Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default can't exit accessibility mode

My phone has gotten in to some weird mode accessibility related where I have to first tap & hold an icon, then quickly double-tap it to open. It's talking to me for every action ("volume set to 5%, ringer set to vibrate", names of apps, battery level, etc) so I think this is accessibility related.

I can't do any action that requires dragging (changing screens, bringing down the notification bar, etc). I've been able to get in to settings b/c of a battery shortcut on homescreen then using the back button, but since I can't scroll once in settings, I can't get to Accessibility to check the settings there. I have the "double-tap home to access voice search" turned off so can't try "telling it" to go to accessibility.

I've tried restarting the phone (both forced power off and regular power off) but it just starts up in this mode again. Help!

Default Re: can't exit accessibility mode

open up your settings and scroll down to accessibility and uncheck the items. sounds like you somehow activated one or more. just turn it off.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

The problem is I can't scroll, every action requires three taps
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Never mind, I figured out I can scroll with two fingers! All fixed now.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Ok so the touch issues are fixed, but it's still taking to me and everything in accessibility except auto rotate is off
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

The setting that was causing problems before was "Talk Back", that is off now but my phone is still reading websites/emails to me. I can't figure out what setting to turn off to make this stop. The only text to speech settings I can find are for language, engine, etc, no option to turn it on/off. Any idea what setting this is? I've looked in Sound, Display, Accessibility, and Language & Input
    Last edited by me10lee83; 05-31-2013 at 08:49 PM.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Figured out how to make it stop talking too- that settings is Enhanced Web Accessibility, which "allows apps to install scripts to make their content more accessible". Since it doesn't saying anything about speech/talking I didn't realize that's what this was. After doing a bit of Googling seems I wasn't the only one whose phone was mysteriously talking to them! Seems like this feature could be explained a little better...

You made my day....i did switched on the accessibility option...and then started Nightmare....saw your post of swife with both fingers...haaa...able to switch offf.....

Aw thanks a mil...I rebooted my phone then couldnt enter the pin code until I read your advice of double tap...then the 2 finger scroll to get to settings.
    That Accessibility mode is a nightmare...must do it to my friends when I get a chance ;p

Thank you!!!!!! I was so frustrated not being able to scroll to turn off accessibility.

Can someone please help me my son put accessibility on my phone as well I cant get off the main screen saying double tab and swipe to unlock or get to my lock screen so I can put my password in but when I put the charger to the phone I was able to double tap ok