1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Water Resistance

I've seen many videos of the original Droid Razr and Razr Maxx phones holding up extremely well to water with their 'water-resistant nano-coating', surviving not only splashes as advertised but also complete immersion for long durations. Many video examples can be viewed:
    Immersed ~2 inches for 51s (starts at 0:40)

Immersed 14 inches for 40s (starts at 0:20)

Immersed~2 inches for 20s (starts at 4:43)

Lots more are on YouTube:

The New Droid Razr HD and Maxx HD also advertise this 'water-resistant nano-coating'. My question is: Is this the same technology used in the older Droid Razrs and can the same level of water protection seen in these videos and many others be reasonably expected in these new phones?

Default Re: Water Resistance

Obviously you should never try this at home but as far as I know its the same but only better due to the more rigid design of the HD. Still, resistant is just that and in no way means its ***** proof.

I just can't understand why someone would risk their device by doing this. LOL. Would make me feel better about being out with the snow blower I'll tell you that. Phone in jacket of course but no chance of damage probably. Just don't try those tests yourself!
    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Last edited by Eclipse2K; 02-26-2013 at 02:52 AM.

ROM
    Stock

My experience, not real waterproof. The bottom half of my phone got wet, for a second. Immediately, the touch screen wouldnt take any touch controls, but was still lit, and working. Let it set in the sun for an hour and that recovered, and I shut the phone down.

later that day, got the red ? on the battery symbol, and that was all she wrote. Phone wouldnt take a charge anymore. Everything else worked. Filed an assurion claim. got a new replacement phone.

Problem with these phones is that there is no way to do a battery pull to let it dry. I could force the reboot from the power/vol+/-, but no way to shutdown. Once the display responded, I did do a shutdown, and sealed the phone in rice for a couple days, but by then the damage was done.

Ahhhhhh, the rice trick is a good trick...*grins* BUT sometimes, just not good enough! With as good as Tech is these days...its amazing how finicky it still is!! GRRRR! I wish the droid commando would have been a little bit better on the software side...I stood in the shower with that thing on purpose and never had a single tweak with it...(I guess you could call that immersion testing!!)
    ~ Still Waters Run Deep ~