Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Will an update come soon?

Has anyone heard of an update arriving soon to settle these signal issues? My 4G LTE is weaker then my original Maxx even after the original was updated to ICS. I'm sitting at -110 dbm and it's getting ridiculous because it continues to cut out for me at times. But that's my MINOR issue. My major issue is that my Wi-Fi continues to cut out and I've had the phone replaced two times already so I'm on my 3rd. I have tried different routers and brands and the same result: Wi-Fi drop or stays connected but no longer works on this device. After speaking with the representative, they told me an update was coming this month but to be honest I don't believe her. She said it was in their computer system. Upon ending the call, I called again and another representative said no update is known by them and he can't find anything regarding one. He even offered me a different phone to replace the RAZR HD Maxx but the only one offered was an LG Intuition which I immediately said no to. Battery wouldn't even be close and I despise LG products in general. Jokingly I said how about a Samsung Note II since my friends works as advertised since it's not that much newer but his Supervisor said "No Go" since it's still considered an "Iconic" phone. I despise TouchWiz but anything to get get away from this awful Wi-Fi issues I'm having. Well, except LG. Everyone I know who has had LG dropped more calls on every carrier.

Sorry for the rant. I have no idea why Motorola continues to fail me with this phone. Any word on an update? I'd rather never have to switch to a different phone since I paid full price for the HD due to it's great size and specs for my needs. And yes, I have the option to disconnect when signal is weak deselected. I've tried 5 and 2.4 Ghz. I've went to friends houses and tried. Damn phone is a P.O.S. and my battery was at 10% last night after 14 hours (2 Hours screen, 25 min talk). No auto update apps. Just Wi-Fi jacking it up.

Default Re: Will an update come soon?

Sorry you have had so many issues. My daughter and I both have had a Maxx HD for a few months now and our 4G LTE has been strong and we have never dropped wifi at the house or at the office.
    klwit307 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

What type of router? At home I've tried my Linksys e3000 which gives me trouble with the RAZR HD but no other devices. My friend has some Asus gaming router and another has a WRT100 by Linksys and it happens to me there on all three devices. This seems to be a known problem and I need my Wi-Fi to work properly with my device since 4G is being so sketchy. I appreciate everything Verizon does and in no way feel they owe me anything such as a new device. Although, I do feel even offering an LG Intuition is more of an added insult to injury considering LG phones can't compare in battery life and other categories. The representative laughed when he came back saying it was an offer but doesn't advise it. Oh well, hopefully an update will come soon that will fix my issue(s) and if not I hope the Samsung Galaxy Note II comes off of "Iconic" status so I can have it switched out with a little bit of luck and persuasion.

As a note, in case you don't know what Iconic means; it means popular device. A top seller that Verizon would have trouble keeping in stock. The iPhone 5 is still considered Iconic while the RAZR HD lasted about a month in this status. Also, as of right now my phone has been off the charger for 14 hours and had a very similar usage of 40 Minutes Talk Time and 2 Hours of Screen time. Oddly enough my battery percentage remaining is 70% unlike yesterday with the same settings it was at 10% by this time. The battery level varies day to day because of these Wi-Fi issues and no other reason and that's my main concern. I don't want to give this battery up though.

ROM
    Stock

E2K,

its been documented in other posts that if you go into WIFI settings, Advanced, and uncheck the "Avoid poor connections" option that this problem has gone away for most people. Try that out, and let us know how that works. It made my wifi drop outs go away.
    Thanked by:
    Eclipse2K and Deron Baker like this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by djousma View Post
    E2K,

its been documented in other posts that if you go into WIFI settings, Advanced, and uncheck the "Avoid poor connections" option that this problem has gone away for most people. Try that out, and let us know how that works. It made my wifi drop outs go away.

Thank you but I posted in that thread and I am still having issues weeks later. I called Verizon for one more replacement and we will see how that goes. If not, I will wait for a fix or live with it because I can't give up this battery.

Edit - I just changed my Wi-Fi settings to only connect to 2.4 GHz rather then Auto. Any idea if this would help at all?
    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Stock

What wireless security are you using on your router? Originally i was using WPA2 with AES encryption. had lots of drops too. I changed it to WPA2 with TKIP(or TKIP+AES, not at home to look right now), and maybe thats what fixed my problem. Tried too many things at once.

EDIT: BTW, I am also running the Cisco/Linksys E3000 router, but with the DD-WRT software
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by djousma View Post
    What wireless security are you using on your router? Originally i was using WPA2 with AES encryption. had lots of drops too. I changed it to WPA2 with TKIP(or TKIP+AES, not at home to look right now), and maybe thats what fixed my problem. Tried too many things at once.

EDIT: BTW, I am also running the Cisco/Linksys E3000 router, but with the DD-WRT software
    WPA2 w/ TKIP and AES. I'm running then latest stock firmware though and not the WRT. Not sure how good the WRT is but it would need to work without closing my XBOX 360 NAT so its a risk.

Nevermind, that's my old router. As much as I know about routers I can't find the menu to select this. I can only set security type and password protect it. After that, there is nothing available. Weird. Shouldn't there be?

I am in the same boat and same area, chicago. except i dont use wifi. my 4g signal drops and sometimes only to voice. i dont get signal in areas i did before with my 3g blackberry. wife has an iphone5 on verizon and i took both phones to some weak signal areas in the chicago area. her iphone5 got full bars 4g in many areas where the maxx hd got 2 bars 3g or voice only....
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by conan1071 View Post
    I am in the same boat and same area, chicago. except i dont use wifi. my 4g signal drops and sometimes only to voice. i dont get signal in areas i did before with my 3g blackberry. wife has an iphone5 on verizon and i took both phones to some weak signal areas in the chicago area. her iphone5 got full bars 4g in many areas where the maxx hd got 2 bars 3g or voice only....
    Strange.

And I see the original RAZR is having an issue with WiFi too now that it has Jelly Bean. I never saw this before Jellybean on the original so Motorola messed up and it is software related.

As for the data signal, please remember Android now displays signal strength differently now. However, this does not explain the loss or data were experiencing. I'm becoming extremely frustrated though.

FWIW, my primary router is an E4200 running stock software, relaying to an E3000 running dd-wrt in repeater bridge mode, which is what I have the phone connect to. It is very reliable. As soon as I come home, it connects and it never drops wifi.

The primary router provides a stronger signal than the bridge in some places in my house, but the bridge's signal is at least adequate all over the house. (The primary router is not adequate in a couple of rooms.) The two routers have separate SSIDs because the dd-wrt software doesn't work if they have the same one. I noticed that the phone wasn't happy if it tried to switch between the two, or to a third SSID that the main router transmits on 5GHz. All my switching problems went away when I limited the phone to 2.4GHz and removed the password for the main router SSID. Now it only knows the bridge on 2.4 and always gets a rock-solid connection.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I upgraded my router from the Linksys e3000 to Asus RT-AC66R (Wireless-AC1750 802.11ac).

Let's see if my problems persist. I'm tired of Linksys and their mediocre consumer products.

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

The new router did not fix my issues. I lost WiFi signal when only 5 steps from the room with it randomly after 5 minutes. An update better fix this issue because I'm becoming fed up. Mainly because the router helped improve my ping for other devices and made connectivity around the house stronger. Unless my phone has a direct line of sight it disconnects.

I am using the same Cisco router you are at home and a Linksys at work. The HD has no problems getting a good,stable signal anywhere in my 2 story house, nor does it drop the Linksys easily, even thru cinderblock walls. LTE is also very reliable - as reliable as any other phone I've had. I don't know what the problem is with yours, but maybe another return is in order. BTW, I always use 2.4Ghz. 5Ghz doesn't seem to get through walls as well (which makes sense, I guess).
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
    I am using the same Cisco router you are at home and a Linksys at work. The HD has no problems getting a good,stable signal anywhere in my 2 story house, nor does it drop the Linksys easily, even thru cinderblock walls. LTE is also very reliable - as reliable as any other phone I've had. I don't know what the problem is with yours, but maybe another return is in order. BTW, I always use 2.4Ghz. 5Ghz doesn't seem to get through walls as well (which makes sense, I guess).
    2.4 GHz is the best option and I use that. Are you running the latest firmware (1.0.04) on the Linksys e3000? I had ditched that router for issues pertaining to other things but I was hoping a new router would solve my phone. But 3 phones later and the 4th on the way doesn't seem to promising to me. I can't keep a stable connection in the room next to the router so there is a definite issue with these RAZR HD I'm receiving or in general. I really don't like it when some have no issues with the same hardware and others have a ton. Makes for a confusing "WHY ME" moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    2.4 GHz is the best option and I use that. Are you running the latest firmware (1.0.04) on the Linksys e3000? I had ditched that router for issues pertaining to other things but I was hoping a new router would solve my phone. But 3 phones later and the 4th on the way doesn't seem to promising to me. I can't keep a stable connection in the room next to the router so there is a definite issue with these RAZR HD I'm receiving or in general. I really don't like it when some have no issues with the same hardware and others have a ton. Makes for a confusing "WHY ME" moment.
    Again, my phone connects very solidly to that router (although I replaced the firmware with dd-wrt) from all corners of a fairly big two-story house. Plus I can walk around the house, on the deck, in the garage, etc. and stay connected. Do you have a wifi monitor app installed? There are a ton of them. Install one (Wifi Analyzer is a good one) and see what kind of signal strength it shows as you walk around the trouble spots. It might also show you an interfering access point. If you see a strong signal, like -60 dBm, where it drops the connection you would have a very different issue than if it's weak (like -85) even though you're close to the router.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    Again, my phone connects very solidly to that router (although I replaced the firmware with dd-wrt) from all corners of a fairly big two-story house. Plus I can walk around the house, on the deck, in the garage, etc. and stay connected. Do you have a wifi monitor app installed? There are a ton of them. Install one (Wifi Analyzer is a good one) and see what kind of signal strength it shows as you walk around the trouble spots. It might also show you an interfering access point. If you see a strong signal, like -60 dBm, where it drops the connection you would have a very different issue than if it's weak (like -85) even though you're close to the router.
    I'll check. My main concern is that this only happens on this phone. No other phone, tablet, laptop, etc. does this. My friend has the same issue with his RAZR HD on his network. The original RAZR Maxx of mine and his old Bionic didn't do this either.

But thank you for the suggestion.

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I'll check. My main concern is that this only happens on this phone. No other phone, tablet, laptop, etc. does this. My friend has the same issue with his RAZR HD on his network. The original RAZR Maxx of mine and his old Bionic didn't do this either.

But thank you for the suggestion.

My phone and tablet both show -30 as the average connection in router room. Both drop to -40 to -50 in that trouble spot and can keep this to the edge of the house for the most part. Only phone drops connection though even in a strong signal area. Keep in mind these numbers may be -45 as the worst too it's all in between but no where below -50.

My phone and tablet both show -30 as the average connection in router room. Both drop to -40 to -50 in that trouble spot and can keep this to the edge of the house for the most part. Only phone drops connection though even in a strong signal area. Keep in mind these numbers may be -45 as the worst too it's all in between but no where below -50.

You're not using a case, are you?
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

You're not using a case, are you?
    On my tablet, yes.

On my phone, no.

I've been using whatever the stock software is on the router, but I don't know what it is, sorry.

You haven't set up any kind of Smart Action to disable WiFi have you? Not necessarily one doing it now, but ever? I was having a strange issue of my WiFi indicator only showing one bar after setting one up. Sometimes, the wifi indicator and the network indicator would both disappear completely. I have since deleted the Smart Action and in fact disabled the app altogether.
    I also switched from Chrome to Dolphin as I noticed the signal drops only came while surfing the web with Chrome.
    I can't say which one made the difference, but since doing those two things, my WiFi hasn't dropped once. I'll go back to Chrome later and see if that or the Smart Action was the culprit.

Edit--as a side note, the lag I was experiencing after waking the phone and swiping to the quick settings screen is gone since disabling Smart Actions. Perhaps an issue between the Google software and the Moto Smart Action programming?
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Jones View Post
    You haven't set up any kind of Smart Action to disable WiFi have you? Not necessarily one doing it now, but ever? I was having a strange issue of my WiFi indicator only showing one bar after setting one up. Sometimes, the wifi indicator and the network indicator would both disappear completely. I have since deleted the Smart Action and in fact disabled the app altogether.
    I also switched from Chrome to Dolphin as I noticed the signal drops only came while surfing the web with Chrome.
    I can't say which one made the difference, but since doing those two things, my WiFi hasn't dropped once. I'll go back to Chrome later and see if that or the Smart Action was the culprit.

Edit--as a side note, the lag I was experiencing after waking the phone and swiping to the quick settings screen is gone since disabling Smart Actions. Perhaps an issue between the Google software and the Moto Smart Action programming?
    My only Smart Action is a silent when charging w/ VIP callers. I've used this setup since the RAZR Maxx. I'm beginning to think there is an issue here. Do you have it set to automatically connect/turn on? I turned that off because I noticed it was killing battery. Sometimes I drop signal totally and others it turns white. Either way, it doesn't load. It also at times becomes slower then 1X even on WiFi once I leave room.

The fact that its only this phone and nothing else is concerning since I know nothing I do myself is fixing it.

I'd still install Wifi Analyzer and see what it shows in your dead spot. Are there any other SSIDs interfering. Does it show any 5GHz SSIDs in the area. Your other devices might not have 5GHz radios like this phone, so it would be interesting to see what Wifi Analyzer shows in the area on that band.

Mine is set to automatically turn on. Also under the advanced WiFi settings, I have it set to always stay on during sleep and have unchecked the "avoid poor connevtions."
    Just for giggles, try disabling the Smart Action app (which may require uninstalling the update if updated first), do a soft reset, then check the WiFi again. You won't be out anything more than 5 minutes of your time.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

I'd still install Wifi Analyzer and see what it shows in your dead spot. Are there any other SSIDs interfering. Does it show any 5GHz SSIDs in the area. Your other devices might not have 5GHz radios like this phone, so it would be interesting to see what Wifi Analyzer shows in the area on that band.
    I've installed it already and it showed a good signal throughout the house. I'll monitor it more but I don't know what I will see. I have turned off 5 GHz from reaching my phone in the settings. My Xyboard and laptop support 5 GHz too. Even if something was happening out of the norm why would it only effect this phone and no other devices? That's where my issue comes in.

JJ, I'll try that. I have the same options selected and deselected though so smart actions is my only difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast