New Owner Recommendations Requested

kokishin

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
My RMHD will be arriving on 12/21. I presume it will have ICS installed.

After I get it working on the Verizon network, I plan to get it working with my wireless router. (If that should be problematic as some have reported, I will request an RMA and return it immediately. I am not going to waste time should it have trouble connecting to my DIR-655 which works great with all my other 802.11n gear).

Should I immediately update to JB?
If so, should I initiate an FDR after receiving the JB update?

Should I configure the RMHD is a specific way to increase speed and/or battery life?

Which apps, utilities, and widgets would you recommend I install?

I would like to implement mobile hotspot without paying Verizon extra. A few folks have very recently reported they got FoxFi working with JB. Hope that is true. If not, is there another recommended app that will enable mobile hotspot operation?

What else would you recommend?

I plan to use Verizon's Asurion insurance program and I will be looking for a thin and light case to protect the RMHD.

Thanks in advance for your inputs and feedback.

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site

After I get it working on the Verizon network, I plan to get it working with my wireless router. (If that should be problematic as some have reported, I will request an RMA and return it immediately. I am not going to waste time should it have trouble connecting to my DIR-655 which works great with all my other 802.11n gear).

Turn off 'don't use weak Wi-Fi' in the Wi-Fi settings. That eliminated my drops.

Yes. I would. And I did.

Should I configure the RMHD is a specific way to increase speed and/or battery life?

Not sure what there is to do.

That's a huge question. Very personal.

I would like to implement mobile hotspot without paying Verizon extra. A few folks have very recently reported they got FoxFi working with JB. Hope that is true. If not, is there another recommended app that will enable mobile hotspot operation?

I have the Share Everything plan so I don't have an answer.

I plan to use Verizon's Asurion insurance program and I will be looking for a thin and light case to protect the RMHD.

I use the Incipio Feather Lite case. Very thin. Not sure it'll save it in a drop, but I like how it feels.

Thanks in advance for your inputs and feedback.

anon(5484072)

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
If you want to root, you have to do it on ICS. You can't root on jb. You have to make sure to follow certain steps if you plan on upgrading to jb.

And if you need USB mass storage, speed dial, or foxfi, stick to ICS.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

I don't see how it would be a problem. Some may have reported a problem (miniscule amount), but then again, only people with a problem in this area would report it. People aren't going to post "My phone hooks up to WiFi just fine."

I would. But I'm not planning on rooting my phone until there is a way to root JB.

I didn't, and my phone is working fine. But if you were going to do so, it would be an opportune time to do it.

On battery life you might want to deselect "automatic screen brightness", switch it to manual and turn it to below 50%. Also, there are some SmartActions you can implement to help battery life. Practically speaking, I don't see a way you could run the battery out of power in 24 hours if you tried to do so.

That's personal preference. You might try Googling "Top Ten Free Android Apps" or else go into the Google Play Store and look at the most frequently downloaded apps, click on the description and see if it appeals to you.

Here's a few I carried over from my last phone:
K9 Email (syncs with email servers better and has more features than stock email app.)
WiFi Analyzer
Speed Test
Tape-a-Talk (turns your phone into a sound recorder)
Flashlight
SoundHound (identifies any song playing--quite impressive)
Google Translate

As another person mentioned, if you are on Verizon Share Everything plan you can create mobile hotspots and only be charged for data usage on your phone (at least I think this is how it works, not sure.)

Have fun! And get ready to be blown away by battery longevity.

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
You'll never have to worry about battery life, you don't need to even think about it. The complete freedom will take some to get used to

Last edited: