Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SmokeNMirrors
  • 1 Post By linebusy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Getting to be that time again

Upgrades coming in 2 months. What is going to give me good radio, battery, screen, storage and build quality similar to the RMHD?
    Should I even be thinking S5 as a business user who's often in rural Michigan?
    One of the things that led to getting the RMHD was voice & data use simultaneously in 3g area (which there are still many in Michigan).
    Will M8 or S5 support simultaneous use in 3g?
    Is there Motorola product I should have on my shortlist?

Default Re: Getting to be that time again

I assume you're on Verizon, since you have a Razr Maxx HD. I don't think there are any current phones in the Verizon lineup that can do simultaneous voice and data on 3G. You might want to consider switching to another provider that uses GSM (like AT&T or T-Mobile), where that is possible, although you'd obviously need to check how their service is in your area as well.

If you want to stick with Verizon, have you thought about the Droid Maxx? Same great battery, with essentially the same features and performance as the Moto X. Plus, it seems to be built like a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I assume you're on Verizon, since you have a Razr Maxx HD. I don't think there are any current phones in the Verizon lineup that can do simultaneous voice and data on 3G. You might want to consider switching to another provider that uses GSM (like AT&T or T-Mobile), where that is possible, although you'd obviously need to check how their service is in your area as well.

If you want to stick with Verizon, have you thought about the Droid Maxx? Same great battery, with essentially the same features and performance as the Moto X. Plus, it seems to be built like a tank.
    Both the original HTC One and the new One support this.

Posted via the "Best Smartphone of 2013" One

It actually supports simultaneous voice and data on 3G? A quick search came up with results saying no SVDO on the M7 (I didn't search for the M8 yet). To clarify, I'm referring to simultaneous voice and data on 3G (when no 4G is available).

https://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/115983
    Verizon HTC ONE, simultaneous voice and data?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

This was one of those obscure requirements that led me to the RMHD to begin with. It would definitely be a deal-breaker, as I'm in 3g areas often. I might need to put the RMHD back in its protective case and stop living so dangerously (thinking a new phone was only a few weeks away).

Neither the m8 or s5 supports svdo.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=3552999

Verizon S5 supports svlte, but not svdo or volte. Radio info inside.

I dont know which moto phones you are talking about, but moto x and droid maxx do not support svdo either

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Sounds like the Razr HD line was the last one to have SVDO.

The RMHD is still a great phone and eventually due KitKat (version?). I plan on running mine through the next generation at least, perhaps two. There's no real reason to give up on its features, especially the peripheral hardware and radio. I still want HDMI on a wire and SD too. If it could somehow be upgraded to 2GB of RAM it could run another 4 years!
    linebusy likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Well, after 8 months of watching and waiting, I find absolutely no compelling reason to switch to another device. Just changed my wallpaper back to one of the droid images that came with the device and pulled it out of the protective case.... it's like having a new phone all over again. (not really, but refreshing anyway)

The size, styling, build quality and features of this thing are unrivaled.
    sspartan likes this.

My contract ends next month. I am thinking of going with the Droid Turbo

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by GatsbyGlen View Post
    My contract ends next month. I am thinking of going with the Droid Turbo

Good luck with that if you go. Just looking in the Turbo "where did you come from" thread, there are number of users that came from the RMHD.

If I went to a dedicated GPS, I might consider it, but It's not just the single 4g radio limitation of the Turbo that creates an issue for me, it's the lack of SVDO (simultaneous voice & data in 3g areas) on all Verizon phones right now. Killer.

Quote Originally Posted by linebusy View Post
    it's the lack of SVDO (simultaneous voice & data in 3g areas) on all Verizon phones right now. Killer.
    Isn't that going to be fixed soon?
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

They're going to fix simultaneous voice/data over 4g by switching voice to VoLTE when that's ready for the Turbo.

3g only had a few models support simultaneous voice/data. The Thunderbolt and the RMHD were 2 of those models, which covers the last 4 years of my usage.

Quote Originally Posted by linebusy View Post
    Good luck with that if you go. Just looking in the Turbo "where did you come from" thread, there are number of users that came from the RMHD.

If I went to a dedicated GPS, I might consider it, but It's not just the single 4g radio limitation of the Turbo that creates an issue for me, it's the lack of SVDO (simultaneous voice & data in 3g areas) on all Verizon phones right now. Killer.
    I will have to check that thread out. I have actually considered getting a dedicated GPS device for the car. However, the phone is nice because I can do music and GPS at the same time. Not sure if I can do that with a dedicated device without switching inputs.