Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Default Re: Lag post jelly bean update

Quote Originally Posted by chadillac3 View Post
    Me too. Nova really makes this phone that much better. While I liked the circles app, the way I have it set up now is even better for me. I use the battery indicator app and that way I don't have to unlock my phone to see the battery percentage.
    To replace the moto quick settings, I'm using a Widgetsoid widget (similar to Power Toggles, but there are a couple things about it that work better for me), and I'm using the "Chrome Rings" clock from "One More Clock" which gives time/date/weather/battery in a layout similar to Circles. Someone on here pointed me to it. It's not quite as good a widget as Circles, but it does let you set different actions when you tap different corners and stuff, so you can set it to open alarms when you tap at the left side, open battery info when you tap the right side, and so on...it's not as cool though because the circles themselves don't contain specific touch spots, the areas of sensitivity are divided into square sections. Hard to explain. It's one of the more functional non-Circles widgets that I've found though.

Anyhow, Circles notwithstanding, the phone as a whole is better like this.
    Thanked by:

I had found this little bit of advice posted elsewhere and decided to give it a go. Seemed to make quite a difference....

Go to settings>apps>all
    Scroll down to Circles and clear all data.
    Back into apps, scroll down to homescreen, touch, clear data.
    Then reboot the phone.

You will have to do your home screen setup back to the way you had it, but this seems to have removed the scrolling lag I was dealing with, as well as the Circles widget redrawing a lot.
    Malchore likes this.

I was having similar problems with lag, and it all disappeared when I turned off all Smart Actions.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Megaroad View Post
    I installed Nova today and yeah, it's smoother with that launcher. That's interesting. One nice thing about that is, you can get rid of the google bar at the top of the screen (and actually use that space, not just hide it), which is cool because that bar is redundant with swipe-up-from-Home on this phone.

The downside of using the Nova Launcher is you can't use the Circles widget with it, which I've found to be a very nice way of accessing various things. I'll probably stick with Nova for a while and see how much I miss Circles. The weather portion is no loss, because I like the Google Now weather better - but the ability to tap the clock to access alarms and tap the battery to access battery usage was nice. I'm currently using Widgetsoid to provide quick settings and a time/battery widget, but you can only set the time to open the clock, not go directly to alarms, so it's an extra click. The battery portion does go directly to battery usage though.
    I had major lag issues and gave nova launcher a try. Has stabilized my phone and things are working well. Thank you!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums
    Looking for some Android knowledge...

Quote Originally Posted by Megaroad View Post
    To replace the moto quick settings, I'm using a Widgetsoid widget (similar to Power Toggles, but there are a couple things about it that work better for me), and I'm using the "Chrome Rings" clock from "One More Clock" which gives time/date/weather/battery in a layout similar to Circles. Someone on here pointed me to it. It's not quite as good a widget as Circles, but it does let you set different actions when you tap different corners and stuff, so you can set it to open alarms when you tap at the left side, open battery info when you tap the right side, and so on...it's not as cool though because the circles themselves don't contain specific touch spots, the areas of sensitivity are divided into square sections. Hard to explain. It's one of the more functional non-Circles widgets that I've found though.

Anyhow, Circles notwithstanding, the phone as a whole is better like this.
    I really like the one more clock widget, thanks for that also!

^You're welcome - it's recommendations I got from others on this board.

I rooted and I'm trying out the Vitreous ROM right now, which is quite nice. It's stock-like, smoother than the Moto UI, and all the bloatware is removed. It's a "4.1-4.2 hybrid." He's working on a pure 4.2-based version, is my understanding.
    Thanked by:

is google now the main cause of lag

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Chan1 View Post
    is google now the main cause of lag
    Yea I stopped that also. I have no idea how to root.

Quote Originally Posted by ShuckNet View Post
    Yea I stopped that also. I have no idea how to root.

Just in case some aren't aware, using a launcher like Nova doesn't require you to root. It's just an app download from the Play Store.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post
    I've been trying to figure out this lag thing too...I really dislike lag. I disabled Google Now & disabled the Verizon Apps as previously suggested. I also think I may have found something awesome:

It may be premature, but I believe I've found a way to get rid of almost all lag. I installed this apk called Seeder.

My lag pretty much gone. I've been disappointed in EVERY Android phone I've ever had (because of lag)...this seems to have fixed it.
    Anybody else look into this solution?

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts

I just got the update this morning. I'm scared to update as I have read some bad things. Has JB gotten any better?

Also with the update will I lose anything
    How long did it take to update?

Sweet Home Chicago

Sprint BB Curve (long time) ---> Vzw Eris (3 days) ---> Storm 2 (less than a year) ---> Droid X (less than a year) ---> Razr Maxx (one year) ---> Razr Maxx HD (little over a year) ---> White Galaxy s5

I was having the same problem with lag and also smart actions not working at all. I would always get a popup that said "smart actions has unexpectantly stopped" However I have found that by turning off the "dont keep activities switch" it is all good now. Go to settings>all settings>developer options> scroll all the way to the bottom to "apps" and make sure "dont keep activities is unchecked.

This will help

Go to Developer options>Turn off Window scale, Transition scale and animation scale.

I do this with every android phone and it makes it 40% faster.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

I've experienced no lag with this phone and I'm running stock.

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

It's been a while, but I'll update on mine. I quit using SwiftKey and went back to the stock keyboard and while it's still not as smooth and "buttery" as ICS was, it's proved to be a significant improvement. Note that I still have Google+ turned off (doesn't really do me any good in my area) also.

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

I'm considering going back to ICS.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has figured out a definitive solution for lag. I have Google Now and Google + disabled, along with animations at .5, but the lag gets really really horrible sometimes, virtually unusable. Anyone?

In general the lag isn't a huge deal to me, but when I use my wife's iPhone 5 I'm often shocked at just how responsive it is. Between that and Facetime, I could almost see myself making a move to an iPhone in a year or two. Nova Launcher does help speed things up, and I have Google Now and Google + disabled as well.

I do freakin love the battery life still. That alone will probably drive me to use phones with huge batteries.

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

In general the lag isn't a huge deal to me
    when I use my wife's iPhone 5 I'm often shocked at just how responsive it is. Between that and Facetime, I could almost see myself making a move to an iPhone in a year or two.
    These seem to contradict each other.

I'm convinced people that claim 'very smooth and no lag' must have never used an iPhone. Lol.

What I mean is that it doesn't really bother me but that doesn't mean there isn't a big difference compared to the iPhone

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

What I mean is that it doesn't really bother me but that doesn't mean there isn't a big difference compared to the iPhone
    Bothers me something fierce.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post
    I'd be interested to know if anyone has figured out a definitive solution for lag. I have Google Now and Google + disabled, along with animations at .5, but the lag gets really really horrible sometimes, virtually unusable. Anyone?
    Go into Settings > Apps > Running

and find out which apps are memory hogs. Turn the worst offending app off, then use the phone for a while to see if the lag has gone away. Repeat as necessary with other apps. Time consuming to be sure, but I don't know what else you can try.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

I installed nova launcher and like you said its perfect super fast. Thanks for your 2 cents worth. So good I felt I had to reply.

Global Posts
    1,509 Global Posts
    ROM
    HTC One stock

Just installed nova launcher and chrome circles, and teslaunread that will show the numbers next to the unread message app

Quote Originally Posted by joe_fresh View Post
    Just installed nova launcher and chrome circles, and teslaunread that will show the numbers next to the unread message app
    And it's running faster?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast