1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Default Has anybody bought a phone from Amazon?

This deal is pretty good. How does it work when you order a phone from Amazon. ANy hidden costs? Do I bring to Verizon store once I get it to set it up?
    Amazon.com: Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX HD 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless): Cell Phones & Accessories
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Default Re: Has anybody bought a phone from Amazon?

There are no hidden costs with purchasing from Amazon over directly from Verizon, but like many third party vendors, they have a secondary ETF if you are to cancel your service or change phones within a certain amount of time. I believe it is 180 days, but read the fine print to be certain. In order to get the subsidized price, it must be new on contract or an upgrade. You can activate it from home, or go into the store to activate, but you will be charged the $35 activation regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Stough View Post
    There are no hidden costs with purchasing from Amazon over directly from Verizon, but like many third party vendors, they have a secondary ETF if you are to cancel your service or change phones within a certain amount of time. I believe it is 180 days, but read the fine print to be certain. In order to get the subsidized price, it must be new on contract or an upgrade. You can activate it from home, or go into the store to activate, but you will be charged the $35 activation regardless.
    Assuming you're eligible for an upgrade, or adding the phone to an existing account, these terms are no different than buying it from Verizon. I know this post doesn't say otherwise, but it makes it sound a little scary. The $35 fee too is charged even if you buy the phone from Verizon.

The activation is very easy. They send you an email with very simple instructions. If it's an upgrade it involves powering off the old phone, then dialing a number from another phone. The only difference is you save some money.

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

Bought mine from Amazon...have had no issues and when I needed a replacement, I was able to do it directly through Verizon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blg923 View Post
    Bought mine from Amazon...have had no issues and when I needed a replacement, I was able to do it directly through Verizon.

How did you go about getting your contacts restored to the new phone from the old phone?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 44pirate View Post
    How did you go about getting your contacts restored to the new phone from the old phone?
    If you sync with gmail, they will sync to your phone in one of the steps of activation.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

Yes, I synced through Google as I was coming from and HTC One X on ATT. Now if I have to swap phones, my contacts are on Google and the Verizon Backup Contacts.

Only problem I had was that Amazon sent me a phone with a failed activation. Talking to Verizon did the trick, though.

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

I've been buying phones via wirefly and amazon exclusively as they have better deals than Verizon. A couple of caveats, you must activate the phone within 15 days of ordering and as mentioned, there is a second etf if you cancel within 6 mos (180 days). I've had to call verizon everytime to activate, though, but its not that much of a hassle. Every thing is handled through verizon after the sale, ie service, warranty, etc.

ROM
    I don't root.

Quote Originally Posted by blg923 View Post

I had the opposite result. I bought my GF'S Razr MAXX HD through Amazon. The Micro SD card slot is malfunctioned and we even proved this in the Verizon store. We did i within 30 days of buying the phone. However the manager at the Verizon store refused to exchange her phone since we bought it from Amazon.

Sent from my Droid Razr MAXX HD.
    Droid Razr MAXX HD since Dec 2012.

ROM
    Stock

does this affect those grandfathered in with unlimited data? I presume you still lose that just like buying subsidized from VZW directly?

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Yes, it's just like buying from Verizon. All the plans are the same price, no difference.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Yes, it's just like buying from Verizon. All the plans are the same price, no difference.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    OK, thanks,.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Add me to the list of those who bought his Maxx HD from Amazon and had no problems at all. If I recall correctly, it even arrived a bit sooner than they said it would.

Previously, I'd purchased all 3 of our household's phones via Amazon and also had no issues then.

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

I have a question about porting service to AT&T through Amazon.

I would like to port my number to AT&T and get a GalaxyS4 through Amazon, and at the same time port my wife's number and buy an HTC One (we will sign up for a new mobile share data plan). She has an old (inactive) AT&T Blackberry that she wants to use as her primary device - can I activate it instead of the HTC One and sell the HTC One on eBay? Or do I have to activate the HTC One and then swap it for the old Blackberry?