Swype vs. SwiftKey 3 (or Other Keyboard Apps)

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I was looking to improve my texting speed so I tried out Swype and downloaded and tried SwiftKey 3 Free. Some observations.

Swype: Takes a while to get used to swiping around the keyboard with one finger but once you get it right you can really fly. I find the predictive text function simply amazing. Also like the auto-space insertion. I found it worked best for me holding phone in portrait orientation. I didn't get tired because I'm only using only one finger and one hand. I really can't think of any downside except that it's so....different.

SwiftKey 3: More conventional method of typing. You can select fast typing mode (using two thumbs) or deliberate typing mode (one finger.) I used fast mode with phone in landscape orientation. This seems much more intuitive than Swype but after about 30 minutes of constant typing my thumb joints were getting a bit sore. The marketing material for this product touts the predictive text correction function but I didn't think it was as good as Swype.

After playing around with these two apps for about an hour and a half, I'm a Swype convert. There is some adapting to this new method of text entry but once you get the hang of it you can really fly. Plus, the bonus is that you can freak out onlookers that watch you texting by running on finger over the keyboard.

Have you tried these apps? Thoughts? What's your favorite keyboard app and why?

cherrywithns

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I have swiftkey and Swype beta and I find myself using Swype 90 percent of the time, I love it and am so used to it.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
There is also Swiftkey Flow which is a combination of Swype and Swiftkey - you might want to try it. I've tried them all but I keep coming back to plain old Swype.

JIH2009

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have been a huge Swype fan, typing this out using Swype! I do have a question for the o urged Swype users....When I turn my phone on for the day, the first time I text or need to type anything on the Swype keyboard, I have a major delay in the keyboard coming up, to the point where it asks if I want to wait or close the application. It has happened on various apps, so I'm thinking it's Swype. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Swype and the same thing happens. This issue showed up after JB, is anyone else experiencing this?

Kaptain75329

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I have been a huge Swype fan, typing this out using Swype! I do have a question for the o urged Swype users....When I turn my phone on for the day, the first time I text or need to type anything on the Swype keyboard, I have a major delay in the keyboard coming up, to the point where it asks if I want to wait or close the application. It has happened on various apps, so I'm thinking it's Swype. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Swype and the same thing happens. This issue showed up after JB, is anyone else experiencing this?

There's been some talk of this in the Swype beta forums, so I'm assuming it's a known issue. Whenever Swype loads into memory for the first time, it can take a minute or two before the keyboard appears. After that, all is well until reboot. I'm seeing the same thing here, but with the latest beta, the delay is only a few seconds here. You may want to clear data, uninstall, then install over Wi-Fi. I did that and find Swype to be working great.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm using Swiftkey Flow beta and it's simply the best for me. Swype does not predict whole sentences like Swiftkey and is no where near as accurate. It combines the unparalleled prediction and the Swype as well themed personalization. Try it, can always just delete it. http://www.swiftkey.net/flow/

Sent using the amazing RAZR Maxx HD

edneum2

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I have SwiftKey on both maxx hd & nexus 10. I never found swype too dependable. I love everything about swift: tons of customization and you can't beat word prediction and autocorrect

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I mostly have given up on the swype variants. I love the speed and ease of using them but it can sometimes put in some very odd and way incorrect words and correcting them isn't as easy as with the stock keyboard. I go back to them every so often and then go back to stock. When I first tried Swiftkey a long time ago I found its predictive text nice, but last time I tried it I don't think I used it once. It seemed pretty much useless to me, especially with SK Flow

ANewUser

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know if either of these has BB-style keyboard word substitution? (ie I type myaddr and I get 98435 NowhereRoad Stockton CA 29833)? I mean typed out immediately, not merely suggested.