Concensus - MAXX HD or SIII

Dave_k605

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
My gs3 lasts all day with heavy use. I average 14 hours with 3 hours screen on time. Sometimes better, sometimes worse.

No matter the phone/s I've had I always plug in at night, that being said I don't need a phone that can last 2 plus days. The screen/speed of the phone makes this a no brainer to me.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
My gs3 lasts all day with heavy use. I average 14 hours with 3 hours screen on time. Sometimes better, sometimes worse.

No matter the phone/s I've had I always plug in at night, that being said I don't need a phone that can last 2 plus days. The screen/speed of the phone makes this a no brainer to me.

That's simply not enough. A phone has to be able to last significantly longer than a normal day's usage, in order to be able to handle unusual usage. It's about it being available for use when you need it.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
That's simply not enough. A phone has to be able to last significantly longer than a normal day's usage, in order to be able to handle unusual usage. It's about it being available for use when you need it.

Agreed. I've been monitoring battery use lately and really pushing my phone. Three hours of screen time would take my Maxx HD battery down to about 60%. Three hours of screen time over 14 hours is not 'heavy use'. Yesterday I tried to drain the battery by using the phone pretty much all day long. I had 7 1/2 hours of screen time, mostly web surfing and texting, some gaming, and I got it down to 24% before I went to bed.

IMO, if you need to carry around a spare battery, you've got battery problems.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

Guess what it is, but you refuse to acknowledge that it can be

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

Dave_k605

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. I've been monitoring battery use lately and really pushing my phone. Three hours of screen time would take my Maxx HD battery down to about 60%. Three hours of screen time over 14 hours is not 'heavy use'. Yesterday I tried to drain the battery by using the phone pretty much all day long. I had 7 1/2 hours of screen time, mostly web surfing and texting, some gaming, and I got it down to 24% before I went to bed.

IMO, if you need to carry around a spare battery, you've got battery problems.

I have no need to carry a spare battery, my phone lasts past my work hours with heavy use. Once I get home I usually use my n7 or laptop, by bedtime around tenish I'm at 20 percent battery. This is more than fine to me.

Even if I had a maxx I would charge it at night, so for me the pros of the gs3 are far greater than that of the maxx.

Battery life isn't the only thing that make a phone enjoyable.

I'm happy that the maxx suits your battery needs, I'm aflashaholic, I need more than what any moto phone can offer at this moment.

Last edited:

winnex3

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Thats cool when got done working 12 Hours to day I saw my phone had about 70% Left on it I came home and had two hours of talk time and three hours of gaming on it and still had 40% left and then my Daughter ask me if I would take her for some ice cream when I went to start the car the battery was dead what was I to do well I jump the car off of my droid razr Maxx hd Amazing just go's to show you never know how much battery your going to need :) guys all Kidding a side I have both phone in my family I have played with both I don't think you can go Wrong with ether one for me I Picked drmhd because of the battery because you never know when you need more Juice plus I use it for a wifi hot spot the Samsung is a nice phone and my Daughter is real happy with it no Complaints my old phone would make it Through the day most of the time there were a few times it did not that would be when I needed the most so for me it's the hd I think that hd stand for heavy duty lol:) but for other People it might a bigger screen and lighter phone. Just a side note I had a G-1 when they first came out talk about bad battery life I had to turn every thing off and dim the screen to 30% just to get 5 Hours out of it that was 4 years a go these phones have came a long way.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Nice story....

The last line stuck out because they have come a long way in a short time really. You talk about the g-1. I was having the same experience with the generation right before this one with the rezound.

Awesome phone, glad I didn't have to put gas in it to keep it going.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I just enjoy the fact that I can leave everything on (WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, data), use all the features built into android (Google now, navigation, and all those fancy things the maps app can do), and never worry about turning things off because I have more than enough battery to make it through the day.
Not saying the S3 can't, its just nice to have more left in reserve when you use ALL the phones features.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Personally I think it comes down to how much you use your phone and how much you want to use the features. There's no disputing the fact that the Mass has the better battery.
Smart phones now have so many features and settings that make life easier. Why not have a phone that gives you the battery life to use them all? What good is feature X, Y, or Z if you have to disable it just to make it through a full day?
That's why I went with the Maxx HD. I can use all the features all the time and not have to worry about plugging my phone in before bed (sometimes not plugging it in for a couple days).
Yes, the SIII has slight edge in performance and screen, but the Maxx gives peace of mind knowing you will always have enough battery. Processing power or pixels per inch mean nothing if your phone is dead.

very good points. I am so on the fence between the Note 2, S3, and maxx HD. I have until July to make up my mind, but so far, the Note 2 has the best of both worlds, in my opinion. great battery life, plus everything the S3 has with a bigger screen. but I'm still undecided. the S3 will be just at year old in July, but the Specs would keep it relevant..the maxx HD should have had two GB of RAM, but that battery life is quite undeniable. Im not crazy about the size of the Note 2, but the specs just scream off the page at you. decisions, decisions.:confused:

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
By July you will have 3 different phones to choose from... Lol

since I have a "budget" and my wife and I both upgrade at the same time, cost is definately an issue. I'm predicting the note 2 will be around $199 by then, it's probably going to be the best phone for my money. however, the Maxx HD is already at $199 on some sites. when I first heard about the Razr HD and Maxx HD, I made my mind up then and there, but the S3 and the Note 2 have things that motorola doesn't offer. with the S4 coming out soon, I'm hoping they price it out of my range ($199 each) or I'll really be in a quandry.....

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I am lucky, my wife doesn't care much about which phone she gets so the budget is mine.

By July, if recent predictions hold up, the s4 could see a bit of a price drop. That is if it comes out in April lime has been suggested

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
By July you will see people selling the Maxx HD for $300 on Swappa and eBay.
I picked up my Razr HD for $360 recently. It was new in the box.

That being said right now a Razr HD or GS3 is king of the heap at Verizon.
The Note2 is too physically too big to compare.
The DNA has not removable battery *OR* storage.

The Razr HD bhas great battery life. I thought I was going to miss the extra capacity when going from my OG Maxx to a regular Razr HD. Not true.
For what I do the Razr HD is superior in battery performance. YMMV.

Just buy a phone.....

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Google-Rola's Phone "X" is due out in July.

Huge battery, 5" screen, possibly shatter-proof if dropped. Very close to stock Android. Bootloader will be unlockable. Bloatware will be removable. Top notch camera and photo software. Sold through phone carriers or directly at the Google Play store.

rickt1152

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
That involves cost and awareness of your charge. Being able to do anything without worrying about the battery or buying and carrying one around is priceless

This truly says it all. I came from a Gnex and always carried a spare battery around with me. I don't even think twice about using my Maxx for whatever I want because battery is not an issue. Another benefit is I get much better data coverage with Moto's attention to antenna design. I really like the S3 screen and form factor, but the Maxx is the better choice for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Google-Rola's Phone "X" is due out in July.

Huge battery, 5" screen, possibly shatter-proof if dropped. Very close to stock Android. Bootloader will be unlockable. Bloatware will be removable. Top notch camera and photo software. Sold through phone carriers or directly at the Google Play store.

You wrote that at 3pm, you shouldn't still be in bed dreaming

d1c1ple

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Still following - I'm leaning towards the MAXX HD for sure; my wife's S3 is utter crap on batterylife so far in the few weeks she's had it. Unplugged today at 6am and by 8am (not using and on wifi) down to 70% - 15% an hour loss idle on wifi is garbage