when people have birthdays. I can't figure out why I am getting these. I have disabled notifications from the facebook app. I am not syncing facebook contacts with my phone. To the best of my knowledge, these things shouldn't be showing up, but they are.

Is anyone else having this issue? Does anyone have a solution to make them stop? (Other than the obvious solution of deleting the facebook app?)

I've searched and have not found any solutions. I'm starting to wonder if this is just one of those "have to live with it" things. Grumble.

*** UPDATE 21 DECEMBER 2012 ***

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. As best I can tell, even when you turn off all notifications from within the facebook app [ Facebook --> Settings --> Notifications ], the current version will ignore the setting in the case of birthday notifications.

The only solution that worked for me was to turn off all notifications for this app through the Android app manager itself [ Settings --> Apps --> Facebook --> Show notifications ]. But that worked like a charm.

*** UPDATE 01 JANUARY 2013 ***

It appears that maylouwho12 has found the correct setting buried in the facebook account settings. See reply #12 in this thread for details. Thank you, marylouwho12!

Last edited:

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Disable Facebook Birthday Notifications?

In calendar app, goto settings then calendars to display and uncheck the facebook calendar. if thats not there, one of the calendars there may have synced all your fb info.

pmkelly

May 4, 2011
www.pmkelly.com

In calendar app, goto settings then calendars to display and uncheck the facebook calendar. if thats not there, one of the calendars there may have synced all your fb info.

Thanks for the suggestion. The only calendars there are (A) my gmail account calendar; and (B) my device calendar. When I view the calendars, they don't seem to have these birthdays listed. I will uncheck the "Device calendar" to see if that helps.

Is it relevant at all that the icon in the notification bar is a small facebook icon? I guess I would have assumed that had to be generated from the facebook app.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

Go into your app list > Settings > Accounts & sync > select your Facebook account > uncheck the Sync Contacts.

pmkelly

May 4, 2011
www.pmkelly.com

Go into your app list > Settings > Accounts & sync > select your Facebook account > uncheck the Sync Contacts.

I double checked that, indeed, Sync Contacts is off. I actually don't see a menu specified "exactly" as spelled out above, but I'm sure it's the same one. Settings --> Accounts --> Facebook --> Contacts is where I go, and it's not really a checkbox, but rather a "toggle" to enable or disable sync. In any case, it's off.

If it helps at all, it really does look like it is coming from the Facebook app itself. When the icon appears in the Notification Bar and I swipe down to see all of the notifications, the app identifies itself as Facebook. And if I long-press the notification itself, I get a link to "App info" that verifies it is coming from the Facebook app.

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

So then turn off Facebook notifications from the Facebook app.

pmkelly

May 4, 2011
www.pmkelly.com

Ah-HA! Maybe I have found it. As I mentioned above, when I long-click on the notification, I get a link to "App info". When I press that, it takes me to the regular app page where I can select Force Stop, Uninstall, Clear Data, etc.

There is actually a check box there that says "Show notifications". I will try unchecking that to see if it does the trick. Still surprises since I turned off notification within the Facebook in-app Settings panel, but oh well. Hoping this does the trick. Will report back in a day or two when I know if it is working or not.

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

No worries, there's a serious over-quoting problem in these forums so I can understand why you'd miss my post. Good luck!

pmkelly

May 4, 2011
www.pmkelly.com

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. As best I can tell, even when you turn off all notifications from within the facebook app [ Facebook --> Settings --> Notifications ], the current version will ignore the setting in the case of birthday notifications.

The only solution that worked for me was to turn off all notifications for this app through the Android app manager itself [ Settings --> Apps --> Facebook --> Show notifications ]. But that worked like a charm.

MagicTechPros

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site

I think I have a solution. This is for the Galaxy S3 but it might work for you.

Tap the button with the button with the 3 lines on the top left of the Facebook app. scroll down to the bottom and tap account settings. It will ask you to Login to a device app if you haven't already. Then tap notifications and uncheck the birthday reminder box. I Hope this helps. I'm not sure why Facebook is making this so difficult.

Magic Tech Pros, LLC
magictechpros.com

marylouwho12

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Solved] Disable Facebook Birthday Notifications?

Absolutely none of this worked for me (I have a Samsung Galaxy S3). I went to the Facebook app, clicked on the button with three bars at the top left, went to Account, then Account Settings, then Notifications, then Mobile Push and unchecked Birthday Reminder. So:

1. Facebook app.
2. Button with three bars at top left.
3. Account.
4. Account Settings.
5. Notifications.
6. Mobile Push.
7. Uncheck Birthday Reminder.

Hope this helps!

pmkelly

May 4, 2011
www.pmkelly.com

Wow.... that was buried in the depths of obscurity. Thanks for finding and posting that! That seems to be the "correct" solution for this, and I don't think I would have ever found it on my own. Will update original post at top to point folks to your response. Thanks!

pmkelly

May 4, 2011
www.pmkelly.com

Are you on a Droid Razr HD or Droid Razr Maxx HD? With the latest version of Android and the facebook app? Just checked mine again, and indeed I have the setting available. If you have a different phone or different version of Android, it may be in a different place. No doubt that the setting was buried and hard to find.

Rick Schmitz

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

I have a Droid Razr Maxx and this setting is not there. My issue is slightly different - I am NOT getting birthday reminders and would like to get them :). I have been digging through every menu I can find and have not found it yet.

rdrean

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site

Awesome. Exactly what I was looking for and gave me a chance to use multi Window apps for an good reason

Mauricio Maroto

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site

Hi guys. Something strange happened to me regarding these birthday FB notifications. You see, I have not ever recived these kind of notifications until today. I received something like "Celerate with Mary' today. Write a birthday wish on her timeline". So, how this was generated. Anyone with the same kind of notification?