{Solved} Any way to streamline stand alone GPS activation?

Slacker-X

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Drives me crazy that after opening google maps, entering an address and then pressing navigate that there are at least 3 additional steps before I actually get GPS. Likewise if I do a voice navigate command. Is there any way to streamline this process other than keeping stand alone GPS on all the time? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Ok. Question posted before researching on other sites. What I found was that if you have stand alone GPS turned on all the time in the settings menu, the GPS is only actually ON when an app is actively using it. the following is reposted from a different forum:

Here again you need to understand how the GPS "radio" works. When you go into system setting and check all the various services you want to use for GPS this in itself does NOT turn on the actual GPS radio. To show you in real time - go into system settings and select which ones you want to use. Then open either your navigation or maps application and you will see a little icon appear on the task bar. It looks a little bit like a snow flake. When you see this icon appear then your GPS radio is turned on and working. Close the navigation or map application and you will see the icon disappear. Now the GPS radio is turned off. The services you select in system settings are only to tell the GPS radio which ones to use when it is actually turned on by one of the applications that uses GPS. SO go ahead and select them and leave them alone. The GPS radio will turn off and on when needed.
This is 100% true for the standalone GPS. However, when other AGPS location services are in use - Verizon & Google - the GPS icon does not appear on the notification bar. Like the standalone GPS, they only run when an app or process is actively using them, but there's no indication of when they're actually running. Many apps that have location permissions use the AGPS functions, and they'll attempt to determine your location without using the standalone GPS, so you won't have that crosshair icon letting you know they're active. The impact on battery life is minimal because they use very little amounts of background data, and they only run when an app or service actively uses them, but you don't get the notification like you do for standalone GPS. This is probably because the standalone GPS can cause major battery drain if constantly on, while the AGPS services won't.

But I agree that leaving GPS enabled is vastly misunderstood by many users. Unlike WiFi or Bluetooth, which continually scan to find networks/devices, GPS functions only run when an app or service is actively using them. So simply leaving then enabled in the settings won't adversely impact battery life. It's the use of applications and services that access your location that will.

Last edited:

lindycu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The only problem with this is Facebook's request of location services and being inside a building when browsing Facebook.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Save more steps.... Don't type into Google maps, just press the microphone in Google search bar and say Navigate and the address. Very accurate and much faster than i could ever type. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Question for the OP - I've noticed that when opening Maps, GPS lock-on will be almost instant as long as GPS has been turned on in the settings all along. But if GPS is turned off and you open maps and then turn on GPS, it takes a little while for it to find the GPS signal and lock on. Doesn't that contradict the notion that the GPS is only doing something when an app specifically asks it to?

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Question for the OP - I've noticed that when opening Maps, GPS lock-on will be almost instant as long as GPS has been turned on in the settings all along. But if GPS is turned off and you open maps and then turn on GPS, it takes a little while for it to find the GPS signal and lock on. Doesn't that contradict the notion that the GPS is only doing something when an app specifically asks it to?

No.
Hot start vs. cold start is the issue.
If you turn it off then it must "cold start" every time you turn it on. If you leave it on and it is used occasionally, it warm starts and uses the last location stored to attempt to locate you and then fine tunes location. That's a simplistic description but you are describing warm vs cold starting.

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
No.
Hot start vs. cold start is the issue.
If you turn it off then it must "cold start" every time you turn it on. If you leave it on and it is used occasionally, it warm starts and uses the last location stored to attempt to locate you and then fine tunes location. That's a simplistic description but you are describing warm vs cold starting.

Well...I think there's probably something happening in the meantime that allows a "warm start" to pinpoint you in literally 1 second. It may not take up much battery.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan