Like my S3 but hate the battery. Should I get a Maxx HD?

pihutch

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I got my Maxx HD yesterday and have been 20.5 hours off the charger at this time. My battery is at 33% and screen use is at 48% (about 10 hours). I've done two system updates streamed music and run apps/games nearly every waking hour since I got it yesterday. I couldn't be happier!

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
So I tried to buy the Maxx HD tonight at Best Buy. Their computer system wanted me to answer "security questions" which included stuff like how much my wife's car loan costs, when my house was built, and other personal questions that a) I didn't choose and b) I had no idea of the answer to. So I was prevented from purchasing, despite the fact that I'm the account holder and had proper ID and account PIN number.
That has never happened when I've bought at Verizon stores and Apple stores.
Such a pain in the ass. Not sure how I'm going to get this for the Best Buy price (they would have matched Costco's $99).

Ideas?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

hbark

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Maybe try a different Best Buy? I got one last Sunday from them and didn't have to do any of that. And with their online gift card offer from the prior week, it was the same price as Costco (without the case and charger though)

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, definitely try a different best buy. I got my last phone from best buy and I didn't answer any questions. They just checked to see if I was the account holder. Not sure what's going on with the one you went to, but I've never heard of anything like that.

Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums

anon(5484072)

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not even the account holder, and I didn't have to answer any questions, I just needed some info from my account holder.

That sounds really sketchy.

Uncle Reemus

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
No battery saving apps or anything like that and had about 3 hours of screen time up to this point here...
Ended up putting it on charge at 25 hours with 5% left and 5 3/4 hours screen time

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361027063888.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361027063888.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 60

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm not even the account holder, and I didn't have to answer any questions, I just needed some info from my account holder.

That sounds really sketchy.

Yeah, I'm going to call Verizon Customer Service about it all.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Uncle Reemus

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Uncle Reemus are you rooted? if not how did you get the font face to change?

not rooted.... (not smart enough to do that) all you have to do is go into your settings>font>i think it is choco cooky for mine, but there are many apps that have different fonts

anon(5384869)

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I love my RMHD. For the same reasons you want one. Battery/usage freedom. Not being afraid of what I can and can't do before killing the battery.

That said, Motorola is rumored to be releasing an X phone in May/June timeframe, which people expect to have the same superb battery Motorola is known for lately. Personally, I'd wait for that one. Since you said you don't want to wait for 3+ months, maybe buy a used Maxx HD to hold you over until that phone's release?

If you're set on the Maxx HD, though, you can't go wrong. Is it the latest and greatest? No, but then neither is the S3 (8+ months old now). It has a pretty decent screen, UI is light and near stock, and this baby flies. You'll get the occational redraw, but I don't mind it so much. But all this said, you will get what you are looking for in battery freedom.

Good luck on your decision!

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
If you wait for the Motorola X, you have to ask yourself what you'd be willing to pay for it. Sure it will have things the MaxxHD won't, but at what price. If you're Ok with paying probably 299 on contract for the next best thing, then you wait. If not, this device is worth every penny below 200.

Sent using the amazing RAZR Maxx HD

fishstik5

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I really liked the week-long battery in my previous non-smartphone so I disable 4G when WiFi is on and use SmartActions to get every minute of battery life out of the RMHD that I can. Results are attached. Good enough for me. I know long battery life and 4G smartphones are generally mutually exclusive, but if battery life is a priority for you, this is the smartphone to get.

Also, I'm on a custom ROM, so I think that helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-03-08-04-23-57.png
    Screenshot_2013-03-08-04-23-57.png
    99.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_2013-03-08-04-24-03.png
    Screenshot_2013-03-08-04-24-03.png
    77.1 KB · Views: 34

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes I would buy it again. 7 months in and I only charge every 3 to 4 days. Very solid hardware and software.

No, that's not it. I don't need to troubleshoot my battery - the phone and software are working properly. The S3's battery simply doesn't last as long as I need it to given the amount of usage the phone gets.

What I'm basically asking is if current Maxx HD owners would buy again *today* or if they would wait to see what's coming in the next month or two. I don't want to wait longer (3+ months).

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
One thing I noticed about what your graphs showed was that your on 3g most of the time. I have found that when my phone is on 3g (traveling in areas without 4g) it is MUCH less efficient than on a strong or even weak 4g signal. That could and does (for me) drain your battery significantly more than when it doesn't have to search for 4g all day long. Could be that you have a signal issue not a battery issue. Hope you keep the s3 it's an awesome phone but you can't beat the battery life of a maxx or had maxx. Good luck to you!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Android Central Forums

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
One thing I noticed about what your graphs showed was that your on 3g most of the time. I have found that when my phone is on 3g (traveling in areas without 4g) it is MUCH less efficient than on a strong or even weak 4g signal. That could and does (for me) drain your battery significantly more than when it doesn't have to search for 4g all day long. Could be that you have a signal issue not a battery issue. Hope you keep the s3 it's an awesome phone but you can't beat the battery life of a maxx or had maxx. Good luck to you!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Android Central Forums

Your phone is constantly looking for a 4G signal even when its in 3G. You need to disable 4G in order to save the battery but not sure how you go about that on an S3. If you were to set your phone to 3G only there would be less drain since the phone would know to stop looking for a 4G signal.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
The SIII has a setting for CDMA only. I think that you find that in Settings>More>Mobile networks.

tbro4033

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
So I've had my RMHD since November and have never experienced anywhere close to the battery life you guys (and everyone else I know who has one) gets. Here's some screenshots from just now. Have already brought it to Verizon once. The sales associate was shocked by the poor battery life I explained, but then when she ran the "one hour phone call" test that they do, it only used 4% which is normal drain. So, they wouldn't do anything for me. Problem is, I barely make phone calls so I don't think that's an accurate test for my phone's battery. I leave it at 0% brightness 24/7, WiFi off unless in my apt, Data off unless actively using (or in my apt, I leave it on since I can charge whenever if needed), and I put it in airplane mode whenever there's no signal (ie. underground on the subway). Help???