Has anybody bought a phone from Amazon?

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
There are no hidden costs with purchasing from Amazon over directly from Verizon, but like many third party vendors, they have a secondary ETF if you are to cancel your service or change phones within a certain amount of time. I believe it is 180 days, but read the fine print to be certain. In order to get the subsidized price, it must be new on contract or an upgrade. You can activate it from home, or go into the store to activate, but you will be charged the $35 activation regardless.

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
There are no hidden costs with purchasing from Amazon over directly from Verizon, but like many third party vendors, they have a secondary ETF if you are to cancel your service or change phones within a certain amount of time. I believe it is 180 days, but read the fine print to be certain. In order to get the subsidized price, it must be new on contract or an upgrade. You can activate it from home, or go into the store to activate, but you will be charged the $35 activation regardless.

Assuming you're eligible for an upgrade, or adding the phone to an existing account, these terms are no different than buying it from Verizon. I know this post doesn't say otherwise, but it makes it sound a little scary. The $35 fee too is charged even if you buy the phone from Verizon.

The activation is very easy. They send you an email with very simple instructions. If it's an upgrade it involves powering off the old phone, then dialing a number from another phone. The only difference is you save some money.

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Bought mine from Amazon...have had no issues and when I needed a replacement, I was able to do it directly through Verizon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

44pirate

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Bought mine from Amazon...have had no issues and when I needed a replacement, I was able to do it directly through Verizon.

How did you go about getting your contacts restored to the new phone from the old phone?

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I synced through Google as I was coming from and HTC One X on ATT. Now if I have to swap phones, my contacts are on Google and the Verizon Backup Contacts.

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I've been buying phones via wirefly and amazon exclusively as they have better deals than Verizon. A couple of caveats, you must activate the phone within 15 days of ordering and as mentioned, there is a second etf if you cancel within 6 mos (180 days). I've had to call verizon everytime to activate, though, but its not that much of a hassle. Every thing is handled through verizon after the sale, ie service, warranty, etc.

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

I had the opposite result. I bought my GF'S Razr MAXX HD through Amazon. The Micro SD card slot is malfunctioned and we even proved this in the Verizon store. We did i within 30 days of buying the phone. However the manager at the Verizon store refused to exchange her phone since we bought it from Amazon.

Sent from my Droid Razr MAXX HD.

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
does this affect those grandfathered in with unlimited data? I presume you still lose that just like buying subsidized from VZW directly?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it's just like buying from Verizon. All the plans are the same price, no difference.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Add me to the list of those who bought his Maxx HD from Amazon and had no problems at all. If I recall correctly, it even arrived a bit sooner than they said it would.

Previously, I'd purchased all 3 of our household's phones via Amazon and also had no issues then.

jmyshral

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I have a question about porting service to AT&T through Amazon.

I would like to port my number to AT&T and get a GalaxyS4 through Amazon, and at the same time port my wife's number and buy an HTC One (we will sign up for a new mobile share data plan). She has an old (inactive) AT&T Blackberry that she wants to use as her primary device - can I activate it instead of the HTC One and sell the HTC One on eBay? Or do I have to activate the HTC One and then swap it for the old Blackberry?

R2Droid

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I understand this to be older post however, after placing you order with Amazon, did anyone receive e-mails from Amazon Wireless service that a conference call must take place between you, Amazon and carrier (in my case Sprint for Samsung Galaxy S4), before cell order can be shipped?
E-mails received stated that this must take place to resolve any credit authorization issues with carrier. I've been in touch with Sprint several times, who confirm no there are no issues with account and have never heard of this procedure regarding conference call. Sprint representative explained that once phone is received, to just contact Sprint to activate phone and plan.
Amazon went on to state that orders will be automatically cancelled if call didn't take place. This is odd. When order was place with Amazon, some information was needed to to confirm eligibility before placing order!
Very uncomfortable with this and may let order cancel and switch to different provider or purchase elsewhere.
Did come across post here regarding issues; facebook.com/AmazonWireless/posts/490085474347375
All comments are appreciated, thank you.

Last edited: