I'm heading to Italy in June and am trying to figure out an international data plan as Verizon's are crazy expensive. I see you can get SIM cards from Vodafone or TIM at very reasonable rates - ~5 euro/500MB.

It says the phone has to be unlocked to be able to use their SIM cards. How do I go about unlocking my phone? Has anyone done this whole process? Is it easy?

Thanks
    04-23-2013 11:30 PM
    Just found this post. Makes it sound not too hard. Hopefully its ok to link to another forum...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/htc...rld-phone.html
    04-23-2013 11:33 PM
    Just found this post. Makes it sound not too hard. Hopefully its ok to link to another forum...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/htc...rld-phone.html
    Those instructions don't apply to this phone, which is GSM unlocked. It should work with non-US carrier SIMs as long as it is set up on a Verizon account. Just make sure you change the mobile network setting from CDMA to GSM. And don't try it with a US-carrier SIM, like AT&T.
    Droid RAZR HD / RAZR Maxx HD (XT926) were GSM unlocked, but no AT&T and T-Mobile | AndroMods
    04-29-2013 04:33 PM
    Ah. thanks for the info! Do you know of the RAZR MAXX is the same way? My dad has that phone and is going as well.

Now I just need to sort out the logistics of getting a SIM card that does both France and Italy. I'd like to get it before I go so it works when I get there. And then make sure Verizon doesn't some how screw me when I return and take me out of my unlimited data plan like they did last time.

Does Verizon care that you are using another sim for 2 week or so? Or do they even know? Or from their end, since their SIM card isn't in the phone, is it just like the phone is turned off for 2 weeks?
    04-29-2013 05:21 PM
    Ah. thanks for the info! Do you know of the RAZR MAXX is the same way? My dad has that phone and is going as well.

Now I just need to sort out the logistics of getting a SIM card that does both France and Italy. I'd like to get it before I go so it works when I get there. And then make sure Verizon doesn't some how screw me when I return and take me out of my unlimited data plan like they did last time.

Does Verizon care that you are using another sim for 2 week or so? Or do they even know? Or from their end, since their SIM card isn't in the phone, is it just like the phone is turned off for 2 weeks?
    They don't really care; in any case it's perfectly legal. They unlocked the GSM for that reason. Cheapest SIMs are usually found in the county. There's usually a kiosk at the airport. They will help you get it working. If you have to change when you cross a border it's not a big deal. But they will advise. Europeans do this all the time. Pretty sure the older MAXX is SIM unlocked, but I don't know for sure. Verizon can tell you.
    04-29-2013 08:22 PM