- 47 Posts
Wifi problems. 2.4 GHz over 5 GHz?
My phone's WiFi works perfect at home and at other people's houses, but when I'm at work it doesn't work. It shows full blue bars yet I still can't access any webpage etc. In the WiFi advanced settings I have:
- "Avoid Poor Connections" unchecked
- "WiFi frequency band" set to auto rather than "5 GHz only" or 2.4 GHz only"
My company has great wifi and my coworker's phones don't have a problem. My work's WiFi also uses 5 GHz band. But I recently was fiddling around with the "WiFi frequency band" option and changed it from "Auto" to "2.4 GHz only". This completely solved the problem.
I guess my question is this. Is this the right thing to do? What is the difference between using 5GHz and 2.4 GHz? And does anyone know why switching my phone to 2.4 GHz when my work's WiFi is 5 GHz corrected the problem? All seems really odd to me
- 10-16-2013, 11:01 AM #2
- 180 Posts
Re: Wifi problems. 2.4 GHz over 5 GHz?
I turned off 5 GHz in my phone a year ago and that solved a lot of wifi problems.
- 10-16-2013, 01:20 PM #4
- 127 Posts
Re: Wifi problems. 2.4 GHz over 5 GHz?I guess my question is this. Is this the right thing to do? What is the difference between using 5GHz and 2.4 GHz? And does anyone know why switching my phone to 2.4 GHz when my work's WiFi is 5 GHz corrected the problem?
Because 5 GHz operates at a higher radio frequency than 2.4 GHz it has a harder time penetrating walls and other objects. Your work wifi probably pumps out both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.
- 10-18-2013, 11:34 PM #5
- By StarStrider in forum Sprint HTC OneReplies: 12Last Post: 11-22-2013, 05:14 PM
- By Itz Jony in forum Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300Replies: 3Last Post: 11-22-2013, 12:42 PM
- By vynlnandroid123 in forum Android App InventorReplies: 6Last Post: 11-06-2013, 12:22 AM
- By luvspuff13 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 2Replies: 3Last Post: 10-19-2013, 03:20 AM
- By sezzi1 in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1Replies: 3Last Post: 10-16-2013, 11:55 PM