Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Becky Biks
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Unhappy ??? how to downgrade from JB to ICS

Hello, I am a new user to Android (I still miss my Blackberry keyboard terribly!).
    I've had my Razr Maxx HD for a couple months, and just upgraded to Jelly Bean. I really do not care for it, the Google Now is driving me insane. Even though I have it turned off in the settings, I somehow mistakenly swipe the home key and the keyboard and search page pop up at the most inopportune times.

I really want to return to ICS, but after reading so many forums I'm more confused than ever. Can I return to ICS 4.0.4?? Will doing a factory reset do it? My phone is not rooted and I'll admit doing that scares me. I'm just not technical enough!!

I could live with no speed dial, if I could get rid of that Google Now totally. I feel like Google has taken over my life!

Global Posts
    1,124 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Default Re: ??? how to downgrade from JB to ICS

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine98 View Post
    Hello, I am a new user to Android (I still miss my Blackberry keyboard terribly!).
    I've had my Razr Maxx HD for a couple months, and just upgraded to Jelly Bean. I really do not care for it, the Google Now is driving me insane. Even though I have it turned off in the settings, I somehow mistakenly swipe the home key and the keyboard and search page pop up at the most inopportune times.

I really want to return to ICS, but after reading so many forums I'm more confused than ever. Can I return to ICS 4.0.4?? Will doing a factory reset do it? My phone is not rooted and I'll admit doing that scares me. I'm just not technical enough!!

I could live with no speed dial, if I could get rid of that Google Now totally. I feel like Google has taken over my life!
    Nothing you can do. You have JB and there's no return to ICS.
    If my post helped you out...please be kind and hit the "THANKS BUTTON."
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Are you sure? I see so many different opinions, I don't know what to think. Also, what happens when I return it to factory out-of-the-box- state?? Thanks
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

Are you sure? I see so many different opinions, I don't know what to think. Also, what happens when I return it to factory out-of-the-box- state?? Thanks
    Once you perform a system update to a new operating system (i.e. from ICS to Jellybean), you have changed the system files, so if you perform a "factory reset" there is nothing to revert back to. Performing a factory reset at that point will only clear your data and restore the phone to as if it was originally a Jellybean phone that you bought. The only way you can put ICS back on your phone is to root it and find an old system ROM (Read-Only-Memory) image of ICS. This is not a trivial matter if you don't know what you're doing. Making a mistake will "brick" your phone, rendering it useless.

If you're determined to put ICS back on your phone, then you'll have to learn about rooting, recovery, boot-loaders, and flashing custom ROMs. Google doesn't publish older images of Android (that I know of), but you can probably find links to one on the XDA Developer Forums (or even the Rooting/ROM forums here at Android Central), along with instructions on how to do rooting and ROMing. Be aware, the instructions vary from device to device. Instructions for one device may cause extensive damage for another. Same goes for the particular ROM you may pick. Be sure to pick one that is specifically designed for your phone model/carrier, or you'll be sorry.

My advice... learn to live with Jellybean.
    --Inspector Gadget

Palm OS:Palm V / Palm IIIc / Visor Prism / Visor Phone / Treo 270 / Treo 600 / Treo 650
    Windows Mobile: Treo 700wx / HTC Touch Diamond
    WebOS: Palm Pre
    Android: HTC EVO 4G / HTC EVO 3D / Motorola Xoom / My Daily Drivers: Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 / Nexus 5

I don't understand all the hating on Google Now. I love it. I was visiting family out of town last week and needed to pick up my son at the airport, who was joining us. One tap and I spoke, "Virgin America flight xxx," to which the phone responded by reciting the current ETA and suggestion when I should leave for the airport! Up pops a card with driving instructions should I need them (Google Now knew I was out of town). No telling it from what city it originated or what city it was flying to. No telling it I was interested in arrival time. All of that was assumed by Google Now because of my location. Compare that with getting the information from the airline's site.

I was cooking from a European recipe. It's so convenient to speak to the phone, "how many cups is twelve hundred milliliters," and get an instant verbal response.

The Navigation "lady" in JB is so much more natural sounding that I use it even if I know where I'm going, just to marvel at the subtle ways the intonation changes as she speaks. It's a real carpool pleaser.

I'm constantly talking to my phone. Learning to avoid the swipe that brings it up just involves a little retraining. I think JB is a joy.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Insp Gadget, thanks so much for your reply. So much more insightful answer than I have been receiving. I guess I'm gonna have to live with JB. I came from Blackberry Bold and really miss some of it's features, then I finally got used to ICS, and then it changed to JB and l lost more features that I had learned to like. Too many changes for this old lady!

It's not that I hate JB per se, it's the Google Now that's driving me crazy popping up all the time, no speed dial, Docs to Go not working properly anymore, general lagginess, etc.

Will I always have to keep upgrading when Google puts out a new version??

Again, thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

Insp Gadget, thanks so much for your reply. So much more insightful answer than I have been receiving. I guess I'm gonna have to live with JB. I came from Blackberry Bold and really miss some of it's features, then I finally got used to ICS, and then it changed to JB and l lost more features that I had learned to like. Too many changes for this old lady!

It's not that I hate JB per se, it's the Google Now that's driving me crazy popping up all the time, no speed dial, Docs to Go not working properly anymore, general lagginess, etc.

Will I always have to keep upgrading when Google puts out a new version??

Again, thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I can appreciate your frustration with regard to the differences between Android and Blackberry. Also, the relatively rapid advancement/upgrades within the Android ecosystem can make keeping up with the changes a bit daunting as well. I've never used a RAZR MAXX HD, so I can't comment on how easy or hard it is to accidentally activate Google Now on that device. I've never had that happen on my Galaxy Nexus. You could try running an alternative launcher. Perhaps that will allow you to alter the launching shortcut to Google Now.

I am curious as to which features you lost when moving from ICS to JB. Perhaps the community can point out some helpful alternatives or show you how to access those features under JB. The nice thing about Android is that whatever feature you might have grown attached to under a particular version of Android (or Motoblur, in the case of Motorola devices), there is usually a way to obtain a (usually enhanced) version of that feature via a 3rd-party app from the Google Play store, at no or minimal cost.

As for Docs to Go, I abandoned that product the moment it was purchased by Research In Motion (Blackberry) because I knew it wouldn't receive the proper support for Android and other platforms once RIM got their hands on it. Tech companies often buy products with the sole intention of burying the acquired product for competitive reasons. I can't say for sure that this was Blackberry's motive in acquiring DTG, but...well, the state of the app speaks louder than I possibly could. Fortunately, there are other (and some think better) office apps available for Android.

When Google puts out a new version of Android, there are several things that could potentially require some changes in the way you have to interact with your phone. Keep in mind, however, that if you are using anything but a "pure Android" device (i.e. a Nexus or a device with a plain vanilla image of Android), that the changes you experience may not even be a result of Google's changes as much as they are changes that Motorola may have implemented. The original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) often make significant changes to the user interface and features after Google releases an Android update. The OEM's customizations to Android (i.e. HTC's Sense, Samsung's TouchWiz, and Motorola's Motoblur) do provide some extra and value-added features, but they also slow down the update process for their respective phones, and add a layer of complexity when determining the cause of a problem. It's often hard for people that haven't used plain vanilla Android to know which features were added by their OEM versus what was added by Google. Regardless, the OS updates are a "necessary evil" in the advancement of the platform.

Keep in mind, too, that the RAZR MAXX HD is only running Android Jellybean 4.1.1. There are significant improvements in Android Jellybean 4.2.2. Whether the RAZR MAXX HD ever sees an official update to 4.2.2 is anyone's guess. (Again, a result of OEM customization and carrier delays.) Of course, the great thing about Android is that if you don't like something, you can often change it... if you're willing to go far enough.
    --Inspector Gadget

Palm OS:Palm V / Palm IIIc / Visor Prism / Visor Phone / Treo 270 / Treo 600 / Treo 650
    Android: HTC EVO 4G / HTC EVO 3D / Motorola Xoom / My Daily Drivers: Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 / Nexus 5

You can turn Google Now off if you don't like it.
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

...and just upgraded to Jelly Bean. I really do not care for it, the Google Now is driving me insane. Even though I have it turned off in the settings, I somehow mistakenly swipe the home key and the keyboard and search page pop up at the most inopportune times...
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ Jones View Post
    You can turn Google Now off if you don't like it.
    JJ, I think she already knows and has done that.
    --Inspector Gadget

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Thanks again for all your insights. I'm just going to have to let go of my love for my old Blackberry. If it hadn't been for the impossibly slow internet connection I wouldn't have left. I didn't realize about that about RIM and Docs To Go, you're right, it worked totally different on the BB vs. my Android.
    I really miss the speed dial. I'm always fumbling for my reading glasses now. It just seems like there are more steps to do everything in Android. Sorry for the rant, like my son says, I've just gotta get over myself, and move on!

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9 on Kindle

As far as Docs to Go is concerned, have you considered trying Google Drive? I realize it isn't fully featured, but it has met all of my needs for doing simple word or spreadsheet stuff on a phone.

Also I don't know what you mean exactly by speed dial. Is that something from blackberry? I confess I don't remember a lot from when I had mine, since it was four or five years ago now. I do know of a couple ways to dial contacts pretty quickly though. In your phone app there is a tab called Favorites that lists the people you call most often, so instead of scrolling through a big list of all your contacts you would only have to look at a much smaller list where your contact is most likely close to the top already.
    The other way I know of for being able to call someone quickly is to set a direct dial widget for that persons' contact on one of your homescreens. This way all you would have to do is tap the widget, and it will launch the call.

Quote Originally Posted by aspeo View Post
    As far as Docs to Go is concerned, have you considered trying Google Drive? I realize it isn't fully featured, but it has met all of my needs for doing simple word or spreadsheet stuff on a phone.

Also I don't know what you mean exactly by speed dial. Is that something from blackberry? I confess I don't remember a lot from when I had mine, since it was four or five years ago now. I do know of a couple ways to dial contacts pretty quickly though. In your phone app there is a tab called Favorites that lists the people you call most often, so instead of scrolling through a big list of all your contacts you would only have to look at a much smaller list where your contact is most likely close to the top already.
    The other way I know of for being able to call someone quickly is to set a direct dial widget for that persons' contact on one of your homescreens. This way all you would have to do is tap the widget, and it will launch the call.
    Speed dial is the ability to long press a number key in the dialer and have it dial a pre-configured number. This was in ICS but removed in JB.

You can replace it with a folder of direct-dial widgets on your home screen. One tap on the folder and a second on the widget is the same two taps that speed dial took. I don't know why they removed it but the direct dial widgets aren't a bad way. I have the two that I call most on my main screen (not in a folder) and my speed dial for them is one tap, not two.

Well, you can always replace the native dialer with another one. Id recommend the Rocket Dialer, it has pretty much all the features youre looking for.

I own a Razr i (XT890) and im also looking for a downgrade to ICS, simply because my device is too unstable with JB.

It was fine with ICS and i had NEVER rebooted it for any reason whatsoever, but now its just a mess, player pro freezes, MX player freezes, so frustrating.

I too HATE JellyBean. when i upgraded the first i couldnt believe all the stuff i lost. this is just a list of the stuff i actually use and noticed.
    Adobe- they dont support any more with the new up grade so i cant open any attachments.
    StickyNotes- had to find an app to download cause those were gone.
    Music Player- had to down load a new app with is the same as the "play music" one at but the other music player i preferred more.
    SpeedDial- i used that constantly now i have to have my contacts as "direct dial" on my main screen.
    WiFi- They apparently dont support my model home WiFi router anymore that was awesome to find out.
    Weather Widget- its stupid and not that big of a deal but it was something that i liked and kept on my main screen because it was so simple and now its gone. and the new one i downloaded sucks because it constantly says the temp and "sunny" or "mostly cloudy" across the top and i always think its messages.

then to top it off as the original post said i feel absolutly bombarded by google! just frustrating losting all that stuff i use all that time have to find crappy apps to replace them and the daily aggrivation of not being able to open any documents because they dont support Adobe anymore is just the icing on the cake.
    lovemyspanish likes this.
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

What phone do you have, Becky?
    --Inspector Gadget

You can use Direct Dial widgets instead of Speed dial. I find it very convenient. Go to the app drawer and then to the widgets, long tap on Direct Dial, drop it on the home screen and finally pick the contact you want for that DD widget.

You can add as many as you want and if you drop one on top of the other than you can create a folder that has as many as 16 direct dial widgets in it. I find it a little easier than speed dial. It is still only 2 taps to call someone and no need to grab your glasses! Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The Droid Razr
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Biks View Post
    The Droid Razr
    Your comment that you can't open any Adobe attachments... I assume you're talking about PDF files? I'm running Jellybean and can open them fine. Do you have a PDF viewer app installed?
    --Inspector Gadget