How to Play Specific Music Tracks in Vehicle with Jelly Bean and Bluetooth

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
You may have learned that Jelly Bean has removed the USB mass storage feature of your Android phone. One of the side effects is that your vehicle's Bluetooth system will no longer recognize your phone as a storage device. Practically speaking this means your vehicle cannot access tags in your phone's music library, i.e. you can't tell your vehicle, "play track Highway Star". (This will work if your music is stored on a thumb drive, but not your phone.)

I've discovered a workaround. I have a 2012 Ford F150 but I assume it would be similar on other makes/models of vehicles.

I put my F150 in bluetooth mode by saying "Bluetooth audio". Then I swipe upwards from the phone's dock to access Google Now searchbar. I then tap on the Google microphone icon and use the Google Voice Search feature to find the music track on my phone by saying, "Listen to Highway Star." Phone responds by saying "playing desired selection" and starts playing the song!

Be aware that some tracks you search for with Google Voice Search will return Web search results instead of playing the song but I'm getting about a 75% success rate.

Sent from my Razr Maxx HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87