Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Like my S3 but hate the battery. Should I get a Maxx HD?

I'm the owner of Verizon Galaxy S3. I like the phone but I'm sick of watching the battery wear down with the phone just sitting idle. Disabling data and other services is just a bandaid; no point in having a smartphone then turning off all the stuff that makes it smart. I don't want to have to carry spare batteries just to make it through a normal work day & evening.

I have no interest in a 5+" phone like the Note II.

Should I get myself a Maxx HD instead, or do you think that there will be a significant battery life improvement in the upcoming models (HTC one, S4, etc...)?
    32GB Nexus 5 32GB Nexus 7

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Default Re: Like my S3 but hate the battery. Should I get a Maxx HD?

Google wakelocks that is all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

No, that's not it. I don't need to troubleshoot my battery - the phone and software are working properly. The S3's battery simply doesn't last as long as I need it to given the amount of usage the phone gets.

What I'm basically asking is if current Maxx HD owners would buy again *today* or if they would wait to see what's coming in the next month or two. I don't want to wait longer (3+ months).

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

I promise you that its not lol. Post both graphs.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    I promise you that its not lol. Post both graphs.

If you say so.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Like my S3 but hate the battery. Should I get a Maxx HD?-uploadfromtaptalk1360957088404.jpg   Like my S3 but hate the battery. Should I get a Maxx HD?-uploadfromtaptalk1360957114374.jpg   Like my S3 but hate the battery. Should I get a Maxx HD?-uploadfromtaptalk1360957142955.jpg   Like my S3 but hate the battery. Should I get a Maxx HD?-uploadfromtaptalk1360957156112.jpg   Like my S3 but hate the battery. Should I get a Maxx HD?-uploadfromtaptalk1360957172410.jpg  

VictoriaPa1 likes this.

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

I said graphs plural you're missing the most important one lol. Tap on the graph give me a screenshot of that.

Get a hyperion 4200mah and seidio battery cover.

Like my S3 but hate the battery. Should I get a Maxx HD?-uploadfromtaptalk1360957485605.jpgLike my S3 but hate the battery. Should I get a Maxx HD?-uploadfromtaptalk1360957492943.jpg

Sent via Tapatalk
    Galaxy S3 w/ Hyperion 4200mah and Seidio battery cover & ZeroLemon 7000mah
    VictoriaPa1 likes this.

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

I can already see maps is a problem.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

No, I like to have location reporting turned on.

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

My skyrocket with its 1850mah battery has gone 12 with 7 screen on but again I asked to see the other graph

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I've got a 3800mAh (Q-Cell I think) battery but I hate how big it makes the phone. It's kind of ridiculous.

To answer your question yes I would buy this phone again without hesitation. Its just a good thought knowing your phone will last all day without having to tweak settings and making no adjustments.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I'll attach it first chance I get -- but wont help today (there's doing service on the in-building cell repeaters and signal sucks at the moment, including a 30-45 minute time of signal absence).

But like I said, the phone is working fine... there's no rogue software causing unknown battery drain. Things are set how I like them (Maps and all).
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by gopher500 View Post
    To answer your question yes I would buy this phone again without hesitation. Its just a good thought knowing your phone will last all day without having to tweak settings and making no adjustments.
    Thank you. That's what I'm interested in hearing.
    Darth Spock likes this.

Think there was around 6 hours of screen time when I took that
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Like my S3 but hate the battery. Should I get a Maxx HD?-uploadfromtaptalk1360958670432.jpg  
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by gopher500 View Post
    Think there was around 6 hours of screen time when I took that
    Bingo. I'm sold. Even if the rest of the specs aren't top-top of the line.

Its still plenty fast for what I do, doesn't lag or studder for me. It just works and it does all day and then some

I went through this debate over and over before I finally settled on the Maxx HD. I'm so glad I did. I actually USE the phone and its apps because I'm not worrying about the battery dying. Instead of looking at my battery meter in fear and wondering if I'll be able to make through the afternoon before needing to charge it, I now look at my Maxx HD in awe wondering what DAY I'll need to charge it! IMO, if you have to carry around a spare battery, you've got battery problems.

I see that your battery is at 65% and it appears you've only had the screen on for less than an hour? (13% of 7 hours). I could never go back to that. On NFL championship Sunday, starting with a full charge I tried to wear my battery down. I played games, texted, emailed, read forums, surfed the internet, etc. When I finally went to bed I had over 7 hours screen time (at about 45% brightness) and my battery was holding at 24%.

If you haven't already, go to a Verizon store and play around with the RMHD. Check the signal strength of the networks using the phones internal signal meter (don't simply look at the bars.) Advantage: Maxx HD. Build quality: Maxx HD. I can't think of anything useful that the S3 does better than the RMHD except perhaps camera. Screen appearance is subjective but I might give the nod to the S3.
    Eclipse2K likes this.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by PowrDroid View Post
    I went through this debate over and over before I finally settled on the Maxx HD. I'm so glad I did. I actually USE the phone and its apps because I'm not worrying about the battery dying. Instead of looking at my battery meter in fear and wondering if I'll be able to make through the afternoon before needing to charge it, I now look at my Maxx HD in awe wondering what DAY I'll need to charge it! IMO, if you have to carry around a spare battery, you've got battery problems.

I see that your battery is at 65% and it appears you've only had the screen on for less than an hour? (13% of 7 hours). I could never go back to that. On NFL championship Sunday, starting with a full charge I tried to wear my battery down. I played games, texted, emailed, read forums, surfed the internet, etc. When I finally went to bed I had over 7 hours screen time (at about 45% brightness) and my battery was holding at 24%.

If you haven't already, go to a Verizon store and play around with the RMHD. Check the signal strength of the networks using the phones internal signal meter (don't simply look at the bars.) Advantage: Maxx HD. Build quality: Maxx HD. I can't think of anything useful that the S3 does better than the RMHD except perhaps camera. Screen appearance is subjective but I might give the nod to the S3.
    Thanks.

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

I have the maxx hd now. I had the s3 before and sold it to a buddy. I also tried the note 2, which I loved but not really practical on a day to day basis. I would buy the max hd again. It's the best phone that I have had in a long time. Its not too big but still big enough to browse the web and watch videos and never worry about the battery. It feels solid unlike the Samsung phones I have been using. My only complain would be the camera which is really disappointing since I have two small kids and take a lot of pictures of them. It would be hard to go to a phone without the same battery as the maxx.

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

I got my Maxx HD yesterday and have been 20.5 hours off the charger at this time. My battery is at 33% and screen use is at 48% (about 10 hours). I've done two system updates streamed music and run apps/games nearly every waking hour since I got it yesterday. I couldn't be happier!
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

So I tried to buy the Maxx HD tonight at Best Buy. Their computer system wanted me to answer "security questions" which included stuff like how much my wife's car loan costs, when my house was built, and other personal questions that a) I didn't choose and b) I had no idea of the answer to. So I was prevented from purchasing, despite the fact that I'm the account holder and had proper ID and account PIN number.
    That has never happened when I've bought at Verizon stores and Apple stores.
    Such a pain in the ***. Not sure how I'm going to get this for the Best Buy price (they would have matched Costco's $99).

Ideas?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Maybe try a different Best Buy? I got one last Sunday from them and didn't have to do any of that. And with their online gift card offer from the prior week, it was the same price as Costco (without the case and charger though)

Yeah, definitely try a different best buy. I got my last phone from best buy and I didn't answer any questions. They just checked to see if I was the account holder. Not sure what's going on with the one you went to, but I've never heard of anything like that.

Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums

I'm not even the account holder, and I didn't have to answer any questions, I just needed some info from my account holder.

That sounds really sketchy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast