Overheating?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Mine gets very hot for no apparent reason. Sometimes I know it is due to a weak signal or synced email app server down but often I can find no earthly reason for the overheating. I check battery use and no particular app using enough battery to even show on the list. Darndest thing, I cannot figure it out. This can happen in my pocket even when not using phone. Google maps not on list using battery not is google now. It's screen, system, android this or that, email, and rarely the clock app.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

jtg11

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Same exact situation for me. I restart the phone and all is good for a day or two. I can actually feel the heat against my leg in my pocket.

Mine gets very hot for no apparent reason. Sometimes I know it is due to a weak signal or synced email app server down but often I can find no earthly reason for the overheating. I check battery use and no particular app using enough battery to even show on the list. Darndest thing, I cannot figure it out. This can happen in my pocket even when not using phone. Google maps not on list using battery not is google now. It's screen, system, android this or that, email, and rarely the clock app.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Same exact situation for me. I restart the phone and all is good for a day or two. I can actually feel the heat against my leg in my pocket.

I always worry it means I'm being hacked, especially when on open wifi but I can't find any evidence of it. Somebody should write an app specifically telling what is heating up the phone. I tried one such app but instead of using names I know of apps it would call them by some techie name I couldn't translate into which app it actually was.. you know com. fitzgoobiz. zippos. wfat. whatever.

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
In certain locations, my phone will get hot and have a precipitous battery drop. I suspect it's in an area where there are several weak signals and it keeps working to find a good one. Gotten to the point where I know when I'm in a certain location it is likely to happen.

dlgarrison

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I have had my Droid HD phone since April and it has overheated severely twice. Just did today. Also the apps began to not function properly. I also noticed that the battery charge had been depleted from 100 % at 6:00 AM to 19% at 10:30 AM with no usage besides standby in between.:(

NotFromHere

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I've had this phone since December. I started having some overheating issues about six months after getting the phone where it would just start getting REALLY hot for no apparent reason when it was just laying on a table not being used. I followed all of the steps in the "Disabling Apps/Bloat on RAZR MAXX HD" discussion/sticky that's at the top of this forum, and that did the trick for me. I think it was all of the Amazon apps that were running in the background at all times for no reason, but who knows? Anyway, do make sure you're disabling any and all of the pre-installed apps that can't be completely uninstalled (unless you use any of them regularly, of course), and hopefully that will help.

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I have had my Droid HD phone since April and it has overheated severely twice. Just did today. Also the apps began to not function properly. I also noticed that the battery charge had been depleted from 100 % at 6:00 AM to 19% at 10:30 AM with no usage besides standby in between.:(

Indicates an app using a lot of CPU. If you pull up the battery information, which app is at the top of the list?

Anytime my phone gets warm, and I am not doing something to account for the heat(streaming video, long call, etc), it is an indication that something is going crazy in there. Usually a phone reboot will fix. Or might have to deinstall the app causing the problem, if it was a recent addition to your phone.

Kooge

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
I've got the Droid MAXX and it heats up in my pocket. No battery drain though. But because it's uncomfortable it never stays in my pocket long and I just carry it around or put it down.

Last edited: