Razr MAXX HD: Speaker turns on randomly during phone calls

ArtieTheOneManParty

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I have mostly noticed this while in my car. Recently, while on a BT call using my car's built in setup, the sound transferred from my car to the speakerphone on my phone. It doesn't disconnect from the car, but the sound stops coming out of the car speakers. If I "transfer to phone" then "transfer to hands free" in the car, it comes back on in the car no problem. The reason I'm posting here and not the car forum is that my speaker phone just turned on while I was in the middle of a conversation on my phone in my office (not in the car). My Maxx is stock, never rooted (at least not by me). Has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited by a moderator:

emock81

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Speaker turns on randomly during phone calls

I have had this happen to me while in a normal call without using BT. It was on normal mode then all of the sudden it turned on speaker and blasted my ear. It just happened to a friend of mine tonight too. He also has the same phone. This seems to be suddenly happen. How did this change without there being any updates?

rcw119

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site

This is happening all the time the last couple of weeks for me. Bluetooth, plugged in headset or the handset itself and it regularly switches to speaker. I'm on the phone a fair bit and it will happen multiple times on a call. Happens nearly every day.

gcrider900

May 1, 2013
Visit site

I've begun to have the same issue. 2013 Toyota Venza XLE V6 AWD with premium JBL audio and Nav system FWIW.

MVSGeek

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

This is happening to me as well. I am on hold with VZW. Going to second level support.

jphillips1963

Banned
Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Has anyone figured this problem out? Mine want even recognize any of my Bluetooth devices now. Verizon is sending me my third phone.
Best I can tell it has something do with cell reception or it appears to be. If I get a great signal the phone and Bluetooth works but once signal drops then the Bluetooth device impairs itself. Odd sounding I know but it's just an observation.

Viruzone

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site

I am using Droid Razr MAXX HD, Verizon sent me the new phone but the same problem...while on the call might be either on the Ear Piece or Bluetooth, the call changes to Speaker phone suddenly...its so irritating...might be Car Bluetooth or Bluetooth headset the same thing happens. but I can strongly tell this has nothing to do with the Device or any of the bluetooth headsets, this is something to do with any of the applications, earlier I have the same problem but that time someone suggested to uninstall the application called Viber..now I dont have Viber installed at all on the new applications...any suggestions would be highly appreciated..Thank You!

I have read a post somewhere, that the new update for Chrome is the culprit...I have uninstalled the updates for Chrome, its in observation. I will keep the group posted on the outcome...Stay tuned

rcw119

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site

I too believe this to be an app issue. Is there any way to see which apps request access to the dialer? I've deleted a couple of things I did add/update in the past month. One was a Klipsch headset control application that I had forgotten I added. That may very well be my culprit. On lots of calls this afternoon so that will be the test.

Viruzone

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
:cool:

I think uninstalling Chrome updates have done the Magic...I was on the call from past 90 minutes no change to speaker phone..generally on an average one hour call, it changes 3 -4 times, but right now I don't have that problem.

Still in observation...

Thanks

rcw119

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site

That didn't work. I too will try uninstalling Chrome updates...

I too believe this to be an app issue. Is there any way to see which apps request access to the dialer? I've deleted a couple of things I did add/update in the past month. One was a Klipsch headset control application that I had forgotten I added. That may very well be my culprit. On lots of calls this afternoon so that will be the test.

madell

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site

Same issue on a Droid Razr MAXX HD, but not happening quite as often. Please keep us advised on what seems to work. I've tried a few things but given how randomly it happens, it could be a while before I know for sure if anything worked.

ArtieTheOneManParty

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

I just uninstalled updates on Chrome, and disabled the app. I'll see how it goes. FWIW, this happened to me again last night in my wife's car, a 2013 Toyota Venza (my car is a 2013 Avalon, so similar radio interface). This does NOT happen to her RAZR MAXX, only my MAXX HD.

anon(5564484)

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

I've been having this same issue for a couple of weeks. I want to thank you all for starting and continuing this post as this had me befuddled. After reading though the posts, I disabled Chrome and will see if this resolves my problem. Dolphin browser, here I come.

Candie Winkel

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I have two identical DROID RAZR M's. One is having the problem and the other is not. The only difference between the one who's speakerphone is randomly turning on and the one who's not is a VERIZON CLOUD update on February 13, 2014. I update fanatically over WiFi and received the cloud update. My husband does not being a long haul trucker. My phone is having the speakerphone issue, his is not.

bobv1971

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
My Droid RAZR MAXX HD has just started this behavior over the last couple weeks, as well. I have not noticed it happening in the car yet, but it mostly happens just talking on the phone. Suddenly switches over to the speaker for no apparent reason.

smrdroid

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Same issue with my phone while using BT in my car. I think it started happening after I recently updated to latest Verizon software (which I delayed doing for a couple of months). I had a similar problem with a Droid Maxx, and it was never an issue with the Maxx HD until recently. Has anyone checked with Moto tech support? If people think it is an app, maybe we should list all the apps we're running (quite a few I'm sure) and see if there is any common app causing the issue?