Razr MAXX HD: Is there any way to disable Google Now on the Home button?

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I use Nova Launcher, have the dock minimized and use the swipe up dock settings. Quite often I'll swipe up and inadvertantly hit the home button, which with the up swipe launches Google Now. I don't use Google Now, so that is a great inconvenience.

Is there any way to disable that?

Thanks in advance.

Edited to add: I know about disabling Google Now from the settings, and turning it off. I would like it not to show up when I swipe up on the Home button.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flapjack1976

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is there any way to disable Google Now on the Home button?

+1

I want to disable it running from the home button, too. It's really freaking annoying, especially since I turned all the settings off.

Flapjack1976

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

Ok, I just turned off disabled Google Search completely for now (Settings > Apps > Google Search > Disable). This seems like overkill for disabling the swipe action, though.

I think this can probably also be done in the pay version of Nova Launcher, which is the default launcher on the ROM I'm using.

hbark

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site

Look at page 12 on here, it describes how to turn Google Now off on our phones

Flapjack1976

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

Look at page 12 on here, it describes how to turn Google Now off on our phones
Thanks, but those instructions don't disable the swipe action bringing up the Google Now interface. The only way I've found to disable that is to disable the app itself under settings.

The problem with that is now I cannot even enter voice-to-text. This really sucks. Why can't I disable that stupid swipe action without crippling my phone. I never use it. It is seriouslly annoying to have it pop up while you're in the middle of doing something....

Elaine98

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site

I agree with you, Google Now is driving me crazy. I keep hitting it by mistake all the time. I've turned it off in settings, but it still comes up with keyboard activated for a search. Did you ever find a way to stop it from popping up at the most inopportune times?? Thanks!

aecl755

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site

I know it's a little late, but... You want to disable only the swipe, but keep all of the other great functionality of the Google search app? Check this out. It does exactly that. It doesn't disable Google Search, it just takes place of the swipe intent (think launchers, you press the home button, default one comes up, unless you've installed 3rd party launchers) and does nothing. So it's perfect!

Flapjack1976

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

I know it's a little late, but... You want to disable only the swipe, but keep all of the other great functionality of the Google search app? Check this out. It does exactly that. It doesn't disable Google Search, it just takes place of the swipe intent (think launchers, you press the home button, default one comes up, unless you've installed 3rd party launchers) and does nothing. So it's perfect!
Not too late at all. The app works freaking amazingly. It even let's you go back, the same way you'd reset default apps in settings. Ingenious.

Is there a way to rep from Tapatalk?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

Whew, thanks!! Works perfectly.

robocp4

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

Thank you so much this works perfect!!!

robaldred

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site

I've submitted feedback about this to google but i doubt they'll ever do anything.
I like Google Now but the swipe is frustrating I hold my nexus lower down the phone I always seem to catch it inadvertently when scrolling in other apps.
I'd prefer a double tap or long press or something else just not up swipe.

Thanks very much for this!

-Rob

B3NJAMON

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site

I knew i would find a solution on android central. Google now was messing up my PvZ 2 (the plant food is right next to the home button) :)

richardhughson

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

This is also driving me crazy as well, I am desperate to turn it off. I don't even understand what the point of it is when you can launch the same function from the home screen. I've tried the disabler app which is an improvement but doesn't really solve the problem.

Does anyone know of any way to turn it off completely?

ave111

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site

I have the same problem on my nexus 5. The links provided above in the thread are not working anymore. Anybody a working link?

molea

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site

Hi ave111, i too had trouble locating the app due to broken links, however after about 5 minutes of looking around online i came across a page where the author indicated that google had asked that he rename the app to 'SWIPEUP UTILITY' you can download it from Play Store. The app is nice and clean (doesn't run anything in the background). All it does it disables the google now swipe up action when you swipe home. It's exactly what i was looking for.

molea

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site

Hi, the author of the app was asked by google to rename the app. It's called 'Swipeup Utility' and is available from the store.

Seems i've added this twice. Apologies.

Last edited:

molea

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site

This is also driving me crazy as well, I am desperate to turn it off. I don't even understand what the point of it is when you can launch the same function from the home screen. I've tried the disabler app which is an improvement but doesn't really solve the problem.

Does anyone know of any way to turn it off completely?

Hi, the author of the app was asked by google to rename the app. It's available called 'Swipeup Utility' and is available from the store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol