Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By whoover
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question How to make phone not connect to neighbors network extender?

How do I do this? If I am on one side of house my phone will connect to it and drop the call I am on if I go to other side of house.

I have good enough reception that I don't want to connect to their extender.

Default Re: How to make phone not connect to neighbors network extender?

There is no way to lock those things down by password? I'm not familiar with Verizon's network extenders but I would think they are similar to a wireless router where they are password protected by option. No password/network passkey, no connect.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Oh boy.

There's no password on their network extender?? That's crazy. I would have some fun with that! Lol.

Has this always happened, or only recently? Any apps you've installed that could have caused this?

If all else fails, you could try this:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by pegs520 View Post
    Oh boy.

There's no password on their network extender?? That's crazy. I would have some fun with that! Lol.

Has this always happened, or only recently? Any apps you've installed that could have caused this?

If all else fails, you could try this:
    The link you provided is for wifi networks.....I'm trying figure out how to not connect to a neighbor's Verizon network extender for phone calls.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    There is no way to lock those things down by password? I'm not familiar with Verizon's network extenders but I would think they are similar to a wireless router where they are password protected by option. No password/network passkey, no connect.
    I don't know much about them either but if there is security settings this person obviously doesn't have them turned on.

Quote Originally Posted by troyinne View Post
    I don't know much about them either but if there is security settings this person obviously doesn't have them turned on.
    Well you could be the good & honest neighbor and clue them into having an open extender.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Well you could be the good & honest neighbor and clue them into having an open extender.
    It's not like wifi. It just acts like a tower. The phone determines what account is being billed, not the network extender. That's why there's no concept of only allowing certain phones to access it.

It does have a config that allows the owner to enter priority numbers, and they take get first dibs on the bandwidth. But if priority callers are not using up its bandwidth, anybody can use it. But the native account gets billed, not the extender's owner.

It's supposed to hand off calls to a regular tower. You shouldn't disconnect when you move. That probably means you've moved into a dead zone.
    Thanked by:
    androidluvr2 likes this.

I have a network extender. EVERY time I am on a business call and get about a block away the call drops. I would also like to know if theres a way to lock it down. My neighbors dont connect to it. But i get amazing battery life if I am around the house alot. I assume its because my phone doesnt search for a signal constantly.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I contacted Verizon and their solution was to find the neighbor that has it and ask them to enable the password protection.

It's not so much the hand off of calls as it is the poor quality of calls when I'm on it as I must be on the fringe of it's range.

I contacted Verizon and their solution was to find the neighbor that has it and ask them to enable the password protection.
    I have a network extender and I was told by Verizon that I could not do anything to prevent a neighbor from connecting to my network extender.

Verizon can turn down the signal strength of your neighbor's network extender so it doesn't reach your house unless it is already as low as it will go.
    I voided my warranty.

If I am on one side of house my phone will connect to it and drop the call I am on if I go to other side of house.
    First off, if your neighbor's network extender is set to the signal strength it shipped with, theoretically you need to be within 15 feet of the device to connect to it initially. That is called the network extender's cage. I can tell you that in my experience, my neighbors can connect to mine farther away than 15 feet.

Now once connected, the range of the device is farther than 15 feet by alot, but the exact range is dependent on the structures that the signal has to go through so no one can tell you exactly what the range of your neighbor's extender is unless they come and measure it. And even when you get out of range, what happens is that the network extender is supposed to make a hand off to a cell tower without dropping the call that is if there is a cell tower signal strong enough to hand off to.

All of this indicates to me that you shouldn't be dropping calls walking from one side of your house to the other unless the cell signal is so poor on the other side of your house that the network extender has nothing to hand off to as you exit its range. If so, you would have dropped that call regardless of the network extender's presence since even if there were no network extender, there is not a strong enough cell signal on that side of your house to maintain a call.

What I suspect is happening is that your neighbors can tell you are connected to their network extender because the WAN light flickers when someone is making a call through the network extender and they are purposefully cutting you off by removing the cable from the network extender to their router or cutting power to the network extender. Now THAT will make you drop a call because the network extender is immediately cut off and can't make a hand off to a cell tower.

Bottom line is this - there is no way to password protect a network extender because there is no way for these phones to give a password to the network extender given how they are designed. And remember even if they could put that feature in a smartphone, if existing phones can't do it, then Verizon can't allow it. This is because any cell phone within the cage of the network extender (which in my experience is more than 15 feet) gets overwhelmed by the network extender's strong signal and can't sense a cell tower signal because of it and then preferentially connects to it. That is how you connect to the network extender in the first place. So if they required a password protection, they would be rendering existing phones and basic phones useless within the cage of the network extender because they can't give a password to the network extender.

All you can do is ask Verizon to turn down the signal power on your neighbor's network extender so you won't connect to it. They can do it unless your neighbor's network extender's signal strength is already as low as it goes.

You need to get tech support on the line and they need to put through a network trouble ticket on your behalf for this to occur. Regular customer service reps can't do it. Get to tech support and tell them what is happening and get them to submit a trouble ticket to the network department. Keep calling until you get results. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.
    I voided my warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by androidluvr2 View Post
    I have a network extender and I was told by Verizon that I could not do anything to prevent a neighbor from connecting to my network extender.
    Double checked with Verizon - there is no way to password protect or otherwise prevent your neighbor from connecting to your network extender. IOW, your neighbors can do nothing to prevent you from connecting to their network extender. But what they can do is once you are connected, force you off of their network extender by cutting power to the network extender or cutting its connection to their router. That will cause you to drop a call.

The only solution I can think of if that is what is going on is for you to have Verizon turn down the signal strength of their network extender if possible so you won't connect to it in the first place.
    Last edited by androidluvr2; 04-14-2013 at 08:25 PM.
    I voided my warranty.

There is no way to lock those things down by password?
    No because when using cellular connection, the phones don't have the ability to give a password to the network extender. A phone connects to the network extender the same way it connects to the verizon cell tower. It authenticates to the CDMA network. Thus, any active Verizon phone within the cage of the network extender will connect to it just like it connects to a cell tower.
    I voided my warranty.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    That probably means you've moved into a dead zone.
    Or his neighbors are cutting him off when they see the WAN light flickering on their network extender.
    I voided my warranty.

Also, I just found this review of the network extender I own, and these reviewers were able to connect to the network extender from 50 feet away. I can tell you my neighbors are at least 30 feet from mine and they can connect to it. The theoretical range is 5,000 square foot, so you should stay connected to it for at least 70 feet from it in theory. In my experience, I stay connected to mine for at least 100 feet away from it.

There is an older model with different specs, but this is the current model.
    I voided my warranty.

It's not so much the hand off of calls as it is the poor quality of calls when I'm on it as I must be on the fringe of it's range.
    That is surprising to me since my call quality is improved on my network extender.

If you are on the fringe of the range, you wouldn't be connecting to it in the first place. You have to be within the cage to connect to it as I explained in my other posts. The range far exceeds the cage. The cage of my network extender appears to be 30 feet and the range 100 feet, although both of those are more than the theoretical specs indicate that they should be. The call quality is excellent throughout the range of my network extender. Much better in fact than when I turn off the network extender and connect to a tower.

Have you tried dialing #48 to confirm you are connected to their network extender?
    I voided my warranty.