Need help with a Micro SD card. Got corrupted in my phone.

MattCharles

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
So I am sure I am not the only who has gone through this issue. I have the Stupid DROID Razr Maxx HD phone from Verizon wireless. This phone is more hype than it really is. It broke only a month in a half use! With it breaking I had all my pictures and videos on my Micro SD 32 gb card. I was about to upload everything to my computer through the USB port when I plugged my phone in. I get an error message on my phone and then it says it cannot read my Micro SD card.
Now when I even plug my SD card in any adapter or even a Scan Disk Adapter, it will not read.
I did go to this jerky computer shop by my house and it read on his reader in the SCHC Adapter but he said that there was no information on it. I told him of course there isn?t know information on the card because it was corrupted. You need to use a backup software to get my pictures and videos. (I only want my pictures and videos back.) The guy was a complete jerk and didn?t know what he was doing. So thankfully I got the card back unharmed.
Now I need to find away to make the Micro SC card work and read so I can back up my stuff. Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction? Thank you in advance!

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
The card might very well be corrupted and yes I have seen this many times. You might actually need to call the company who's card it is if it is a well known company and either ask them how you can retrieve what you want off of it or for a small fee they might have you send it in for them to do it if it is worth it to you.

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like you're hosed. BTW, make sure your card is properly inserted in the phone next time. I'm not saying it wasn't, but improper insertion is easy to do and will corrupt the card. The card must be inserted in its slot until it clicks (use a fingernail). DON'T just lay it on the carrier like the SIM. Many SD cards have died because that's not obvious unless you read the manual, which they don't give you.

Symptoms of an improperly inserted card (before it fries) are the SIM carrier not sitting flush with the body, and getting notifications that the SD card is connecting at random times.

MattCharles

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
The card might very well be corrupted and yes I have seen this many times. You might actually need to call the company who's card it is if it is a well known company and either ask them how you can retrieve what you want off of it or for a small fee they might have you send it in for them to do it if it is worth it to you.
I tried, they said there was nothing they could do. :( It was a Samsung Micro SD Card.

It sounds like you're hosed. BTW, make sure your card is properly inserted in the phone next time. I'm not saying it wasn't, but improper insertion is easy to do and will corrupt the card. The card must be inserted in its slot until it clicks (use a fingernail). DON'T just lay it on the carrier like the SIM. Many SD cards have died because that's not obvious unless you read the manual, which they don't give you.

Symptoms of an improperly inserted card (before it fries) are the SIM carrier not sitting flush with the body, and getting notifications that the SD card is connecting at random times.
I did put it in wrong in the beginning. Then I fixed it, but then I guess it was too late? :(
So I won't be able to get anything back from my card? Is there any tricks I can do like put it in water or something?

I have three pictures on there of my cousin who passed away this Friday and I really want them. He deleted them from his phone too.
Ughh, this stinks! :(

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I tried, they said there was nothing they could do. :( It was a Samsung Micro SD Card.

I did put it in wrong in the beginning. Then I fixed it, but then I guess it was too late? :(
So I won't be able to get anything back from my card? Is there any tricks I can do like put it in water or something?

I have three pictures on there of my cousin who passed away this Friday and I really want them. He deleted them from his phone too.
Accept for as I had said about contacting to maker of the card if they are in the USA and sending to them, Some of them will try and retrieve the info. Otherwise i am afraid you are stuck. You have to Mount or format the card before you use the phone by installing it right away so it gets a USB connection by the phone scanning for it's contents.

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

No good news, I'm afraid. When the card is improperly installed, because the contacts are so close together, you wind up putting power on a data line which pretty much wipes the card.

DevilInPgh

May 12, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like you're hosed. BTW, make sure your card is properly inserted in the phone next time. I'm not saying it wasn't, but improper insertion is easy to do and will corrupt the card. The card must be inserted in its slot until it clicks (use a fingernail).

No, DON'T USE a fingernail. I tried this, and the SD card didn't click (which is why it was no wonder the card kept getting unsafely unmounted). Use the broad back side of the tool that came with your phone to securely insert the card until it clicks.

MattCharles

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
So I lost all my pictures? :(
There is no way to try and get the card to read again and then use a program to scan it? :(

I really need my pictures!

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
So I lost all my pictures? :(
There is no way to try and get the card to read again and then use a program to scan it? :(

I really need my pictures!

Don't attempt anything else with the card.
If the card still behaves in a reader but says it's empty these is possible software to recover.
TestDisk - CGSecurity

This is by far the best recovery software on the market and it is open sources and runs on Mac/Windows/Linux.
It's a brute force no holds barred way to get your data and you need to be a bit computer savvy.
It mounts the SD card or drive, read only as to not damage it any further.
That being said, if this software won't get it, nothing will.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Don't attempt anything else with the card.
If the card still behaves in a reader but says it's empty these is possible software to recover.
TestDisk - CGSecurity

This is by far the best recovery software on the market and it is open sources and runs on Mac/Windows/Linux.
It's a brute force no holds barred way to get your data and you need to be a bit computer savvy.
It mounts the SD card or drive, read only as to not damage it any further.
That being said, if this software won't get it, nothing will.

It is the best.
I've used it to recover a card like the OP.
Got about 80% of the stuff back which was good enough.

BTW- I haven't had any issued with a 64GB Sandisk card from Amazon.
I did completely fry one in my Razr Maxx though.

Somdk

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
It is the best.
I've used it to recover a card like the OP.
Got about 80% of the stuff back which was good enough.

BTW- I haven't had any issued with a 64GB Sandisk card from Amazon.
I did completely fry one in my Razr Maxx though.

When this same thing had happened with me, god's grace, i had around 390 pics and 10 vids, got back all of them, just 3 pics got partially damaged.

I hope Charles gets his back :)

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
My 32GB card is years old. I moved it from my Droid X to this phone.

Most failures seem to be due to improper installation. Make sure the card clicks into place in its slot. Just laying it on the SIM carrier and installing the carrier is certain to fry the card.

jjs3381

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I have hundreds of pics on my micro sd card in my phone ( samsung galaxy sII), but today when i went to look at them my card would nit read. What can i do to recover them?

Somdk

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I have hundreds of pics on my micro sd card in my phone ( samsung galaxy sII), but today when i went to look at them my card would nit read. What can i do to recover them?

Hi there,

I did the following,

Try restarting your handset with the sd. See if it is readable or not. If asked to format - BACK out of it.

Also try inserting the sd card on another mobile and see if the readable or not. If you have a sd card adaptor you can try that as well.

Have your tried these ?
What did you notice ?

It really depends on what really has happened to your sd card.

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Most important, make sure you're inserting the card into the phone correctly. Make certain it clicks into place before reinstalling the SIM carrier. Improper installation is the most common reason the phone can't read the card, or even damages it.

Somdk

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
In my experience, there are two kinds of data loss from SD card. The first is spoken about in this article, and can be solved using software. However, my problem was that my card could not be read by any software, it just said 'unknown device'.

If you have this problem, then the only company I know of who can solve it are called Recoverfab who are based in Germany. What they do is to actually open up the SD card and solder the memory chips onto another form of reader in order to read the data. This gets around the problem of the faulty controller. They then save the files from the memory chips and send it to you via FTP or via a DVD. Understandably, it's more expensive than just a software based recovery, but they got back many photos that are very precious to me when I thought the situation was lost.

How much did they ask for ? (If you can/want to share.)

Posted via Android Central App