Maxx HD Dock Question Vehicle & Desk

sc4808

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I am new here, first post, thanks in advance for any help.

I did a search but may not have chosen the correct keyword so please don't bash if this has been covered before.

I purchased the Vehicle Navigation Dock but when I put the phone in it, the phone stays in normal mode, it does not switch to vehicle mode. I was able to get it to switch once by using Smatactions Driving Mode but it only worked once. I tried using a particular "bluetooth connection" as a trigger and also tried using "when docked" as a trigger.

Shouldn't the dock itself switch the mode to Vehicle when you phisically place the phone into the dock or do you have to use SmartActions to do it?

If placing the phone into the dock automatically triggers the switch, does power have to be hooked to the dock or does that matter?

Also can you switch modes when in the Vehicle Navigation Dock such as Desk Mode?

Is there a way to place the phone in different modes.......ie., Desk, Vehicle, Bedside, manually without being in the Dock?

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
The dock needs to have power. You can exit vehicle mode easily - just tap the u-turn arrow. As for the rest, I don't know.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
The dock needs to have power. You can exit vehicle mode easily - just tap the u-turn arrow. As for the rest, I don't know.

The dock does NOT need to have power. For some reason your phone is not aligning with the magnet. I have a very thin case on my phone and I have to give the phone an extra push on the plug side to get the magnets to align. Once the magnets align the dock mode will activate on its own, whether the dock is powered or not.

As far as getting the phone into different modes...I've not played with that. MikeLip is correct that in order to exit dock mode (while in the dock) you hit the u-turn arrow.

sc4808

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Magnets? I didn't know that was the trigger, so, the magnet is in the same area as the usb plug? I am having no luck in getting it to work, I have a thin case on the phone and have tried it both with and without the shell/case. I was assuming that the trigger was in the micro usb plug that is built into the dock, didn't know that it was a magnetic switch.

The only way that I can get car mode to work at this point is to use SmartActions and trigger it off on a particular Bluetooth connection and that works even if the phone is not in the dock. I don't want to use the same bluetooth everytime in the car so I really want the Dock to trigger car mode like it should.

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure there is no magnet. Both the vehicle and desktop docks use Motorola's ESP technology. In the case of the car dock the chip is the in the cradle. The desktop dock the chip is in the charger. This tells it which dock mode to switch to when plugged in. Possibly the contacts are not lining up on the dock correctly.

Edit: Here is a post from Motorola's message board that explains it.

sc4808

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure there is no magnet. Both the vehicle and desktop docks use Motorola's ESP technology. In the case of the car dock the chip is the in the cradle. The desktop dock the chip is in the charger. This tells it which dock mode to switch to when plugged in. Possibly the contacts are not lining up on the dock correctly.

Thanks for the help, at this point I am assuming I got a bad Dock, I will try and return it to Verizon for another one.

AdManTheLabRat

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

Hello,

I own both a Car Dock and an HD Dock for my Motorola Droid 4 (Verizon - Now Rooted).

Not sure what Motorola has to say, I am fetching the article now. Before I purchased mine, I was searching out reviews and I saw a 12 year old kid "Hack" a Car Dock for his Droid 4 with card board, duct tape and a magnet on YouTube. I placed a magnet on the back of my Droid 4 and depending where you place it either Drive Mode or Dock Mode is triggered.

Two years ago I thought Motorola was the coolest thing doing that with magnets.

HTH,
LabRat

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power