Feelin real good about RMHD right now

edneum2

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I was just reading http://m.gizmodo.com/5985994/samsun...a> of the next great Android phone. [<a href= about how excited people are for the arrival of the GS IV. then I go on to read about how they think "an upgrade to a 2300 mAh battery would be nice." I'll take my 3300; not a day goes by that I don't appreciate not having ever seen what a low battery indicator looks like on the screen of a DROID RAZR Maxx hd

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Do you still "feel real good" when comparing the display, camera, and sheer power, too?

Seriously this right here. It depends what you're looking for in a phone. I was able to use the RAZR HD Maxx until I used a Note II. On the RAZR the camera quality is terrible, lag in many applications and browsers while running the stock UI, display is terrible and unclear in low light situations with auto brightness set. Sure, battery life is the most important factor but I'm sure the battery being offered will suffice just fine. Heck, my Note II gets over 6 hours of screen time on a single charge and that's with a superior screen in both size and resolution compared to the RAZR HD. I'm sure the new Samsung will be close due to the smaller size.

Nothing wrong with enjoying what you have but don't act as if the phones with smaller batteries won't last all day. You never really notice how bad the RAZR HD display is until you use a true high quality display. I recall standing there with a RAZR HD attempting to take a picture and not only did it take nearly an hour to snap the picture it came out blurry even though it was a still image and I didn't flinch. Not a big picture buff but the RAZR HD could barely take a picture of a check to cash via my bank app without clarity issues.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
@eclipse
For someone who has moved on from this phone, you spend an incredible amount of time badmouthing it. The Note2 is an excellent device, unlike anything else out there. Samsung has done an excellent job with it, and they're going to sell well over 10mm of them.

But the MaxxHD is also unique. No other one handed phone offers the battery life it does. Along with excellent build which means you don't need a case, making it comparatively much smaller than similar devices. The most minimal skin out there, and a very good if not class leading screen. The camera isn't very good, true.

Do other leading phones our there like the SGS3 and iPhone get most people through the day? Yes. But for people who use their phone more and don't want to worry about needing an accessible charger or having a charged replacement battery handy the MaxxHD is unbeatable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
@eclipse
For someone who has moved on from this phone, you spend an incredible amount of time badmouthing it. The Note2 is an excellent device, unlike anything else out there. Samsung has done an excellent job with it, and they're going to sell well over 10mm of them.

But the MaxxHD is also unique. No other one handed phone offers the battery life it does. Along with excellent build which means you don't need a case, making it comparatively much smaller than similar devices. The most minimal skin out there, and a very good if not class leading screen. The camera isn't very good, true.

Do other leading phones our there like the SGS3 and iPhone get most people through the day? Yes. But for people who use their phone more and don't want to worry about needing an accessible charger or having a charged replacement battery handy the MaxxHD is unbeatable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

Contrary to your belief I don't bad mouth the phone. I'm telling my experience with the device which as you know isn't all negative. But fact is Motorola hardware isn't cutting edge nor was it meant to be. This is why its not a iconic device or even a top seller. I've also gone out of my way to help others with issues even though I no longer have this device so its not all bad. There is no reason to be upset with someone who explains the flaws of a device. It helps someone in the fence make an informed decision.

There are issues with every device to be honest. The RAZR Maxx HD is all about battery life and that's about it. That's fine as it does last all day but if you're a power user in terms of web browsing and high memory usage applications than a different device may be for you. If you're just surfing the web here and there and making a lot of phone calls the RAZR Maxx HD is for you. The Pentile screen used does look nice at max brightness but becomes very washed out and blurred sort of speak at lower settings. Sadly, auto brightness hits these low settings thus sort of ruining the usefulness of such feature.

But if it works for you than continue to use it. I'm not telling anyone not to use it if they have one and like it. Just saying nothing is perfect and you sacrifice cutting edge technology for that battery.

Last edited:

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
yea, being able to USE them is a selling point for me

Phones with batteries smaller than 3300mAh are not usable? I don't think sales figures suggest that fact. I'd rather have a cutting edge device that I charge daily rather than a mediocre device that lasts for days. But, to each their own! I quite like the RAZR line, and I'm a big Motorola fan, but a battery is not the be-all end-all of what a smartphone should be, or could be.

EDIT: Mom has the RAZR MAXX, I have the Nexus 4. I average 14hrs up with 3hrs on screen time, and while that's not in the realm of the MAXX lines or the Note 2, it's more than plenty to last me from start to end of my day and I've rarely been inconvenienced by the smaller, 2100mAh battery; I am able to use my device just fine.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Phones with batteries smaller than 3300mAh are not usable? I don't think sales figures suggest that fact. I'd rather have a cutting edge device that I charge daily rather than a mediocre device that lasts for days.

Mediocre, you say. Yes, the camera is mediocre. The display is not mediocre, it's very good. I concede there may be better ones but really, for web surfing, checking emails, SMS, and almost all games, how much 'better' are the other displays except on a stat sheet.

But, to each their own! I quite like the RAZR line, and I'm a big Motorola fan, but a battery is not the be-all end-all of what a smartphone should be, or could be.

Yes, there is also the legendary Motorola radios and build quality.

EDIT: Mom has the RAZR MAXX, I have the Nexus 4. I average 14hrs up with 3hrs on screen time, and while that's not in the realm of the MAXX lines or the Note 2, it's more than plenty to last me from start to end of my day and I've rarely been inconvenienced by the smaller, 2100mAh battery; I am able to use my device just fine.

I couldn't name the last time I used the screen for ONLY 3 hrs a day. More like 5 to 6 per day and sometimes 7 hours.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Mediocre, you say. Yes, the camera is mediocre. The display is not mediocre, it's very good. I concede there may be better ones but really, for web surfing, checking emails, SMS, and almost all games, how much 'better' are the other displays except on a stat sheet.

I couldn't name the last time I used the screen for ONLY 3 hrs a day. More like 5 to 6 per day and sometimes 7 hours.

The display is mediocre in terms of its competition because Pentile displays are not the best. With that said if you don't compare to others its a great display at high brightness settings. If you turn automatic brightness on the display becomes far too grainy in dark environments and this makes surfing the web and watching video a bit tedious. Impossible? No, but not a preference of mine. But to be honest and fair I thought it looked great until I got a higher end device. So I at one time thought it was an awesome display but Ive become accustomed to higher end.

And other phones do last throughout the day with 6 to 7 hours of screen time such as the Note II. But that is because out batteries are close in size but by then the Note is on its last wheel while the RAZR still has juice.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

7 hours a day?! That's almost the entire work day, that's baffling to me. Between grad school and two jobs, 3 is easily plenty, though I plug it in at night with enough to spare to push closer to 4 I'm sure. Motorola does have great build quality and terrific radios, though I absolutely wouldn't say legendary. Again, I've had the RAZR, loved it, good looking display, much sturdier than most my buddies iPhone 4's. But you don't have any idea how much better the competition is until you experience it; the HTC One X+ is, IMHO, the best phone of last year. Even the GS3, while plastic, is a sturdy phone with a substantially better display, camera, and performance (parents have the MAXX HD & GS3, so I compared them side-by-side extensively).

So, sure, if you're new to the smartphone game or haven't shopped around a bit, the RAZR HD MAXX seems pretty great, but it's just outclassed by both Samsung's and HTC's offerings. Again, the RAZR line is mediocre, excelling with battery and call radios but falling very short with camera quality, display (good, not great) and all around performance.

A battery just doesn't do it for me, especially in the days of the GS4, HTC One, Xperia Z, Nexus 4, or Droid DNA. If I were still on Verizon, I'd grab the DNA or GNex before the RAZR HD.

Side note: I am still in absolute awe someone could use 7 hours of on screen time in a single day. I assume phones have to be a big part of your profession...

edneum2

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Phones with batteries smaller than 3300mAh are not usable? I don't think sales figures suggest that fact. I'd rather have a cutting edge device that I charge daily rather than a mediocre device that lasts for days. But, to each their own! I quite like the RAZR line, and I'm a big Motorola fan, but a battery is not the be-all end-all of what a smartphone should be, or could be.

Let me apologize for some assumptions on my part: See when I post in a forum called "Droid Razr Maxx HD", i make the assumption i'm posting to like-minded people, that use a smartphone similar to the way I do, and find certain things of far greater value than the majority of the population.
What is important to me is diverting as little of my daily stress towards my phone as possible, which means leaving my wifi, 4G, GPS, 4-5 widgets, and every notification set to "push", and not ever having the thought "do i need to change this... do i have to turn off that... " if i'm not going to have access to a charger. I charge my phone every night and couldn't care less about whether the phone lasts longer than the time b/w when my head hits the pillow next the charger than never moves; couldn't care less about 'a device lasting for days."
What is also not important to me is admiring the fine details of spaceships in the latest video game release.
But to give credit where credit's due, the username TheLiberarian suggests an uncommon appreciation for good economics and social policy.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
7 hours a day?! That's almost the entire work day, that's baffling to me.

Saturdays and Sundays.

Motorola does have great build quality and terrific radios, though I absolutely wouldn't say legendary.

They invented the first automobile radio and the first portable phone.

But you don't have any idea how much better the competition is until you experience it; the HTC One X+ is, IMHO, the best phone of last year. Even the GS3, while plastic, is a sturdy phone with a substantially better display, camera, and performance (parents have the MAXX HD & GS3, so I compared them side-by-side extensively).

I've never handled the HTC One X so I can't comment. Was intent on buying the GS3 until I shopped them. Didn't like Touch Wiz and plasticky feel, but I understand they are good phones.

So sure, if you're new to the smartphone game or haven't shopped around a bit, the RAZR HD MAXX seems pretty great, but it's just outclassed by both Samsung's and HTC's offerings. Again, the RAZR line is mediocre, excelling with battery and call radios but falling very short with camera quality, display (good, not great) and all around performance.

Not new to smartphones but you're right--battery life was a big factor in my decision.

Side note: I am still in absolute awe someone could use 7 hours of on screen time in a single day. I assume phones have to be a big part of your profession...

I rack up that kind of screen time on weekends when both teenagers are on desktop and laptop. Phone is only way onto internet. I do a lot of crosswords, texting and forum posting. Typical weekday is more like 4-5 hours, mostly after work (like now)

Sent from my Razr Maxx HD

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Seriously this right here. It depends what you're looking for in a phone. I was able to use the RAZR HD Maxx until I used a Note II. On the RAZR the camera quality is terrible, lag in many applications and browsers while running the stock UI, display is terrible and unclear in low light situations with auto brightness set. Sure, battery life is the most important factor but I'm sure the battery being offered will suffice just fine. Heck, my Note II gets over 6 hours of screen time on a single charge and that's with a superior screen in both size and resolution compared to the RAZR HD. I'm sure the new Samsung will be close due to the smaller size.

Nothing wrong with enjoying what you have but don't act as if the phones with smaller batteries won't last all day. You never really notice how bad the RAZR HD display is until you use a true high quality display. I recall standing there with a RAZR HD attempting to take a picture and not only did it take nearly an hour to snap the picture it came out blurry even though it was a still image and I didn't flinch. Not a big picture buff but the RAZR HD could barely take a picture of a check to cash via my bank app without clarity issues.

ROFL...seriously it took you an hour to snap a picture? Too funny.

The note 2 is ridiculously oversized and suffers from the same cheap build quality as the rest of the Samsungs. Pass.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
7 hours a day?! That's almost the entire work day, that's baffling to me. Between grad school and two jobs, 3 is easily plenty, though I plug it in at night with enough to spare to push closer to 4 I'm sure. Motorola does have great build quality and terrific radios, though I absolutely wouldn't say legendary. Again, I've had the RAZR, loved it, good looking display, much sturdier than most my buddies iPhone 4's. But you don't have any idea how much better the competition is until you experience it; the HTC One X+ is, IMHO, the best phone of last year. Even the GS3, while plastic, is a sturdy phone with a substantially better display, camera, and performance (parents have the MAXX HD & GS3, so I compared them side-by-side extensively).

So, sure, if you're new to the smartphone game or haven't shopped around a bit, the RAZR HD MAXX seems pretty great, but it's just outclassed by both Samsung's and HTC's offerings. Again, the RAZR line is mediocre, excelling with battery and call radios but falling very short with camera quality, display (good, not great) and all around performance.

A battery just doesn't do it for me, especially in the days of the GS4, HTC One, Xperia Z, Nexus 4, or Droid DNA. If I were still on Verizon, I'd grab the DNA or GNex before the RAZR HD.

I had the OG HTC Droid Incredible, great phone. Waited forever for HTC to come out with another phone worth getting. Never happened. The DNA is a joke....16gig non-expandable storage (11g usable) and 2020 mah non-removable battery? It's laughable. That's when I jumped ship to RMHD and never looked back. Best android phone on the market right now.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
ROFL...seriously it took you an hour to snap a picture? Too funny.

The note 2 is ridiculously oversized and suffers from the same cheap build quality as the rest of the Samsungs. Pass.

Obviously I'm exaggerating but the camera is slow. And while Motorola has superior build quality the Note II isn't too big for many of us. Remember people have different expectations and preferences so its no surprise we prefer different devices. I wish I could have a Note II with the materials of a RAZR HD but in the phone world I'll take performance over Kevlar backing as long as its not bad. Samsung devices have an excellent build "quality". Its stable, tough, Gorilla Glass like the RAZR, etc. The materials are plastic which is a building material issue. The phone doesn't fall apart so its built well. The main issue is the battery cover and that's it.

Dont go and feel I'm a RAZR basher as I'm not. I have my preference and loved the design of the device. I just wanted bigger and faster.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Do you still "feel real good" when comparing the display, camera, and sheer power, too?

I know I still do:) Why do people care so much about a camera in a smart phone? This is not a camera, it's a communications device. I have an HD screen for God sake. People that want more are just nuts or spoiled. And Powerful? What exactly are you doing on a phone that requires so much processor? The true power is the piece of mind that you can go all day doing the things you need to do. That's power and we've got it.

Sent using the amazing RAZR Maxx HD

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I know I still do:) Why do people care so much about a camera in a smart phone? This is not a camera, it's a communications device. I have an HD screen for God sake. People that want more are just nuts or spoiled. And Powerful? What exactly are you doing on a phone that requires so much processor? The true power is the piece of mind that you can go all day doing the things you need to do. That's power and we've got it.

Depends if you want to play games and such. I see where you're coming from and respect that. I like the newest technology and I want the best. I'm a Honda fan but I wanted a higher end so I bought an Acura. I bought an LED TV so I bought a high end Samsung. I wanted a top of the line PC so I spent $2000+ building one. Some of us are just insane with technology and want the newest whether we use it all or not. I mainly surf the web and text but I will say the big screen is the big selling point. I could have stuck with a RAZR if the screen was big enough. I sold my tablet and have an all in one device and for me that's perfect. Every creak I hear though makes me miss my RAZR a bit though heh.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

People have different interests. I care about a camera because it's far more convenient to have a phone for pictures that dragging around some silly point-and-shoot. Is that concept so difficult to understand? I understand the allure of a 3300mAh battery, but I'm surprised in this day and age you're confused as to why people are so interested in cell phone cameras. There's a reason cameras are getting so good: consumer demand.

And yes, powerful. I am doing everything from text messaging to gaming, or playing HD video. While many, many phones can accomplish those simple tasks, some do it better than others. My device is impossibly fluid, the likes of which I've only seen a a select few devices (not a RAZR, haha). Even if I used a smartphone solely for phone calls and emails I would want it to run beautifully. Just because my phone has the capability of doing more does not mean I'm always using said capability.

Lastly, by your standards, there are many phones that offer "true power" as many phones make it throughout the day ;-) I know I have peace of mind!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty