Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Default Lag post jelly bean update

There have been only a couple of threads about this, but I have noticed a lot of lag after the update. The home screen would constantly redraw when coming from another program or upon waking up. Also, moving from screen to screen would not be very smooth.

Well, I just installed nova launcher and it seems like a new phone. No lag and very smooth. Hopefully that means a future tweak to the home screen software can fix it up. I was actually thinking of going to S3 because the lag was so annoying.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Would obviously be interested in others views/experiences.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Thanked by 2:
    vivwhitty likes this.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts

Default Re: Lag post jelly bean update

My home screen re-renders much more frequently after JB. Gmail and Chrome also lock up every few days. Have had to do the "battery pull" way more often than I should. I loved ICS.

Same issues here post JB

- - - Updated - - -

Battery life is significantly worse as well.

I installed Nova today and yeah, it's smoother with that launcher. That's interesting. One nice thing about that is, you can get rid of the google bar at the top of the screen (and actually use that space, not just hide it), which is cool because that bar is redundant with swipe-up-from-Home on this phone.

The downside of using the Nova Launcher is you can't use the Circles widget with it, which I've found to be a very nice way of accessing various things. I'll probably stick with Nova for a while and see how much I miss Circles. The weather portion is no loss, because I like the Google Now weather better - but the ability to tap the clock to access alarms and tap the battery to access battery usage was nice. I'm currently using Widgetsoid to provide quick settings and a time/battery widget, but you can only set the time to open the clock, not go directly to alarms, so it's an extra click. The battery portion does go directly to battery usage though.
    Thanked by:

I was frustrated with the stuttering home screen as well, plus I never used the quick settings page or the Google search bar, so I installed Nova a week or two ago. Much, much smoother than the stock launcher. If you install the One More Clock widget and use the Chrome Rings theme you can assign different functions when you tap a different area of the widget. For instance, when I tap the NE corner of the widget it opens the battery usage. When I tap the SW corner it launches the alarms. The widget itself may not be quite as visually appealing as the Motorola one, but for me it provides nearly the same functionality.

Update: I think using Nova Launcher has definitely improved this phone for me. It runs more smoothly, and it allowed me to set up a cleaner UI.

Try turning off Google Now. I had some lag that immediately went away after turning off G Now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Quote Originally Posted by pblakk View Post
    Try turning off Google Now. I had some lag that immediately went away after turning off G Now.

How?

Quote Originally Posted by thunderup View Post
    I was frustrated with the stuttering home screen as well, plus I never used the quick settings page or the Google search bar, so I installed Nova a week or two ago. Much, much smoother than the stock launcher. If you install the One More Clock widget and use the Chrome Rings theme you can assign different functions when you tap a different area of the widget. For instance, when I tap the NE corner of the widget it opens the battery usage. When I tap the SW corner it launches the alarms. The widget itself may not be quite as visually appealing as the Motorola one, but for me it provides nearly the same functionality.
    Same here, running NOVA launcher and the phone is fast and smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    How?
    As in the pic, bring up Google search by tapping on the search bar and immediately minimizing the keyboard, then hit the menu button on the bottom right corner and tap Settings, and then you'll see Google Now on the very top.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lag post jelly bean update-uploadfromtaptalk1356631716210.jpg  
    tpdtopcop likes this.

Global Posts
    1,040 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

My phone just seems very slow overall. My Nexus was much faster and was a year older. Kinda annoying.

Wow was having same issue, turned off Google now and fast as can be.
    We need an update google......

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums
    pblakk likes this.

Man I had a forced restart today after a Chrome crash and the other day it rebooted on its own just sitting there on my desk. I had that happen on an old BlackBerry a while back being the last time. What's with this?? All of this strangeness started after JB.

Thanked by:
    Who? 
    Who? likes this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Turning off Google now definitely seems to help a bit with the lag. Still not as smooth as it should be though. Maybe they will have it fixed when they release 4.1.2. Since that was the version for the old razr maxx, seems like we should be expecting a small update soon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I'd rather go right back go ICS.

Google Now is definitely an issue. Here's my findings:

1. Turning it off immediately fixed the lag issue on the homescreen. I'm still using Nova as I found it more to my liking.

2. Turning it off fixed my battery drain issues. My phone and my coworkers phone are now basically using the same amount of battery.

3. Google Now CAN be enabled and not cause battery drain, but you must have all location services off. That was the only difference in settings between our phones, so my guess is Google Now was constantly checking location.

MUCH happier with my phone now. I do hope Moto fixed my phone volume issue (always set to high when I place/pick up a call), but I can live with that as I'm not making that many calls on the phone.

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

I've done it all and my phone still lags. Google Now has been off for at least a week. I did the hardware reset. I can't believe we don't have the option to go back to ICS if we want. The phone was nothing short of EPIC with ICS.

Can't say I disagree...to be honest I don't see any advantages to JB with the way I use the phone.

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

I've been trying to figure out this lag thing too...I really dislike lag. I disabled Google Now & disabled the Verizon Apps as previously suggested. I also think I may have found something awesome:

It may be premature, but I believe I've found a way to get rid of almost all lag. I installed .

My lag pretty much gone. I've been disappointed in EVERY Android phone I've ever had (because of lag)...this seems to have fixed it.

I was experiencing the lag as well, but Google Now was not my problem. It was Google +. Here's what I did:

I went in to settings, apps, all, Google +. I uninstalled updates, cleared data and disabled it.

I am still using Google Now and my lag is GONE!
    No matter how hard you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

I just disabled Google + so I'll report back on how mine is behaving later on. Thanks for the tip.

The effect was almost immediate for me with great speed improvement. I hope it works for you.
    No matter how hard you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

That didn't do it unfortunately. I really just want to return to ICS at this point. I can't believe they would release an update for the phone and then feel that all this lag was acceptable. ICS was SOOOOO smooth 110% of the time, that any lag on a supposedly improved release is not acceptable.
    Who? likes this.

I still say try Nova Launcher. It makes scrolling around a lot smoother, and gives you a lot of customization options too. I've been happier with my phone since I installed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Megaroad View Post
    I still say try Nova Launcher. It makes scrolling around a lot smoother, and gives you a lot of customization options too. I've been happier with my phone since I installed it.
    Me too. Nova really makes this phone that much better. While I liked the circles app, the way I have it set up now is even better for me. I use the battery indicator app and that way I don't have to unlock my phone to see the battery percentage.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast