Concensus - MAXX HD or SIII

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Still following - I'm leaning towards the MAXX HD for sure; my wife's S3 is utter crap on batterylife so far in the few weeks she's had it. Unplugged today at 6am and by 8am (not using and on wifi) down to 70% - 15% an hour loss idle on wifi is garbage
Something is wrong there. I have been testing JuiceDefender, and even with it disabled my S3 eats about 4.5% an hour with texting, a couple calls and some Kindle use. Dead idle gets that down to about 2-3% an hour. I've been doing this for a week or so now and those are solid numbers.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Go with the s3

Updates = Faster + More Reliable

Toggles in notif drawer

Its a beast

The only con is the small battery, however ive heard release of a 6300mah batt. That is almost tablet sized... OMG!!

Sent from my SPH-L710

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
It is not normal either. There is something else going on there. An app is using power somewhere

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
no way thats normal . I just switched my wife over to my old s3 and today she is at 11h 13 min with no wifi all LTE . 1h43min screen on at full power . she has 64% battery left. she has text and had weather widgets running all day . now before all the razr people start WE all get that the razr maxx has way better battery life than a s3 . his wife has ether a bad app or a bad phone thats it plain and simple . there is nothing wrong with the battery life of the s3 despite what some people on here would like to make out . if the maxx was such a great phone you would think it would sell better than what it has seeing as how its got the most battery life of any phone right ......... i mean thats all you gotta have to be the best is battery life .

Haunted_Toaster

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Its never going to be a top seller only being on one carrier. I would agree there has to be more than battery life to make a good phone. But don't write off the razr one as as only having only one dimension either, that one just happens to stand out the most because of how much better it is than everyone else.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Please ignore that horribly constructed sentence in the middle...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums
Lord lets hope the grammer nazi's dont show up or im screwed . you wanna see a poorly constructed sentence then look no further than my post LOL . and im not saying that the MAXX is a one dimensional phone its a pretty good device on the whole it just doesnt beat the s3 at to many things other than battery life .

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
MAXX is a one dimensional phone its a pretty good device on the whole it just doesnt beat the s3 at to many things other than battery life .

Maxx HD only beats S3 in build quality, radio reception, and battery life--you know, those important phone thingies?

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Maxx HD only beats S3 in build quality, radio reception, and battery life--you know, those important phone thingies?
build quality is to subjective to count for much and with some of the posts ive read about people complaining of signal issues on the maxx i would say its probably only marginaly better than the s3 in that dept. so were back to battery life as the only clear win for the maxx .we wont even go into the camera or the screen or the fact that you can charge a samsung device with any charger that happens to be laying around while if you try and charge a moto with a generic charger it becomes basically unusable while its charging .

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
build quality is to subjective to count for much and with some of the posts ive read about people complaining of signal issues on the maxx i would say its probably only marginaly better than the s3 in that dept. so were back to battery life as the only clear win for the maxx .we wont even go into the camera or the screen or the fact that you can charge a samsung device with any charger that happens to be laying around while if you try and charge a moto with a generic charger it becomes basically unusable while its charging .

I've never once had a problem charging either my Razr Maxx or Maxx HD with any charger that happened to be laying around. If it fits, it charges.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
build quality is to subjective to count for much and with some of the posts ive read about people complaining of signal issues on the maxx i would say its probably only marginaly better than the s3 in that dept.

Oh, I see. Build quality is NOT subject to anecdotal evidence but signal quality issue ARE subject to anecdotal evidence. When I was shopping for phones I had it narrowed down to the Maxx HD and the S3. Using each phone's internal signal strength meter at the Verizon store the Moto phone had a much better radio. That was true for the Maxx HD, the Maxx, the M, all Moto phones had better signals than the S3. On 4G the Maxx HD had signal strength of -62 dB; the S3 had signal strength of -72 dB.

so were back to battery life as the only clear win for the maxx .we wont even go into the camera or the screen or the fact that you can charge a samsung device with any charger that happens to be laying around while if you try and charge a moto with a generic charger it becomes basically unusable while its charging .

S3 has the better camera. Screen? If you are looking at a spec sheet, yes the S3 wins. If you are looking with eyeballs, yes, the S3 wins, barely. Like MikeLip, I've used several chargers besides the one that came with my phone without problem. What, does electricity change going through a non-Moto charger?

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I use whatever charger is lying around and never had an issue with my Bionic, Razr, Razr Maxx or now my Razr HD. The only thing significant is that if it doesn't put out more than 750ma the charge will be slow. The S3 is the same. My daughter's S# charges from pretty much anything.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Oh, I see. Build quality is NOT subject to anecdotal evidence but signal quality issue ARE subject to anecdotal evidence. When I was shopping for phones I had it narrowed down to the Maxx HD and the S3. Using each phone's internal signal strength meter at the Verizon store the Moto phone had a much better radio. That was true for the Maxx HD, the Maxx, the M, all Moto phones had better signals than the S3. On 4G the Maxx HD had signal strength of -62 dB; the S3 had signal strength of -72 dB.

S3 has the better camera. Screen? If you are looking at a spec sheet, yes the S3 wins. If you are looking with eyeballs, yes, the S3 wins, barely. Like MikeLip, I've used several chargers besides the one that came with my phone without problem. What, does electricity change going through a non-Moto charger?

I'd be careful with signal strength numbers. Phones are not scientific or test instruments, and phone manufacturers are notorious for making the numbers look as good as possible (read - lying. They do that on batteries too). What I can say for sure is that the only place I've had the S3 drop a call is where ANY of my phones would - they all hold signal just fine, which is the criteria that matters after all. If you could pull the antenna off and put it on a real signal strength meter alone and in an identical position in the identical circumstances and surroundings, then I'd buy the numbers reported. But no, not numbers reported by the phone, which, I repeat, are often modified by a marketing factor to look better. Phones with markedly higher numbers indicate the enthusiasm for the phone makers lying marketers to lie more than their lying competitors. I'm not saying that there aren't differences between antennae, but I'd accept 2-3dB. Not 10dB,which is HUGE, dB being a logarithmic scale.

As for the screen, the S3 has a size advantage. At my age I will take the biggest, sharpest screen I can put in my pocket. Build quality? I haven't heard on single story of an S3 falling apart. It may be light, but the build is first rate. It's first rate on both.

Shuckster

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
All I know is all the sales reps I've talked to at Verizon have nothing positive to say about the s3. None of them use personally and I know it maybe a commission thing, but I trust my rep.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD maxx using Android Central Forums

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I've never once had a problem charging either my Razr Maxx or Maxx HD with any charger that happened to be laying around. If it fits, it charges.

Read what I wrote. I never said it wouldn't charge . I said the screen becomes almost unusable . Do a search it's a known issue . I have owned and still do own Motorola devices that have this issue .

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Read what I wrote. I never said it wouldn't charge . I said the screen becomes almost unusable . Do a search it's a known issue . I have owned and still do own Motorola devices that have this issue .

Maybe you should have been more clear? You just said it became "unusable" which is not the same as "screen becomes unusable" - to echo you, go back and read what you wrote. From the lack of information, I had to assume you meant a charging problem since you did not really impart any useable info and really the only thing a charger SHOULD affect is the charge. If plugging in to a charger affects the SCREEN, which is what you now appear to be saying, all I can say is that is truly weird since 5 volts DC is 5 volts DC regardless of source. Unless something is goofing up whatever weirdness Moto is using to detect docking somehow which, really, they probably should not be doing since it likely breaks the USB standard.

And, hey - YOU generalized, implying that all Motos fail when you plug generic chargers into them. That is not the case. To quote - "while if you try and charge a moto with a generic charger it becomes basically unusable while its charging ." Nope. Yours, yes. I accept that there is something wrong with your phone or possibly your generic charger. The correct phrasing would have been - "It's not unheard of for a Moto phone to fail to operate correctly when connected to a non-Moto charger." So as long as we are correcting others here, I returned the favor. You're welcome.:)

Last edited:

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Maybe you should have been more clear? You just said it became "unusable" which is not the same as "screen becomes unusable" - to echo you, go back and read what you wrote. From the lack of information, I had to assume you meant a charging problem since you did not really impart any useable info and really the only thing a charger SHOULD affect is the charge. If plugging in to a charger affects the SCREEN, which is what you now appear to be saying, all I can say is that is truly weird since 5 volts DC is 5 volts DC regardless of source. Unless something is goofing up whatever weirdness Moto is using to detect docking somehow which, really, they probably should not be doing since it likely breaks the USB standard.

And, hey - YOU generalized, implying that all Motos fail when you plug generic chargers into them. That is not the case. To quote - "while if you try and charge a moto with a generic charger it becomes basically unusable while its charging ." Nope. Yours, yes. I accept that there is something wrong with your phone or possibly your generic charger. The correct phrasing would have been - "It's not unheard of for a Moto phone to fail to operate correctly when connected to a non-Moto charger." So as long as we are correcting others here, I returned the favor. You're welcome.:)
So sorry I didn't spell it out for you. But if the screen on a touch screen phone becomes unusable while charging then the phone itself is basically unusable . I wonder if I took the time to provide links showing that it's a known issue with Motorola smart phones having issues with generic chargers you would man up and admit you were wrong ? Have a nice day.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
http://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...8QFjAE&usg=AFQjCNG0bu0n0Z8Uj081nnMXNuAelbW-WA
There you go read that and get back to me. It took exactly 5 seconds to find that I'm sure there's plenty more evidence out there to support what I said. And it's not like I'm saying Motorola makes a awful phone or something lord knows I've bought plenty of stuff from them in the last few years. I just don't think the Maxx is better than the s3.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
In case you was wondering I've owned the original Droid, the Droid x , bionic , razr , razr Maxx , razr m for my daughter , and the razr i that I use for a prepaid line . Since I've spent a ton of money on moto stuff the last few years I think I'm qualified to give a honest opinion .

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
http://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...8QFjAE&usg=AFQjCNG0bu0n0Z8Uj081nnMXNuAelbW-WA
There you go read that and get back to me. It took exactly 5 seconds to find that I'm sure there's plenty more evidence out there to support what I said. And it's not like I'm saying Motorola makes a awful phone or something lord knows I've bought plenty of stuff from them in the last few years. I just don't think the Maxx is better than the s3.

My phone is perfectly fine with the generic chargers I use.
But then again, even the generic chargers I use put out 1A (1000mA).
I suspect the chargers that cause issues don't put out the minimum 750mA and the phone is dosing strange things.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781