1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Default WiFi active even when turned off? Should I be concerned?

I have been having problems with battery life since I got this phone. The past few weeks, I've been really trying hard to figure out why I'm not getting the awesome battery life that everyone else is getting with the RMHD. Yesterday (and again today), I noticed something in the battery section of settings. When I click on the battery graph and it shows you the graph above "activity" for Mobile Network signal, WiFi, Awake, etc...there's areas under WiFi that seem to say that I had it on at various times. Problem is, WiFi was turned off during that whole period when I was at work so it shouldn't show any activity. Could this be an issue related to my poor battery life? Of note, on the main battery screen, WiFi is not listed as one of the larger "uses" of my battery (Screen and Android OS are by far the most...WiFi is ranked 7th in battery usage right now).

Default Re: WiFi active even when turned off? Should I be concerned?

I have noticed the same thing. I disable WiFi while I am at work, but it still shows activity. Hopefully someone will know why this happens.

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

Do you have any smart actions enabled? Also, do you have the option turned off to notify you if WiFi is available? If not, the radio will still be seeking a connection even if WiFi is off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

None of the smart actions I have enabled should affect WiFi at all, so that shouldn't be affecting anything. I do have the "Notify Me" option enabled, however, I've only seen that actually work when I have WiFi turned on. For instance, if I leave my WiFi and forget to turn WiFi off, I will get a notification that WiFi is available if I try to use the internet. However, if I have my data on and WiFi off (as I do at work), I never get that notification...so I don't think it searches for WiFi if you have it turned off, even when you have that option enabled.

But just to make sure in case you're right, I just turned that option off. I'll see what happens over the next few days.

I had the same problem on my Razr M. Disable Motorola Location services under Smart Actions and this should stop the Wifi from being given used

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by uscsailor View Post
    I had the same problem on my Razr M. Disable Motorola Location services under Smart Actions and this should stop the Wifi from being given used

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
    Ah. Thanks. That makes more sense, since it specifically says it uses wifi to determine location EVEN when wifi is disabled. I've got to think that was the reason for this, as I do have one location-based smart action.